Boy scouts accepting girls. No safe place for boys.

Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 1:47 pm

Misslizard wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I never got to attend a camp like this when I was in GS.Maybe if the boys would share their awesome camps with the girls.
https://youtu.be/cMBNDdsYJ_A
The bunk house we stayed in looked nothing like this.
The most exciting thing was the giant rat that also was camping in the bunk house at the same time.Maybe hoping for cookie crumbs.

I only went to camp once. It was the red cross (boy and girl) camp in the middle of the Swedish forests. It was absolutely awesome. We built rafts and did survival training. I would love to send my two girls to something similar.

Sounds great,way better than my experience.All kids should get a chance to do something like that.

I agree. I think most children have an inherent interest in nature and climbing and those types of activities. I saw a documentaria on Yakutsk boys who lived a nomad life in Siberia. They were 6 or 7 but were almost completely self reliant in the Siberian tundra. They were able to hitch and drive sled dogs and fish and hunt for the family on their own and so on. But every year they would attend boarding school for a few months and the differences between their lives at home and in a modern western style boarding school were stark. At the boarding school they were treates like babies. The staff would even bathe them. I think sometimes we hinder children's development unintentionally.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 4:16 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I never got to attend a camp like this when I was in GS.Maybe if the boys would share their awesome camps with the girls.
The most exciting thing was the giant rat that also was camping in the bunk house at the same time.Maybe hoping for cookie crumbs.

I was in Boy Scouts. Never went camping, never went to a camp. We did arts and crafts inside. One time we went around collecting cans to raise money, we sold pepperoni sticks too. I hear they sell candy now as well.

I’m sure there’s locations where Girl Scouts go camping and attend camps.
My area has camps that rent to anyone. Girl Scouts could use it, for that matter Boy Scouts could have too. Only camping or camps I’d di was with royal rangers and church youth group. Both Boy Scouts and asumming Girl Scouts suck in my area. And we are surrounded by national forests and camp grounds. But I’m a city person. Maybe Boy Scouts in rural areas go camping and to camps. I’m just saying the whole Boy Scouts have all the fun isn’t true it’s entierly location specific. My areas Boy Scouts are urban or they were i dont know how they are now(I’m 30 and nit in Boy Scouts nor do I have or know kids.) we also didn’t have boys and girls organization in my area growing up. We did have campfire which tooo boys and girls. They seemed to do cool things, they also got out of school some days. That’s all I know about them. Boy Scouts came and recruited all the time at my school. They showed fancy brochures with cartoon of awesome camps we never got to go to.

Royal rangers on the other hand, thought us how to sharpen knives, start fires without matches or lighters, how to find and make trails, how to build shelters in snow etc. church got rid of them though. They also taught us how to shoot guns. Gun safety and the such. Had annual camps. Along with the older kids going on survival camp outs.
That’s what Boy Scouts should been like.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 6:57 pm

Hey Sly.

You should join a Boy Scout troop as a leader. You know all this stuff. This will certainly build your self-esteem.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 12:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Sly.

You should join a Boy Scout troop as a leader. You know all this stuff. This will certainly build your self-esteem.

Now, that is a really good idea.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 11:31 am

Chronos wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I only went to camp once. It was the red cross (boy and girl) camp in the middle of the Swedish forests. It was absolutely awesome. We built rafts and did survival training. I would love to send my two girls to something similar.

Sounds great,way better than my experience.All kids should get a chance to do something like that.

I agree. I think most children have an inherent interest in nature and climbing and those types of activities. I saw a documentaria on Yakutsk boys who lived a nomad life in Siberia. They were 6 or 7 but were almost completely self reliant in the Siberian tundra. They were able to hitch and drive sled dogs and fish and hunt for the family on their own and so on. But every year they would attend boarding school for a few months and the differences between their lives at home and in a modern western style boarding school were stark. At the boarding school they were treates like babies. The staff would even bathe them. I think sometimes we hinder children's development unintentionally.

That’s awful they were treated like babies,I’m sure they were capable of bathing themselves.How invasive.They probably were much more mature and self reliant than the other children.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 11:36 am

sly279 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I was in Boy Scouts. Never went camping, never went to a camp. We did arts and crafts inside. One time we went around collecting cans to raise money, we sold pepperoni sticks too. I hear they sell candy now as well.

My area has camps that rent to anyone. Girl Scouts could use it, for that matter Boy Scouts could have too. Only camping or camps I’d di was with royal rangers and church youth group. Both Boy Scouts and asumming Girl Scouts suck in my area. And we are surrounded by national forests and camp grounds. But I’m a city person. Maybe Boy Scouts in rural areas go camping and to camps. I’m just saying the whole Boy Scouts have all the fun isn’t true it’s entierly location specific. My areas Boy Scouts are urban or they were i dont know how they are now(I’m 30 and nit in Boy Scouts nor do I have or know kids.) we also didn’t have boys and girls organization in my area growing up. We did have campfire which tooo boys and girls. They seemed to do cool things, they also got out of school some days. That’s all I know about them. Boy Scouts came and recruited all the time at my school. They showed fancy brochures with cartoon of awesome camps we never got to go to.

Royal rangers on the other hand, thought us how to sharpen knives, start fires without matches or lighters, how to find and make trails, how to build shelters in snow etc. church got rid of them though. They also taught us how to shoot guns. Gun safety and the such. Had annual camps. Along with the older kids going on survival camp outs.

Yuck, your troop sounds like what a Girl Scout troop would do.Our’s had sleep overs at the troop leaders house.Boring.And the girls had their own cliques and most were mean.
Maybe it depends on the region.There are always Boy Scouts around the national river here doing rock climbing and other fun stuff.One time we went to the river and there was about a hundred Eagle Scouts there.They explored the park without being followed around by a nanny troop leader.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 11:41 am

When you were in Boy Scouts, Sly, how far did you go?

I was a Boy Scout for one year; I never got past Tenderfoot.

I believe it's a fine organization, though.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2018, 12:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Sly.

I don’t have the income or the car to be a scout leader.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2018, 1:39 am

Misslizard wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Yuck, your troop sounds like what a Girl Scout troop would do.Our’s had sleep overs at the troop leaders house.Boring.And the girls had their own cliques and most were mean.
Maybe it depends on the region.There are always Boy Scouts around the national river here doing rock climbing and other fun stuff.One time we went to the river and there was about a hundred Eagle Scouts there.They explored the park without being followed around by a nanny troop leader.

One time we made clay pots. That was fun. But yeah we didn’t do stuff outside.
I don’t see Boy Scouts around here, just Girl Scouts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2018, 12:22 pm

Maybe not for "Head Scoutmaster"--but you can play some adult role in the troop.