Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 May 2018, 8:41 am

Closet Genious wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
magz wrote:
Every time I hear statistics like that I can't help looking for biases. Like - children with more father involvement have better social skills - maybe because the more involved fathers are the ones with better social skills to inherit both genetically and environmentally? Involved fathers are pretty self-selected group, we don't really know if other aspects of their personalities contribute to both decision to care for the children and the measured benefits.

Yeah that's what the evidence suggests. As far as I'm aware, these effects aren't seen in adopted children or step-children. We also know that children raised by two women tend to turn out just as well as those raised by mixed couples. So it doesn't seem like fathers are "absolutely necessary" beyond their biological function.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel that children who are artificially deprived of a parent (through death or imprisonment rather than separation) are likely to be worse off. But I don't know if that holds up once you examine it and control for other factors.

Magz made a good point. But what's your evidence for the children being raised by 2 moms?

I can't seem to find any statistics on this.

Turns out I was giving you outdated information and we're now pretty confident that being raised by two men is just as good as being raised by two women or a mixed-gender couple.

Good summary here, including links to all the cited articles, including at least one with a very large sample size. It would seem to me that Cornell is as close to an objective source as you can find.