Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CYCLE_MONKEY
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2018, 6:27 pm

Chronos wrote:
For simplicity. I have a hard time multitasking and I live in the us, so for now it makes sense.

So why not the entire continent or your state or county or town or neighborhood?

I raise the issue because I don't see a reason to single out the United States in crimes against humanity because there aren't crimes the U.S. has committed that really haven't been committed elsewhere.

Right now Myanmar is waging an ethnic cleansing campaign against the Rohingya. They have been stripped of citizenship, have been raped, tortured, murdered, have had their villages burnt down and are being hunted down as they are pushed out of their country with no place to go. Some of these people are 4th generation Burmese. The Rohingya didn't do anything to seed such hostile sentiments against them. They are being scapegoated used as basis for fascism and this isn't something that happened in the past. This is happening now, in 2018 this very instant.[/quote]

Agree 100%. It's ignorant to think America is "Evil" for things that happened 400-150 years ago when we, as a species (man), typically did horrible things to each other all across the world. The difference is, now WE, and all the other CIVILIZED nations have realized these things are bad, and stopped them long ago.....while all these OTHER countries are engaging in these brutal human rights violations TODAY. But, I should expect that from children of an age where they are busy thinking that eating Tide Pods and drinking Vape fluid is makes them special and enlightened.....

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 7:04 pm

CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Chronos wrote:
For simplicity. I have a hard time multitasking and I live in the us, so for now it makes sense.

So why not the entire continent or your state or county or town or neighborhood?

I raise the issue because I don't see a reason to single out the United States in crimes against humanity because there aren't crimes the U.S. has committed that really haven't been committed elsewhere.

Right now Myanmar is waging an ethnic cleansing campaign against the Rohingya. They have been stripped of citizenship, have been raped, tortured, murdered, have had their villages burnt down and are being hunted down as they are pushed out of their country with no place to go. Some of these people are 4th generation Burmese. The Rohingya didn't do anything to seed such hostile sentiments against them. They are being scapegoated used as basis for fascism and this isn't something that happened in the past. This is happening now, in 2018 this very instant.

Agree 100%. It's ignorant to think America is "Evil" for things that happened 400-150 years ago when we, as a species (man), typically did horrible things to each other all across the world. The difference is, now WE, and all the other CIVILIZED nations have realized these things are bad, and stopped them long ago.....while all these OTHER countries are engaging in these brutal human rights violations TODAY. But, I should expect that from children of an age where they are busy thinking that eating Tide Pods and drinking Vape fluid is makes them special and enlightened.....[/quote]

If we do not reflect on the evils we have done, we do it again. We aren't as civilized as you think. And almost no teenagers actually eat tide pods, it just makes for a catchy headline. The worst I have seen is eating Carolina reapers for views.

We have human rights violations in america right now, but I am choosing to stay out of that to avoid getting off topic- guess that didn't work.

The whole Continent doesn't apply to me and is to diverse, and my town or state is to narrow. it makes the most sense to target America.

Abusive therapies still go on today, and eugenics only ended in the 1970's and still exists in other forms today. Do a little research on buck v bell before you question the 70,000.

Now, kindly stop. I want to focus on relevant posts and you are distracting.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 7:42 pm

CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Without the liberal arts, there would be no culture in America, no arts, no humanities. All we'd have would be a stale, sterile society where people work, go home to eat, make little people, sleep, then repeat, with little else. You might be content with that sort of life, but I'm certainly not.

I don't believe that for a second. You don't need a liberal arts degree to be creative and artistic, I'm proof of that....and there's plenty other out there just like me. I've never had (or needed) any formal art training, I just understand what's pleasing to the eye. There are plenty of conservative artists, actors, etc., that manage to be creative without being a liberal "artist".

Culture is debatable, like art. I think we in America have our own culture, and that it's plenty unique.

As far as humanities, by far the most money and effort in solving 3rd world problems (clean water, sanitation, healthy food, medicine) comes from Christian Conservative charities etc. I Doubt many, if any, of them are liberal artists.

I'm quite content with the clean water, sanitation, good roads, fresh produce/food, technologies, medicine, and art that those with STEM science majors gave us....oh, and the art too.....

STEM students can tell you how to clone a dinosaur.

Liberal arts students can explain why that's a bad idea.

