Boy scouts accepting girls. No safe place for boys.

Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 6:59 am

sly279 wrote:

Joined freely is far different then being forced to join. And usually it’s poor men who join most. Just to make any kind of money not even for college. Poor people can get grants, I did and there’s a lot more grants for women then men. Also as a woman you couldn’t serv in combat like men do. That’s changing but not when you were in. Imagine being forced to go fight in Vietnam where a lot of men die who didn’t have any choice.

No, the military was my only ticket out of my economically depressed small town.

And no, I wasn't in the infantry, but I did spend 8 years working with cancer-causing chemicals.

Quote:
Also you lucky they let you join, aspies are banned from joining now. So as a poor man I couldn’t even join the military to make money. I had to lose all my friends and watch them join up and leave all why they ask me why I’m auch a coward for not joining
Which is something I get a lot from people in person and online. But I’m not a coward I tried to join but how do I explain to them why I couldn’t without telling them I have autism :/

Considering your distorted view of what military service involves, I'd say you were quite lucky to get rejected.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 7:15 am

Misslizard wrote:
I was a Girl Scout and it was lame.We only went camping once and not even in real tents,it was a building.We had one pitiful lesson in building a fire and the troop leader was lousy at it.
Maybe it’s different now,but then the Boy Scouts had more fun, better camping and stuff like float trips.Girl scouts sold cookies.
Boring.

This^^^^

Girl Scouts were really lame....

I spent my entire childhood being interested in things that girls were not permitted to do. I did push to do a lot of things: shop in school, camping, outdoor chores, survival skills, anything outdoors, but was rarely successful when young. While problems still exist, it is not as bad as it was.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 3:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
^^Well with all respect... I have the feeling I would not be the biggest fan of a few of your parents choices and sentiments. But who am I to judge, barely keeping my own head over the water at times.

Confident parents should be all about spreading the net wide for their children in terms of allowing them to connect and learn from a wealth of individuals (of both genders) on their own terms. I remember when I was 5 or 6 and my mother would force me to go out and play on Saturdays and I would just sit in the basement and wait out the time until I could go home again. At this time a woman in her 20s or so connected with me and would invite me around to her flat to play "mastermind" and we would play for hours. I wish I could find this woman and thank her. She literally threw me a life-line, it was so much more than just sitting there playing this game over and over (she must have been bored stiff) it was recognition that everything is "ok" and it's ok to not want to be social and just do this instead. It was also something my mum would never ever have done with me and a level on which she never would have connected and interacted with me at that age and I felt like a "small adult" and that was really a great feeling.

When I see boys growing up in my immediate environment and I see them being in female dominated institutions for such a significant part of their youth, I do worry about them finding similar role-models and adults to connect with in that similar way. At my daughter's playgroup for example the boys are basically viewed as a gang of destructive and loud hooligans and (in my opinion) often get less constructive input from the teachers. They can be destructive and they can be wild, but I don't see much effort being put into re-directing that energy in creative ways. In school, children are forced to be very still and packed into large classes and once again I see boys being humiliated far more often than girls when they can't achieve the required amount of physical stillness and lack of fidgeting. Seriously, these kids are sometimes just 4 years old when they are required to spend much of the day in passive pursuits. It is not really realistic and whilst detrimental to all, it is particularly detrimental for many of the boys who are young starters. In the same vein most boys are then treated (by adults) as built to be able to sustain a certain level of physical assault without even mentioning it. One of my favourite of my daughter's "boy" friends started school young and has had the worst year of school-ground bullying and being pushed about at an age where he can't even verbalise it with ease and my experience is very much that instead of stepping in adults have taken the line that he should just grin and bear it because this is what is expected of a boy in the playground. It would be interesting to see how they would have responded had it been a girl. Or indeed if it had been a boy behaving to a girl in this way.

In my mind, this would be the only reason to have separate sex pursuits like boy scouts as needs might be quite different at certain ages and so pandering to some "middle ground" might be detrimental to both but then if there were more effective and creative adults involved in leading these groups then perhaps it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

All kindergarten nurses (we start school at age 3 here), and all my elementary teachers were female- those had always been female-exclusive positions ; and I highly doubt that most parents would change want to change that.

I am entirely sure that the vast majority of parents of both boys and girls wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving their kids with adult males.

My niece and nephew's preschool teacher was male but that is highly unusual and there are a few female aids in the class. My sister did have reservations at first.

I think it's a little less controversial for a man to be an elementary school teacher though it's still uncommon here. One exclusively male occupation that involves close contact with young children is playing Santa Claus. Every year malls and other shopping venues hire men who dress up the Santa Claus and the children come sit on his lap and tell them what they want for Christmas. It's one of the socially acceptable ways for men who like children to interact with children in our society who are not their's.

Also a lot of puppet shows are put on by men and a lot of children songs are written by men. I've known at least three men who write children's songs. One of them was a physicist and the other two were doctors but not pediatricians.

