It's a gift 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's a test 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Neither/I'm not religious 100%  100%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 7

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 2:45 pm

Unlikely, mostly because it's highly unlikely that one or more gods exist or have existed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 1:16 pm

It's a gift from The Devil. They never turn out as good as they could be.

AS has the potential to be real gift - but it comes with a lot of issues and leads others into temptation (people feel tempted to bully us and God doesn't approve bullying = a chance for more people to go to hell). It is also difficult for Aspies to have faith so the gift also leads us straight to hell, by not believing in God and by thinking by ourselves, without listening blindly to what The Church says.

Yeah. I am a lost case too.
I wonder when and how I signed the devil's pact. :twisted:

MrsPeel wrote:
Neither gift nor test, just a genetic roll of the dice.

I believe there must be an evolutionary benefit to having a few autistic traits in the gene pool, for autism to remain with us (even when so many autistics don't have kids). Though it is hard to see what that benefit might be, sometimes.

It isn't that hard to figure out. Look at Einstein or Bill Gates. Science and technology need autistic genes. Without "autistic touch" (be it logical mind, hyperfocus, or sensory sensitivity) it would be pretty difficult to discover anything because people would just focus on social life and having sex.

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 1:49 pm

Kiriae wrote:
It isn't that hard to figure out. Look at Einstein or Bill Gates. Science and technology need autistic genes. Without "autistic touch" (be it logical mind, hyperfocus, or sensory sensitivity) it would be pretty difficult to discover anything because people would just focus on social life and having sex.

You obviously haven't met many scientists then. The scientists I know are all NT and very much do have social lives and sex! Just look at Richard Feynman: those lap dancing clubs he frequented don't seem to have prevented his winning the Nobel Prize!

It's not been confirmed that either Gates or Einstein have/had autism. That Einstein had delayed speech as a child proves nothing; that could've been caused by several other things. The only two highly famous scientists who were plausibly autistic were Newton and Cavendish, and even Cavendish could have been schizoid instead of autistic.

Autism doesn't magically create geniuses, and I'm sick of hearing people suggest it does. I'm "high functioning", but my executive functioning issues still made it impossible for me to achieve anything near what many in my family did.

Unless they had rare savant skills, the autistic people who achieved academic success often did so in spite of, not because of, the condition.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 4:45 pm

Kiriae wrote:
It's a gift from The Devil. They never turn out as good as they could be.

Maybe because ASD = Antichrist Satan Devil ;)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 1:32 pm

I see it and my other difficulties as a test.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2018, 5:13 pm

If this poll kept going I would of voted it as a gift, but in reality I believe it is an aspect of an individual, neither good nor bad but necessary.

I cannot help but wish there was a group specifically for autistic Christians. Because frankly, I don't even want to try it when those who do not believe are just likely to bash on it, instead of contributing. I say that from experience, not out of anger.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2018, 8:59 pm

Arganger wrote:
If this poll kept going I would of voted it as a gift, but in reality I believe it is an aspect of an individual, neither good nor bad but necessary.

I cannot help but wish there was a group specifically for autistic Christians. Because frankly, I don't even want to try it when those who do not believe are just likely to bash on it, instead of contributing. I say that from experience, not out of anger.

I know exactly what you mean. I wander into this sub forum sometimes, but I had a tremendous amount of trouble trying to say anything and it was just an unending Christian hating slugfest. I learned how best to answer skeptics, but once I figured the trick out I quickly got bored. I won’t bore you with the final nails in the coffin, but short story things got dull and I had a hard time avoiding the wrath of mods due to issues regarding protected classes.

But the basic formula is this: If you really are a Christian, then you are already aware of how lame the idea of God being unknowable really is. If you already know God, you aren’t under any obligation whatsoever to prove to anyone He exists. All arguments to the contrary fall apart at this point because you see just how insane those arguments are. You’ll also come to understand that the “classical” arguments that “prove” God exists are really kinda silly because they all accept the premise that there is no God and attempt to build a case for God from there.

Although I will say the Kalam variation of the cosmological argument is STRONG: “Everything that begins to exist has a cause.” The only problem with that argument is while it proves that a Creator exists, it doesn’t solve the problem of which god is the Creator. However, it might be all you need to start a conversation with a seeker. You’ll then have to answer for why YOUR god is God, and that’s always a very personal thing.

Anyway... You’re not alone!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 3:00 am

Dataunit wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

You obviously haven't met many scientists then. The scientists I know are all NT and very much do have social lives and sex! Just look at Richard Feynman: those lap dancing clubs he frequented don't seem to have prevented his winning the Nobel Prize!

It's not been confirmed that either Gates or Einstein have/had autism. That Einstein had delayed speech as a child proves nothing; that could've been caused by several other things. The only two highly famous scientists who were plausibly autistic were Newton and Cavendish, and even Cavendish could have been schizoid instead of autistic.

Autism doesn't magically create geniuses, and I'm sick of hearing people suggest it does. I'm "high functioning", but my executive functioning issues still made it impossible for me to achieve anything near what many in my family did.

Unless they had rare savant skills, the autistic people who achieved academic success often did so in spite of, not because of, the condition.

I never said you need to have full blown out autism to be a scientist. But you must admit all scientists have SOME traits, such as logical mind(to figure stuff out), intense focus (to keep going with the research) or sensory sensivities (strong nose helps in chemistry field, sensitivity to noise gives birth to the idea of improving walls, cars, computers, headphones etc). The question was about an evolutionary benefit to having A FEW autistic traits in the gene pool. Of course people who get them all are unlucky (autism is the side effect of having autistic genes in the gene pool) - but autistic genes in NTs are needed or else we stay in caves.

Because autistic genes are not a bad thing - they are pretty useful actually. The problem starts when there is too many of them in one person. Balance is a key. We are not a different race. Every NT has a few autistic genes - thats why autistics are born in NT families. We just happen to have too many of them.

Everything is bad for you when overdosed but it doesn't mean medicine is bad, right?

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 3:59 am

If it's a gift from God, I hope He saved the receipt. Wakka wakka wakka!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 4:06 am

Barchan wrote:
If it's a gift from God, I hope He saved the receipt. Wakka wakka wakka!

Maybe god will let you go back to Nordstrom's to exchange it for something else. :D