Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:07 pm

Working with NT's in a supported unit classroom is very depressing at times as I hear the cruel words these people use about these kids. I know what they think of autism. From the prissy newly college graduated speech teacher to the teachers, I hear deprecating comments.

I'm an Instructional Assistant. My ASD was never disclosed. Do these people know I'm different? Hell yeah but they don't know why.

I love working with the kids. I think the other staff members are overbearing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:16 pm

I don't like hearing deprecating comments, either.

Especially from a person who just got out of college. This person should know better.

I would attribute this attitude, on the part of the "oldsters," to burnout.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:35 pm

This prissy college girl doesn't know jack....the others are first year ex Ed teachers transferred from voc training. No teaching training.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:41 pm

Taking a class on autism in college isn't anymore real than reading about sex. Not the same thing.

She is squeamish and gets pissy if a kid touches her. Our boys are going through puberty and you know about that Krafty. She freaks out about things that pertain to males and shames them for normal body functions.

I'm relaxed and don't freak out. She doesn't need to be there in my opinion.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:44 pm

I've heard tell of the same thing from a couple of people I know who do "special educational needs" work in mainstream schools - they love their work with the children but can't bear the staff-room talk or even some of the classroom behaviour from the teachers. Must be even harder when it implies how they might feel about your condition too. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, and I hope that hearing that doesn't make you feel more down - but you are certainly not alone in finding that atmosphere depressing.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:49 pm

Troggulidite, thanks....very happy to have your support. Means a lot.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:00 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Taking a class on autism in college isn't anymore real than reading about sex. Not the same thing.

She is squeamish and gets pissy if a kid touches her. Our boys are going through puberty and you know about that Krafty. She freaks out about things that pertain to males and shames them for normal body functions.

I'm relaxed and don't freak out. She doesn't need to be there in my opinion.

I agree. She needs to find a different job outside of education if she can't handle students.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 10:14 pm

She loves to order people around. Seldom is she helpful. But she is the Darling of this school and everyone just is in awe. Condescending comes to mind.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:49 pm

You just got to love how the darling of a workplace, church, or other social setting can just do whatever they want and everyone is blind to their behavior and the problems it causes.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2018, 8:59 pm

I was in a similar situation two years ago and did not last six months. They got rid of me. I wish I had something positive to say but looking back, I am glad I went. You can't work with some people.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 10:56 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Working with NT's in a supported unit classroom is very depressing at times as I hear the cruel words these people use about these kids. I know what they think of autism. From the prissy newly college graduated speech teacher to the teachers, I hear deprecating comments.

I'm an Instructional Assistant. My ASD was never disclosed. Do these people know I'm different? Hell yeah but they don't know why.

I love working with the kids. I think the other staff members are overbearing.

I'm glad that you're there for those kids, so they at least have you for a positive role model.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 11:23 pm

I really care about those kids. I care about the SLP too and the other staff....somehow we'll rest this summer and give it all a go again in August. She may be less afraid and more relaxed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 1:48 am

This would piss me off, too.

I think my approach would be much like it is in other areas of my life when someone has something nasty to say about someone's particular disability and I'd let them know my disapproval without disclosing anything about myself. I'd say something like "You really should learn to be kinder to these kids if you're going to work with them." or ask "Why are you working with Autistic kids if you have no compassion for their condition?" to make them think.

I drop comments like these when I hear people spewing homophobic things, too, and almost never tell them that I am gay - so I can relate more in that sense than in this exact scenario. But sometimes I feel like saying something like "Oh, really? Do you have any concept that you just called that young man a "fag," in front of a gay man who's about to beat the crap out of you for it?" But I don't say things like that nor threaten violence. But I Will speak up and say Something. I very rarely will disclose my own sexuality because it would serve no purpose but to provoke a homophobe into either worse speech or violence. The times I'd most consider disclosing it would be when some young gay/queer kid gets picked on and is still physically present - then there's value to stepping up and saying "Uh, excuse me? I may not look like this guy, but I'm just as gay as he is and what you're saying about us isn't acceptable.. so either STFU or step up and I'll shut you up." Then at least the victim kid would know he's not alone & has someone on his team in his corner.

I've heard people make the odd comment about Autistics and I mainly just listen to observe what their impressions of us are in terms of the stereotypes they know us by. But I've never been in a live situation where someone is picking on someone else for being Autistic and had to make such a judgement call as to how I would react. One thing I know for sure is that I'm not the type to stand idly by and say/do nothing, and if/when it ever happens in my presence, I'll do whatever the right thing that moment calls for. 8)

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 5:04 pm

I do gently say things. The slp is just one of those elitists people. Just how she is. Comes from a moneyed family in our locale.

GF21, some people are just cruel.

I could pick on someone over their sexual orientation. Sad that people can be so ugly.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 5:37 pm

Yep, some people are just cruel.. and when they are so directly in front of me, I'm glad to be there with my 6'2" tall 202.5lbs @ 12.5% bf presence & booming voice to educate them on the error of their ways.

As a completely non-violent somewhat timid Autistic man, I still find it strange sometimes that my physical appearance enables me to be authoritative over others who are misbehaving in public, but, I acknowledge that it is what it is and humans are still animals and it's survival of the fittest and all that, so, I utilize it as needed.

Hell, reminds me of this sorta nutter known as "Rifle Ray," who apparently once brought a rifle to the beach.. one day last Summer a few of the long time regulars were shaking in their boots (figuratively speaking, they're all naked at a nude beach lol) as they thought Ray had come unhinged and was going to get violent. I'd met & spoken with Ray before and have no problem with him.. so, I walked right towards him to have some peaceful words and he cowered, turned, and began walking towards & then up the ~480 stairs back topside. Sometimes it doesn't even take speaking to communicate that you're not going to tolerate someone losing their s**t on others - it just takes someone with the balls to step up and let it be known that awful words or threats of violence are not going to be tolerated for some idiot to cool their jets and walk away.

I just wish more of these things would happen in my presence so that I have the opportunity to say or do something about them. But, I can't be everywhere at once lol. Ah well, whenever they come up, I'll continue to speak up. 8)