Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2018, 10:41 am

I know that this might be a trivial problem and, given the demeanor of a lot of posters on WP, make quite a few people mad but I am tired of people saying these words all the time. I live in a Northern state and this is considered rude in many cases to address people by sir or madam. Reasons:

1. It is considered to be unequal. Northern states are more egalitarian vs the South and it's considered odd to address someone by these names.

2. It's considered shrill and just sound harsh.

3. They are outdated. When someone addresses me by sir/madam it makes me think they are stuck in the past and in addition implying that I am an old fogy. People in younger generations like my own often find sir/madam to be quite insulting in that manner. Put it this way: if you were a stranger and addressed me by sir/madam I probably wouldn't take you seriously on anything you say nor would I consider doing business with you.

4. Using sir/madam repeatedly in a conversation in some cases can also be rude as it is considered pushing a person's gender into their face. It's like repeating someone's name several times in the same sentence and implies the person is an idiot or inept.

Yes, this post probably comes across as rude itself but there are a lot of people from other states relocating up here who don't bother learning about the local culture and it's getting tiresome. The locals don't adapt to you, YOU adapt to their community. Yes, there are people from Northern states who move south or west and don't adapt to their new home. However, I live up here...you don't. We are discussing the North, not the south or west. Yes, you might come from a community where the social rules are different but that is no excuse to not attempt to abide by what is considered normal up here.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 8:42 pm

So that isn't said up north? My family from upstate NY said it.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 2:37 pm

I've lived all of my 63 years in northern states. Sir or Madam is perfectly acceptable between strangers, as in "excuse me sir, but I was in line and you stepped in front of me" or "Ma'am, did you decide what you want to order?" I would think it weird if someone I worked around or lived near or met at a party called me ma'am, but between strangers, it's a way of being polite.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Apr 2018, 5:49 am

I lived in Louisiana till I moved to Vermont about 5 & a half years ago. Like BeaArthur, I still hear sir & madam being used. Noone ever acted like me saying that was weird or anything.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 8:37 am

I missed the part on what you consider normal. Or what you would prefer to be called.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 11:14 am

We use Sir(Pan) and Madam(Pani) a lot in Polish. I didn't mind it when I were a kid - everyone but other kids and my parents/family were Pan/Pani. It made life easy. I only had trouble with aunts and uncles I didn't know well because I couldn't figure out if I should call them Pan/Pani or uncle/aunt.

Everything become different when I become an adult - suddenly I had to distinguish between adults younger and same age with me, with lower or equal social status, friends and people that told me to drop the Pan/Pani with them ("you") and adults older than me, with higher social status and strangers ("Pan/Pani"). It's a difficult task with my face blindness, poor people reading, poor age guessing ability and poor people memory.

Not to mention some people I always called "Pani" now want me to call them by their name, for example my mom's friend. It's awkward.

I also find myself unable to become accustomed to being called "Pani", especially by kids (it's different in a job place or university where it's normal to call everyone Pan/Pani unless told otherwise due to the formal rules). 6 year old will come up to me now and ask "Can Madam play with us?" instead of "Can you play with us?". It's just so weird!
And kids from my family that were calling me by my name a few years ago now call me aunt, because I am an adult!

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm

Haha, most of the time I still use these polite forms automatically. Like Kiriae, I learned and used these these forms to strangers and older people when I was a kid. I find it difficult to unlearn this, so most of the time I still use it without even realizing it.

As a funny side note:
You can use these words in a subtle derogatory way, in which they imply staleness and distance.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 4:59 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I've lived all of my 63 years in northern states. Sir or Madam is perfectly acceptable between strangers, as in "excuse me sir, but I was in line and you stepped in front of me" or "Ma'am, did you decide what you want to order?" I would think it weird if someone I worked around or lived near or met at a party called me ma'am, but between strangers, it's a way of being polite.

This is not my experience, at least with younger generations (I've lived in the Midwest my whole life). With the elderly demographics, maybe, but not with people in my age group and younger. I don't use sir or madam because I see it as outdated and shrill personally. I find it weird for younger crowds to use those names as I find it incredibly old fashioned to say them, at least to other young adults.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 5:42 pm

aikoinazuma wrote:
I find it weird for younger crowds to use those names as I find it incredibly old fashioned to say them, at least to other young adults.

I think what you're really saying is: "I will not conform". It's quite common for someone your age, nowadays, unfortunately----and doubly common, it seems, for an ASDer (while, all-the-while, expecting others to conform to them). You'll probably grow out of it, and you'll get to be 50 or 60-something, and be appalled at the bad manners of the youngin' who didn't say it, to you.