Most of human experience can't be confined to STEM. Culture, art, and language exist. Just because it can't be evaluated under a microscope doesn't make it irrelevant. If you get accused of a crime, you'd better hope somebody with high verbal intelligence is there to defend you.

I'll be happy when humans are content to dump social hierarchies, and focus on advancing the future.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 8:10 pm

CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Without the liberal arts, there would be no culture in America, no arts, no humanities. All we'd have would be a stale, sterile society where people work, go home to eat, make little people, sleep, then repeat, with little else. You might be content with that sort of life, but I'm certainly not.

I don't believe that for a second. You don't need a liberal arts degree to be creative and artistic, I'm proof of that....and there's plenty other out there just like me. I've never had (or needed) any formal art training, I just understand what's pleasing to the eye. There are plenty of conservative artists, actors, etc., that manage to be creative without being a liberal "artist".

Culture is debatable, like art. I think we in America have our own culture, and that it's plenty unique.

As far as humanities, by far the most money and effort in solving 3rd world problems (clean water, sanitation, healthy food, medicine) comes from Christian Conservative charities etc. I Doubt many, if any, of them are liberal artists.

I'm quite content with the clean water, sanitation, good roads, fresh produce/food, technologies, medicine, and art that those with STEM science majors gave us....oh, and the art too.....

Well, I'm pleased you haven't allowed yourself to become an uncultured, barely literate dotard like the current inhabitant of the White House. That said, I am a recipient of a liberal arts education, and am a published author. Could I have written without my degree in History? Probably. But would I have had the horizons opened to me by my education which I've in one way or another incorporated into my art? Probably not.
Many disciplines such as Anthropology and Archaeology in fact stand with one foot in the liberal arts, and another in the sciences.
Why wouldn't there be anyone with liberal arts degrees among Christian groups?
I happen to admire the sciences. It's business, devoid of any liberal arts education, that I find creates a culturally sterile individual.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:29 pm

Arganger wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Arganger wrote:
I've always kind of blamed America for my father's death,

Your dad died in a war?

Yes. A terrorist threw a bomb at his vehicle killing him and a few other men.

That's horrifying.

When I first read this, I couldn't respond. I imagined how rough it must of been for you, at such a young age.

America is into all kinds of senseless warring.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:37 pm

How many unarmed African-Americans have to die before protesting the flag/anthem isn't somehow "off-limits"?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 11:05 pm

Redxk wrote:
How many unarmed African-Americans have to die before protesting the flag/anthem isn't somehow "off-limits"?

When we no longer have a racist jackass for President who scores political points by denigrating African American protest as somehow Anti-American.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 1:28 am

Apple

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 7:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:

When we no longer have a racist jackass for President who scores political points by denigrating African American protest as somehow Anti-American.

I don't care why someone is doing so, sitting isn't what I would call wrong. I don't do it for black rights, because I started doing it long before it was a "Thing", starting at five.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 7:51 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Arganger wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Arganger wrote:
I've always kind of blamed America for my father's death,

Your dad died in a war?

Yes. A terrorist threw a bomb at his vehicle killing him and a few other men.

That's horrifying.

When I first read this, I couldn't respond. I imagined how rough it must of been for you, at such a young age.

America is into all kinds of senseless warring.

I'm actually okay. I'm a christian, so when I heard of his death I was happy for him, and didn't really understand why everyone else was so sad. When I did get sad, I was more so sad for my family that was sad. I've always gotten in some trouble for that attitude whenever anyone died.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 9:30 am

Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:

I don't care why someone is doing so, sitting isn't what I would call wrong. I don't do it for black rights, because I started doing it long before it was a "Thing", starting at five.

You started sitting at five?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 10:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, I'm pleased you haven't allowed yourself to become an uncultured, barely literate dotard like the current inhabitant of the White House. That said, I am a recipient of a liberal arts education, and am a published author. Could I have written without my degree in History? Probably. But would I have had the horizons opened to me by my education which I've in one way or another incorporated into my art? Probably not.
Many disciplines such as Anthropology and Archaeology in fact stand with one foot in the liberal arts, and another in the sciences.
I happen to admire the sciences. It's business, devoid of any liberal arts education, that I find creates a culturally sterile individual.

Without business, there’s no money to pay artists.