Personally I think men should be an active part of children's lives because some of those children are going to grow up to be men and some of those children are going to grow up to be the wives of men. As in any situation where children are involved we just need to be cognizant of their personal safety needs. At my niece and nephews preschool the children are never alone with one single adult. In the situation of Santa Claus the children are never alone with the man who plays Santa Claus and Santa Claus and his hands are in view of everyone.

In most situations when men molest children, they do so out of view of others. A male counselor at one of my schools had been molesting little boys there. His counseling office had windows but he had put curtains on them and often kept them closed. Parents had also given him permission to give their sons rides home in his car.

At another school, it was discovered a class aide had engaged with inappropriate sexual conduct with a teenaged girl. In this instance though, the aide was female, but like with the man, she isolated her victim.

When it comes to what is safer for their kids; they totally wouldn’t give a damn what’s egalitarian and what’s non sexist; they hear in the news more frequently cases of assaults by male pedophile than female pedophiles.

I think elsapelsa lives in an alternate reality.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:01 pm

If boys want to sell cookies, sew and learn how to be homemakers, they should be able to join the girls scout. Girls want to join the boy scout because the boy scouts actually do camping, survival and stuff.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 4:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

elsapelsa lives in Sweden. I have some knowledge of this culture because I have a Swedish daughter-in-law and a Swedish grandson. There are elements of Swedish society that are much more egalitarian and community oriented than other Western cultures, especially the US.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 2:52 am

blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

elsapelsa lives in Sweden. I have some knowledge of this culture because I have a Swedish daughter-in-law and a Swedish grandson. There are elements of Swedish society that are much more egalitarian and community oriented than other Western cultures, especially the US.

Sweden is then the alternate reality.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 3:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

My husband would agree with you on both accounts. :lol:

.....But saying that... I did leave Sweden when I was 15 to live abroad alone and I have managed to survive all over the world ever since without coming to any harm. So.... my alternate reality set me up really well for surviving the world!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 9:05 am

elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

.....But saying that... I did leave Sweden when I was 15 to live abroad alone and I have managed to survive all over the world ever since without coming to any harm. So.... my alternate reality set me up really well for surviving the world!

You should move to Saudi Arabia to experience something...excitingly new for you |\_/|

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 9:33 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

You should move to Saudi Arabia to experience something...excitingly new for you |\_/|

Well thanks for the tip Boo, always nice with new travel destinations. :wink: I could dig out my niquab and it would be good to practise my fusha which is fairly rusty by now.

I lived in Cairo and frequently spent time in madrasas in fairly dodgy areas on the city limits, also i hitch-hiked through much of Malaysia as an 18 year old, biked much of northern Vietnam in no-tourist areas with all my belongings on my back, got stuck in a storm in Cambodia 20 years ago before there were proper roads when a bridge collapsed, the list goes on. I can handle myself.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 9:52 am

elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Well thanks for the tip Boo, always nice with new travel destinations. :wink: I could dig out my niquab and it would be good to practise my fusha which is fairly rusty by now.

I lived in Cairo and frequently spent time in madrasas in fairly dodgy areas on the city limits, also i hitch-hiked through much of Malaysia as an 18 year old, biked much of northern Vietnam on a no-gear bike with all my belongings on my back, got stuck in a storm in Cambodia 20 years ago before there were proper roads when a bridge collapsed, the list goes on.

I can handle myself.

You go girl.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 9:58 am

I never got to attend a camp like this when I was in GS.Maybe if the boys would share their awesome camps with the girls.
https://youtu.be/cMBNDdsYJ_A
The bunk house we stayed in looked nothing like this.
The most exciting thing was the giant rat that also was camping in the bunk house at the same time.Maybe hoping for cookie crumbs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:03 am

Elsa can really write an interesting autobiography.....I'm jealous LOL

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:15 am

elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I lived in Cairo and frequently spent time in madrasas in fairly dodgy areas on the city limits, also i hitch-hiked through much of Malaysia as an 18 year old, biked much of northern Vietnam in no-tourist areas with all my belongings on my back, got stuck in a storm in Cambodia 20 years ago before there were proper roads when a bridge collapsed, the list goes on. I can handle myself.

Noob.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:16 am

It's a pity that Elsa's taken---and I'm taken.

C'est la vie....

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:17 am

and niqab is not mandatory in Egypt; not even the veil.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:25 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
and niqab is not mandatory in Egypt; not even the veil.

Very true, but my teachers all wore it and when I went with them for Friday prayers I wore it to be respectful.

In fact dressing culturally appropriately has been my greatest aid when travelling alone. Even in places like Thailand 20 years ago or so, it may be very different now, but I got a lot of assistance and help and kindness from locals who would outright say to me that they were helping me because I respected their culture (I would always cover arms and legs) tourists would walk around wearing bikini tops in the street and local men would comment that this was inappropriate.