In one way, I can understand it----every young person wants to be different / rebel / make their mark in the world, or whatever (IMO, that is the reason for so many "kids" with so many different colors of hair, and posting in all lowercase, for instance, and a myriad of other stuff). On the other hand, however, if I was around a young person whom I heard NOT use it when addressing a senior person, that would be a strike against them, right off the bat----along with if they didn't say "please" and "thankyou".

They would, IMO, be better-off finding another way to be different----other than a way that ticks-off the populace----especially, if they're, then, gonna whine that nobody likes them, or whatever, which, it seems, they inevitably do.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 7:29 pm

> "I live in a Northern state and this is considered rude in many cases to address people by sir or madam."

I also live in a Northern state and I'd say it certainly isn't considered rude. It's polite.

There Are Four Lights!

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2018, 9:41 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
aikoinazuma wrote:
I find it weird for younger crowds to use those names as I find it incredibly old fashioned to say them, at least to other young adults.

I think what you're really saying is: "I will not conform". It's quite common for someone your age, nowadays, unfortunately----and doubly common, it seems, for an ASDer (while, all-the-while, expecting others to conform to them). You'll probably grow out of it, and you'll get to be 50 or 60-something, and be appalled at the bad manners of the youngin' who didn't say it, to you.

In one way, I can understand it----every young person wants to be different / rebel / make their mark in the world, or whatever (IMO, that is the reason for so many "kids" with so many different colors of hair, and posting in all lowercase, for instance, and a myriad of other stuff). On the other hand, however, if I was around a young person whom I heard NOT use it when addressing a senior person, that would be a strike against them, right off the bat----along with if they didn't say "please" and "thankyou".

They would, IMO, be better-off finding another way to be different----other than a way that ticks-off the populace----especially, if they're, then, gonna whine that nobody likes them, or whatever, which, it seems, they inevitably do.

You misanalyzed me. (For the record, 50 and 60 somethings aren't old.) I've been around the block before and this isn't some kid rebellion thing and I could care less what other people my age are doing. From the culture I grew up around this was the norm so you read me wrong - not using sir/madam was the norm.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 7:30 pm

I've been called honey a couple times recently.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 7:37 pm

I grew up in Michigan, where it is not only permissible to call strangers "sir" or "ma'am", but it is expected, especially if the stranger is a law-enforcement officer. Even calling a waitress by the name on her blouse might get you an odd look from her and a polite visit from her manager (please don't ask me how I know this).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:50 pm

Calling a waitress by her first name is a way to emphasize the probably already obvious fact that you've looked at her boobs.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Last edited by Spiderpig on 10 Aug 2018, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 12:21 am

We should just call everyone sir, so it can be like Star Trek or many other sci fi shows where the woman commanders and such are also called sir not just males. They seem to have omitted madam in the sci fi future...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 1:57 am

aikoinazuma wrote:
I know that this might be a trivial problem and, given the demeanor of a lot of posters on WP, make quite a few people mad but I am tired of people saying these words all the time. I live in a Northern state and this is considered rude in many cases to address people by sir or madam. Reasons:

1. It is considered to be unequal. Northern states are more egalitarian vs the South and it's considered odd to address someone by these names.

2. It's considered shrill and just sound harsh.

3. They are outdated. When someone addresses me by sir/madam it makes me think they are stuck in the past and in addition implying that I am an old fogy. People in younger generations like my own often find sir/madam to be quite insulting in that manner. Put it this way: if you were a stranger and addressed me by sir/madam I probably wouldn't take you seriously on anything you say nor would I consider doing business with you.

4. Using sir/madam repeatedly in a conversation in some cases can also be rude as it is considered pushing a person's gender into their face. It's like repeating someone's name several times in the same sentence and implies the person is an idiot or inept.

Yes, this post probably comes across as rude itself but there are a lot of people from other states relocating up here who don't bother learning about the local culture and it's getting tiresome. The locals don't adapt to you, YOU adapt to their community. Yes, there are people from Northern states who move south or west and don't adapt to their new home. However, I live up here...you don't. We are discussing the North, not the south or west. Yes, you might come from a community where the social rules are different but that is no excuse to not attempt to abide by what is considered normal up here.

West of the Missippi to the west coast it's not uncommon to use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing a customer or stranger, particularly when trying to get their attention.

Last edited by Chronos on 10 Aug 2018, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.