And you don’t even need the university to get a liberal arts education. Arts and humanities are tied to the success of any business. To be pleasing to consumers, you have to take graphic and industrial design into consideration. You might have the one invention that’s going to radically change the world for the better, but if it doesn’t look like anything anyone would ever want to use, how do you intend to get it into the hands of those who need it most?

Maybe you have a drug that wipes out HIV AND cancer. Doesn’t matter how great it is if you can’t get your message out. The humanities already factor into everything we do. All you have to do is talk to people and ask them what they want. Then you find someone who can deliver on it. I can almost guarantee there are folk artists out there who can do just as well as university graduates.

Even now there’s a YouTube video for practically everything. And if you need more specialized help, you can take individual college courses to develop skills. I took a college course in sound design and synth programming and two courses in film composing, and that was YEARS after I finished my master’s
degree. I got more practical knowledge from 3 courses than 2 years of full-time coursework plus a thesis. I’ve worked out a music composition algorithm using PureData and am very slowly learning how to code it in Swift, all by watching YouTube. When I look back on what I did for two music degrees and what I’d hoped I’d accomplish, it really does seem like I’d have been better off skipping the college route altogether along with massive debt and just going for it alone.

But you can’t earn those degrees without first having a comprehensive education, including having to study things that do nothing to improve or enhance what you’re there to do. What one professor thinks is great literature or another professor’s opinion of history that is taught as law is totally irrelevant to learning any of these things, yet college profs frequently use their positions as platforms for indoctrination. I say take what you need and bypass all the bs. I believe one day a lot of your academic programs will pass into irrelevance and the only role universities will have will be in training certain types of professionals, such as teachers, physicians, lawyers, and the like. There are already independent universities springing up to rescue kids from having to swallow the leftist garbage version of the humanities, so I think that day is fast approaching.

Published writers? I mean, why even bother? You know how to tell a good story, you know what everyone out there is reading, you have a good handle on grammatical structure which, if you’re writing formula fiction and you’re writing colloquial dialogue you don’t even need most of the time. So get busy and tell your story.

Musician? Start a band.

Songwriter? Producer? Invest in a rhyming thesaurus. DAWs are straightforward enough to be almost self-explanatory. You don’t need a degree for that.

Classical musician? Forget it. In fact, I used to think that having studied and practiced clarinet and having a master’s degree would open some doors and help me get an orchestra gig. Nope. Principal clarinet in the local symphony doesn’t even HAVE a music degree, the 2nd chair guy is a university prof who doesn’t even live here, and, like, MAYBE 3 people who are in the orchestra actually do live here. Everyone else is scattered across 4 different states.

The ONLY advantages my degree has ever given me is slightly higher pay than other high school teachers and the ability to offer music classes for college credit.

Oh, and I’ve personally known gifted instrumentalists who couldn’t give up pot long enough to make it to class enough to even get an associate’s degree who dropped out and still get symphony gigs.

So...PLEASE explain to me exactly how it is an almighty college degree in the humanities is supposed to help us? Because the only thing I’ve ever seen humanities grads ever do consistently is breed more profs who keep shrieking the same old propaganda their profs drilled into them.

Oh, and it’s not just me. My wife has a bachelor’s degree in psychology. ANYBODY want to take a guess what SHE does for a living? Hint: NOT psychology! The crazy thing is she loves her current job as a teaching assistant and her coworkers and superiors recognize her gift for working with kids. They are pressuring her to go BACK to school to become a full-time elementary classroom teacher. Do NOT tell me that humanities degrees determine any kind of success. I’ve seen credentialed, experienced teachers get fired for mediocrity, while the only reason why my wife, who has the gift and only just now has anyone figured it out, can’t get the job is because state law requires creds she doesn’t have on paper. A piece of freakin’ paper you could wipe your @$$ with is all that stands in her way.

So...um...NO, I don’t really believe the almighty University is the be-all, end-all, gatekeeper of the humanities. Let individuals decide which arts are worth saving rather than some self-righteous elite academic “Bright” inflict them on us.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 10:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:

Yes. Remember, as I have said, I also have ODD.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 11:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is there a country which should be held up as a model for the United States to emulate?

Sweden?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 11:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Don’t forget Geography!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 11:42 am

Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:

Yes. Remember, as I have said, I also have ODD.

I like this person.

I have a 7th grade student with ODD. I think I’m the only teacher at our school who gets along with him.