Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2018, 4:28 pm

I have been doing some research and it seems that there is a trend in the Aspie/HFA community in either being, or preferring to be, self employed.

Some of the greatest entrepreneurs of our time like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were rumored to be Aspies/HFAs.

I personally work a home heath provider job and I am a line cook at one of my local restaurants, but I would greatly prefer to make my programming hobbie a job at some point.

So, what line of work are you in(self employed/working for a business)? Which would prefer?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 2:06 am

Office work for the regional government.

Homebrand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2018, 10:48 am

I do work :( Somedays I feel like a bum. I'm about to start studying again though, luuuuve studying
It just a disability course so Its not gonna be very challenging but at least its something.
Must admit though with the social anxiety I've got going on lately the idea having a job scares the crap out of me.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:37 pm

I work in a crappy part-time retail position. But I don’t have Asperger’s syndrome - I’ve been diagnosed with autism and ADHD.

giveen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2018, 4:44 pm

IT Support for a university, waiting for a position to open up in information security or server engineer

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 4:38 pm

JakeASD wrote:
I work in a crappy part-time retail position. But I don’t have Asperger’s syndrome - I’ve been diagnosed with autism and ADHD.

From one combo meal to another: "WOO HOO!" and "Dude I am so sorry."

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 4:44 pm

I'm a full stack developer/engineer for one of the big dogs.

It is one of those things were I have worked for 10 different companies in the last 20 years, working my way to this point. Finding a place where I could continue to grow/earn as a producer without being required to shift into management (ew gross).

The work is fiercely challenging from day to day, and I work alongside people who make me feel perpetually inadequate, but it keeps me focused.

I've never done health care OR food service (OR retail) and I give you mad props for being able to pull that off. Those are skillsets I do not have.