Aspie/ASD* 7 year old, no iep or 504, bullied relentlessly

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZonaMa
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2018, 7:35 am

Arganger wrote:
ZonaMa wrote:
So the meeting today was just as I suspected, no iep or 504 just a "behavioral" intervention meeting I guess its the same as "rti"
All they mentioned was his blurting out answers and not raising his hand.
His teacher claims she doesn't notice a grunting tic, how is this possible when she herself told him to shush he was distracting the whole class a few weeks ago. Even today he came home and told me one of his classmates told him to hold his lips together and it will stop.
Also during the meeting I asked would he still be getting occupational therapy during the summer, they told me he wasn't receiving OT therapy that she just evaluated/monitored him - I said that's funny because the therapist has been taking him out of class twice per week and my insurance is being billed.
So I get the game they are playing, ignore the symptoms and avoid having to evaluate.

He also told me today that after leaving from outdoors his stomach was hurting badly and the kids told him to stop whining, his teacher just told him to lay his head down on the desk.
Is this what usually occurs, the teacher just tells the kid to lay their head down instead of sending them to the office? I'm trying not to think that his teacher is treating him with bias, but this is the same woman who says she doesn't "notice" his tic and failed to mention he had started occupational therapy.

I stick to what I said- record, than sue.

Even "if" I recorded the meeting its not lawful since I didn't get their consent, if I told them I had a recorder they wouldn't have said some of the bull crap they did. I am sending a letter to the school district today, and requesting a mediator outside of the staff at the school and an investigation into why my son hasn't been receiving FAPE.
I can't afford a lawyer and the free advocacy place hasn't called me back. I will also be requesting they consider the four evaluations or that they evaluate if they disagree to set a timeline in place. I also plan on going to the school today in person when they lady takes him out of class for occupational therapy and will be recording him grunting / other behaviors while in school since they claim it only happens at home.

Thanks again you guys for the suggestions.

CWard12213
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2018, 9:27 am

I know it's easier said than done for many reasons, but that school sounds like a hell hole. I would do anything possible to avoid sending my kids to a school where they were treated that way whether that meant open enrolling, private school, or even moving. School and peer relationships are tremendously important developmentally.

ZonaMa
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2018, 4:26 pm

CWard12213 wrote:
I know it's easier said than done for many reasons, but that school sounds like a hell hole. I would do anything possible to avoid sending my kids to a school where they were treated that way whether that meant open enrolling, private school, or even moving. School and peer relationships are tremendously important developmentally.

Your absolutely right. His old school, only had 150 students, smaller classrooms and tons of counselors so he was "almost" thriving. I have been on this current school since the day he started, there is no way I'd have let this go on a year, I would have definitely pulled him were it not for summer break.

So today (last day of school) they let me sign a consent to evaluate with no resistance after a conversation with the local IDEA "lead" I told them I had a 7 page complaint and was going to court. Problem is the evaluation process wont start until school begins which means he would have to to go to a regular classroom until the evaluation process is done. I cannot let that happen, so I will still end up in court. A little research and I found out that kids with speech disorders, and severe sensory disorders are EXEMPT from the RTI as they need immediate help.

The assistant principal has been making it seem like I'm overprotective and he is a "mamas boy"(not in those exacct words), she said he needs to build a "tolerance" for the name calling and noise on the playground. The school counselor, at the same meeting, told my son he needs to work on saying "sorry" when he bumps into people (after I already told her its been like this for years). How can a child with any "disability" thrive in a school that thinks this way?????? So its not just for my son, but for the other kids who are not getting the help they need.

Oh and part of the behavior "intervention" plan was for the school psychologist to give him a talk "every" morning to help with his social skills. She was supposed to start Monday but my son said she hadn't. So I called her this morning and asked her if she had seen him and she said no because the class was away the 2 times she went to see him, if they really cared about him they would have checked on him. A hour later is when she called me to tell me to come in and sign the evaluation paperwork.

CWard12213
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2018, 11:51 am

That's just frustrating BS. I wonder what the assistant principal's tolerance for being called such names is. I would be severely tempted to test it if I were in your shoes....

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 1:01 pm

I think it might not be bad to at least look at moving somewhere else. If there is not a different school he can go to where you live that might be better fit for his needs...than my honest opinion is you should look into moving, maybe before doing so look into some different schools to get an idea of places to possibly move.

I mean I am not there I don't see the entire situation, but from the sound of it this school will only do him more harm than good...seems like none of the other kids even like him, and the teachers/staff and everyone think he's just a difficult problem they'd rather not have to deal with. I just don't see things improving with this school.

I know moving is a huge change, and might feel like running away...but sometimes a fresh start can really be helpful. I mean is there anything specific that ties you to living where you are like being near family or a great job ect?

I mean you can try and sue and keep trying to advocate for him and demand better accommodations at his current school, and maybe someday you will 'win' those legal type battles...but in the meantime your sons mental-health will only suffer. So may not be worth it, a fresh start could be much more effective.