If only zombies could talk.

Most zombies who talk just say "Braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnns"

This film was close to Zombies talking

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:44 pm

the whole premise of zombies is pretty unexciting... dead people eating brains? only good for halloween

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:57 pm

Gallia wrote:
the whole premise of zombies is pretty unexciting... dead people eating brains? only good for halloween

It makes a good fantasy creature, but it would never work in the real world. Just like warp drive, being frozen in carbonite, cape wearing flying Kryptonians....the list goes on.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 4:51 am

Most of the questions can be explained by the example of the worm that invades snail brain in order for it to go up and become a prey of a bird in which guts the worm breeds. https://www.wired.com/2014/09/absurd-cr ... isco-worm/

Let's assume there is something: virus, bacteria, insect... whatever - that invades humans, lives in human brain and breeds/spreeds using human bodily fluids. Because human is the natural feeder it has to be humans, even if they have guns. Therefore mosquitoes theoretically might spread the virus without being infected.
Infected human life is short so the parasyte needs to look for new people to spread it's genes into before it's feeder dies. "Braaains!"
And it isn't hunger per so - the infected human might feel hunger but it's just the virus infecting the brain and making the hunger receptors active. It has nothing to do with stomach or any other body part - just brain.

As for other problems - every movie/game approaches zombies differently. In some the time between the infection and becoming a zombie takes a few days - a good amount of time. And usually zombies are pretty slow. And do trip and fall a lot from what I recall.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2018, 7:31 am

Did you know that I had a thought about zombies lately?
I started thinking that zombies are a representation of depressed people, who are worn out of life and want "brains" because they want "brain energy", to be less depressed
Also, the "rotting stomach and hunger" issue you mentioned - could be lack of awareness to body's health

As for faster zombies - different pathogens, and as for entertainment's sake - faster is better, and has become mandatory in many films. You no longer see deep and slow-paced films, rather you see fast-paced films such as the Avengers with a more superficial view on relationships and faster-paced occurrences

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 12:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Twilight Saga sort of stumbles into accidental and unintentional social satire with its explanation of warewolves as being Native American, and vampires being European immigrants to America

No, the Twilight books don't say that there are no European werewolves. In fact they seem to say that there are indeed, but that the Indian werewolves are another brand of werewolves that apparently is uniquely theirs alone. When the Volturi come and assess the situation, they say that Jacob and the other werewolves aren't true Children of the Moon.That is why they leave them alone.

I really like Twilight's take on another breed of werewolves! #TeamJacob! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Hi all. I'm making this post because I've realized that zombie movies raise more questions than they answer.

That's because we still don't have all the answers, despite all the research being done on zombies.

Quote:
What exactly is the pathogen which causes the zombie outbreak? Is it a literal virus?

Depends on the type of zombie. Some are virus related, others because zombies due to radiation, some are electrically shocked to new life (usually by mad scientists named Frankenstein), and some are due to parasites. Occasionally the zombie is controlled by demons , and in one instance apparently the occurrence of a comet was enough to trigger an outbreak.

Quote:
- How come some people in those movies get bitten and then instantly become zombies? Shouldn't it take longer for a pathogen to spread throughout the body?

It doesn't seem to happen instantly. It does take some time, as seen in both Walking Dead and Maggie.

Quote:
- How come so many zombies in modern zombie movies are "fast zombies"? I get that they are scarier, but they shouldn't be able to move to fast if they are biologically deteriorating.

Fast zombies would only male sense for Haitian zombies.
The other zombies must know something we don't!

I think slow zombies are plenty scary. They are slow, but they need no rest.

Quote:
- If a zombie's flesh completely rots away, does it become a spooky skeleton? How would a spooky skeleton be able to move at all?

I don't see why not, as long as it still has a brain in the cranium. After all zombies only die when the brain is removed or destroyed.

Quote:
- If a zombie's stomach rots away, will it still hunger?

Good question. They might not eat out of hunger though. It could be the virus making them spread it (like rabies), or just an instinctive thing, not unlike how babies will suck automatically.

Quote:
- Can the zombie virus be transmitted by mosquito bites? Would this zombify the mosquitoes?

I don't see why it wouldn't transmit that way. There is no reason why the mosquito would be affected, same as they aren't affected by malaria.

Quote:
- Why do zombies only chase after humans? The humans in these movies are typically armed with guns. Why don't the zombies hunt animals in the woods?

The zombies in Walking Dead seemed to like horse meat just fine.
Most zombies are usually slow. People are easier to hunt, slower compared to a lot of animals.
It could also be like it is for vampires: It tastes better.

Quote:
- How come the zombies trip and fall so rarely?

They should be falling all the time. Since movies are edited, I assume they remove the worst falls so the zombies won't be humiliated on TV. The director doesn't want to be sued.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:50 pm

How about the movie Pet Cemetery? That's one of the movies that has zombie animals.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:04 am

Skilpadde wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The Twilight Saga sort of stumbles into accidental and unintentional social satire with its explanation of warewolves as being Native American, and vampires being European immigrants to America

No, the Twilight books don't say that there are no European werewolves. In fact they seem to say that there are indeed, but that the Indian werewolves are another brand of werewolves that apparently is uniquely theirs alone. When the Volturi come and assess the situation, they say that Jacob and the other werewolves aren't true Children of the Moon.That is why they leave them alone.

I really like Twilight's take on another breed of werewolves! #TeamJacob! :lol:

Well...I meant (as I said further up in the thread) that here in the US the warewolves are indigenous, but that the Vampires are all immigrants. Lol! Dern ferreners! Taking away our jobs! I was actually assuming that over there in Europe that both your vampires, and your warewolves, are all native! Lol! I am probably wrongly assuming that only vampires came over here from Europe, and that warewolves didn't make it over the Atlantic (I figured that maybe they couldn't get through the stress of the Ellis Island entry process without howling, and getting sent back to Translyvania by the Federal authorities).

But yeah, you're obviously more up on all of the nuances of the Saga than I. That IS an interesting way to do it. Have a unique American Indian type of warewolf that's a little different from the familiar central European warewolves appropriated by Hollywood.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 9:57 am

I think we really need to do something about the smombie epidemic that's happening right now. In case you don't know, smombies are are smart phone addicts walking around texting mindlessly until they get hit by a car. Which may have also been driven by a smombie.

Interesting that the phones are much smarter than their owners. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:06 am

^^^
Interesting observation on today's society.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:41 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I think we really need to do something about the smombie epidemic that's happening right now. In case you don't know, smombies are are smart phone addicts walking around texting mindlessly until they get hit by a car.

i nearly got run over by the bus the other day but i can't even blame my phone for it, i was just daydreaming (or deadreaming?) :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:50 pm

Gallia wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I think we really need to do something about the smombie epidemic that's happening right now. In case you don't know, smombies are are smart phone addicts walking around texting mindlessly until they get hit by a car.

i nearly got run over by the bus the other day but i can't even blame my phone for it, i was just daydreaming (or deadreaming?) :lol:

Hell... I daydream, and even talk to myself out loud in public (I used to anyway), and don't even have a smart phone.

I was ahead of my time!

I acted like an oblivious 2018 person way back in the 90's and in the 00's, before it was cool to act that way.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 7:36 am

Its like when the hero defeats 10 men in a kung fu movie , its just entertainment , doesnt have to be realistic

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 12:33 pm

If robots try to destroy the human race, why don't we just spray them with water? Everyone knows water and electricity are not a good combination, so just turn on the hoses and fire hydrants, *bzzzzzt*, and you're done! :lol: