Honest critique of my art and how to better sell art

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HarmandVonGolddd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2018, 9:53 pm

Hello there everyone

My name is Harmand Von Golddd and I am a DJ/Producer/Artist in the Bay Area. I recently created this account for professional reasons and to get folks like all of you aspies (or whatever PC term you want to be called) to be a fan of my arts.

Anyway, here is my soundcloud: soundcloud . com / harmandvongolddd and here is my instagram: instagram . com / harmandvongoldddart /.

I also just wanted to know if my art is good and if the pricing of my art is fair or not.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 6:02 pm

you came to a site for people with a different approach to social interaction to advertise yourself. so you'll have to deal with my lack of politeness yourself.

are you being serious? have you seen art before? I'm not telling you you can't do it. but this is not it. if you can't see the difference, learn to see it. If you can't learn it, leave it.

HarmandVonGolddd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2018, 9:09 pm

Can you tell me what the difference is? I am curious to know.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 6:05 pm

In the words of Patrick Doorly: Art is high quality endeavour.
The aspiration to make something "as good as", or "better than".
an engagement of what it is you're doing, trying to do.

let me ask this way: have you ever made a drawing, decided is was not good enough, and tried the same thing again?

HarmandVonGolddd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2018, 7:12 pm

I'm always trying different techniques and I have a schedule of stuff I draw for selling or for future ideas/themes (if I don't like what I'm drawing).

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 7:10 pm

no, I don't mean new techniques. I mean trying the same thing again. Like a piano player practices one piece over and over - not once, and then he goes: "fair enough, now I'll play some guitar."

HarmandVonGolddd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2018, 8:30 pm

shlaifu wrote:
no, I don't mean new techniques. I mean trying the same thing again. Like a piano player practices one piece over and over - not once, and then he goes: "fair enough, now I'll play some guitar."

Yeah, I do that too. I have templates of my drawings and I draw them over and over again.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 6:34 pm

HarmandVonGolddd wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Yeah, I do that too. I have templates of my drawings and I draw them over and over again.

you're like a piano player playing his own composition then, trying to learn to play piano, wihtout having learned to compose.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 6:39 pm

There is very little that passes as art today that I would be at all tempted to buy.

One thing to consider is that if I could draw/paint/sculpt whatever it is at least as good as what someone is selling, then why would I buy what they are selling when I wouldn't even hang my own "art" on the wall. I don't buy mediocrity.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

Your music is not to my taste, sorry. I'm not saying it's bad actually, - I just don't like this style of non-melodic repetitive dance music. So maybe people that know the genre better can be of better judges of that than I am.

As for your art, I think it's really nice but if you want to make $$ out of it maybe you should consider harnessing your artistic skills into graphic design, cause that's what brings cash these days. Either that or try finding jobs as an illustrator for posters, books, journals or media. I think you have the skill for it going thru your Instagram. You should definitely open a Linkedin account and gather up a serious portfolio with some of your best works to get you started.