Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

giveen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2018, 8:53 am

I have a boy that was always behind on milestones on development, which isnt a big deal as each kid grows at different rates. Finally when trying to teach him to read at 6 years, the wife and I thought he had delyxisa. he had already gone to speech therapy because he had language difficulties, but this was a new challenge. He was formally diagnosed with autism/ADHD/learning disabilities.

As we were going through the paperwork before the initial screening and then another set of paperwork for the test, we kept having two names pop in mind, another one of my boys (who is now scheduled to be tested) and me. I did a Ritvo (score of 200), a AQ (score of 45) and a EQ (score of 10). I am scheduled to start my screening this week. I read through Dr. Attwood's book this weekend and a lot of my life and everything I experienced and felt or didnt feel started making sense. When i was a kid, I was in a special ed "program to address the needs of high academic achieving children with significant emotional and behavioral problems." in Washington State. I contacted the school district from when i was there but was told they destroy records after 7 years, so I have no idea what my psychiatrist had said about me.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 May 2018, 11:13 am

Welcome to WP!

alex
Developer
Developer

08 May 2018, 11:13 am

Welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 3:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

giveen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2018, 3:17 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I just completed the initial screening this morning. The phsyciatrist said absolutely she can see I am on the spectrum, probably level one, maybe borderline two, but I am coping well and I have a great family support system. She'll complete the paperwork and I hsould have the formal stuff done in a few weeks. She suggested I let me boss know as one of my primary concerns was my being misunderstood and losing my job because I sometimes speak before thinking and can come across rude sometimes. Its caused me to lose jobs in the past and its causing me a lot of anxiety in the job that I have now and how much I love this job and I'm afraid always of losing it.

The hardest part of the screening was her kept trying to force eye contact with me. I do pretty well with family as I will focus on a point on the face, but she was literally bending over to try to get me to look at her and I kept shying away. Its never been that bad for me but I think my nervousness made all my guards go down.