I feel like my small group leader dislikes me

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Chrissy1212
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2018, 5:11 pm

I feel like my small group leader dislikes me

when I saw her at church last sunday and said hi she just waved and said good morning in reply to me saying hi instead of saying hi back. What does that mean when someone says good morning in reply to me saying hi? Also after service I walked towards her but she just left. Also at the end of small group when the taxi comes early and people are socializing she says your taxis here and gets up to open the door and asks to walk me out and keeps saying it after I say it's early. I feel like she just wants me to leave and doesnt want me there. Also the whole time after a bunch of people left and it was just me and this other girl there she basically ignored me the whole time and just talked to this other girl and when her ex showed up whispered my ex is here and it looked like she was talking to just her but leaving me out. And when I asked a question she did not respond but just looked at her phone and said ohh. Do you think she dislikes me and doesn't think of me as a friend?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:33 pm

You have to go with your gut feeling because if she makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe it's time to look at finding a different small group where you are going to be accepted. There are good small groups and bad ones.

I was in a small group a number of years ago and they knew I was different and socially awkward and they didn't want me there either and it ended with some of the members of this small group pulling a set up to bully me by way of harsh punishment. After I left they could care less whether I was there or not.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:38 pm

I would find a different group. This woman doesn't want you around. When people treat like that, I stop wasting my time with them.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 8:48 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
I would find a different group. This woman doesn't want you around. When people treat like that, I stop wasting my time with them.

As I said, maybe try a different small group at your church where you seem to find someone there who you do get along with and does like you because those are the best kind.

As for this leader, she's not hurting you but herself by being a poor hostess for people who she doesn't like. Not very Christian of her.

Chrissy1212
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2018, 1:01 pm

Do you think she dislikes me?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:26 pm

I think you have misinterpreted her social behaviors.

First, replying "good morning" when someone says "hi" is perfectly acceptable.

The thing with the early taxi did not seem concerning to me, I wouldn't have interpreted it either way.

Walking away when you are walking toward her is not rude unless you somehow signaled you wanted to talk to her, either by waving or calling her name.

I wasn't clear what happened when she said something about her ex. She might have been preoccupied and not "present" with you, but I can't say.

In general, it seems she is trying to be nice enough to you. I would give it more time before deciding anything. You can also ask her if she dislikes you, but if she says "No, why?" explain you can't always read other people's nonverbal behavior correctly. Say "I just wanted to check it out with you, but I'm glad we're ok."