Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 11:09 am

At Least 8 People Killed in Santa Fe, Texas, School Shooting; Suspect Is in Custody

Quote:
At least eight people were killed, and others were injured, in a shooting on Friday morning at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Tex., according to law enforcement officials. A suspect was in custody.

The injured included at least one police officer, whose condition is unknown, Ed Gonzalez, the Harris County sheriff, said. In addition to the suspect in custody, a person of interest has been detained, he said. Both are believed to be students, as were the majority of the dead.

The gunman opened fire inside the school at about 7:45 a.m., around the time school was about to start for the day, according to Joe Giusti, a Galveston County commissioner. He said the injured officer worked for the Santa Fe school district as a school resource officer. The gunman was uninjured, he said

The Santa Fe Independent School District said that law enforcement agencies were securing the building and that students were being transported to the nearby Alamo Gym, at 13306 Highway 6, where parents could meet them.

Several hours after the shooting in Santa Fe, a rural town between Houston and Galveston, police cars blocked the road off the state highway where the town’s only high school is located.

Leila Butler, a sophomore at the school, told ABC13, a local affiliate, that fire alarms at the school went off at about 7:45 a.m.

Another student told the station that a gunman entered her art class with what looked like a shotgun and began shooting at students. She said she saw a student get hit in the leg before she and others started running.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 12:54 pm

Santa Fe is in Galveston County, not Harris County.

My condolences to those affected.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 1:46 pm

Multiple fatalities reported after Texas high school shooting - live updates

Quote:
As many as 10 people were killed in a shooting Friday morning at a high school south of Houston, law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News. School district Police Chief Walter Braun said that explosive devices were found in Santa Fe High School and the surrounding area.

The suspect in custody was identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, of Santa Fe, according to law enforcement sources. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said a male suspect was in custody and a person of interest was detained and questioned. He didn't identify the two but said both were believed to be students at the school.

Police found pressure cookers and pipe bombs around the school, a law enforcement source told CBS News.

There was an active search for explosives, a federal law enforcement source told CBS News justice and homeland security correspondent Jeff Pegues. Authorities were in the process of rendering them safe and asked the public to call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

Student Damon Rabon told CBSN that he looked out his classroom door with a substitute teacher after hearing several loud bangs and saw the gunman.

"Black trench coat, short kind of guy, had a sawed-off shotgun," Damon said.

Santa Fe shooting suspect is student Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, who had ‘Born to Kill’ t-shirt
Quote:
Pagourtzis, 17, shared chilling photos on his – now removed – Facebook of a ‘Born to Kill’ t-shirt shortly before Friday morning’s massacre. Plane 'containing 104 passengers' crashes in Havana, Cuba An Instagram account that appears to belong the 11th-grader shows him following multiple gun-related accounts, including ‘sickguns,’ ‘gunspictures’, as well as others called Guns Fanatics, Guns Lovers and Guns Glory. Only three photos were uploaded to it – a toy rifle attached to an arcade video game, a photo of a frog, and a picture of a gun, knife as well as torch lying on a bed. His Facebook bio declared: ‘YouTube is a Comma Kazi. It’s the one with the kamikaze pilot.

He wrote: ‘Duster Hammer and Sickle = Rebellion Rising Sun = Kamikaze Tactics Iron Cross = Bravery Baphomet = Evil Cthulhu = Power.’

The black and white Iron Cross is the highest German military decoration for bravery. It was introduced in 1813, but was redesigned in 1957 after the German government banned the production of Nazi-associated emblems. Some students claimed that Pagourtzis was bullied by students and another teacher., A note on the Santa Fe Indians football team’s website hailed his ‘huge role’ in a game last October. Pargourtiz also said on the Facebook page that he was planning on joining the military in 2019, but a spokesman said there was no record of him on their files.

Explosives, Black trench coat, the guy was reenacting Columbine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:07 pm

STOP KILLING PEOPLE!! !! !! !! !! !! !

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:18 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
STOP KILLING PEOPLE!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

You need to say it louder!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:19 pm

should we ban americans from schools?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:32 pm

Here's What We Know About Dimitrios Pagourtzis, The Suspected Santa Fe High School Shooter

Quote:
Pagourtzis is being held on a capital murder charge with no bond, the Galveston County Sheriff's Office said. He might face additional charges, authorities said. The suspect has been booked into the Galveston County Jail.

The suspect had information contained in journals on his computer and cell phones that indicated that he "wanted to commit the shooting" and also wanted to kill himself after, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Friday.

The shooter gave himself up because he didn't have the "courage" to kill himself after the shooting, Abbott said.

He used a .38 revolver and a shotgun, Abbott said. But he did not own or legally possess either of these weapons — the suspect's father did. Authorities did not know if the father was aware that his son had taken the weapons from him.

Authorities detected various explosive devices, including a CO2 device and a Molotov cocktail, that belonged to the shooter. The explosives were found at a home and a vehicle, Abbott said. Authorities are cautious in searching two residences believed to be associated with the suspect because of the potential of finding explosive devices inside.

Here the red flags warnings were either nonexistent or imperceptible. There is on his Facebook page a t-shirt that says 'Born to kill.' But as far as investigations by law enforcement agencies, as far as arrests or confrontation with law enforcement, as far as having a criminal history, he has none. His slate is pretty clean."

A man who answered a phone at a number associated with the family's residence declined to comment to BuzzFeed News.

Facebook confirmed that they had removed the suspected shooter's profile.

"In line with our policy against mass murderers, we removed the shooter’s profile," the spokesperson told BuzzFeed News.

In another Facebook photo, the suspect appeared to be wearing a bisexual pride pin on his hat.

Payton Bailey, a 16-year-old sophomore at Santa Fe High, told BuzzFeed News that her cousin was in the room when Pagourtzis allegedly began shooting.

Pagourtzis was quiet and kept to himself, Bailey said. He often wore a trench coat, she said, and someone had once told her he “believed in evil.”

Garza, who was in a football class with Pagourtzis, told BuzzFeed News, that Pagourtzis was “always quiet.”

Pagourtzis was a defensive tackle for the Santa Fe JV Indian football team, according to a 2016 report.

“We would have never thought it was him,” he said. “I’ve never talked to him. He never talked to anyone.”

Garza said Pagourtzis hadn’t been at school for several days prior to the shooting.

Another student, identified only as Dustin, told ABC 13 that the shooter was wearing a trench coat and big boots.

“I used to talk to the shooter himself and he used to not seem like he would do that,” Dustin said. He added that Pagourtzis would "snap" and that “the coaches would bully him and call him names – he just didn’t have a lot of friends.”

“I believe one of the victims that he shot bullied him," Dustin said.

The Instagram account followed several gun-enthusiast pages as well as President Trump and his family.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/us/dimitrios-pagourtzis-gunman-texas-shooting.html
Quote:
• Mr. Pagourtzis made the honor roll in the past, and he was listed on the freshman roster of the Santa Fe High School Indians football team for the 2015-16 season.

Valerie Martin teaches at the junior high school in Santa Fe, and had Mr. Pagourtzis in her pre-A.P. language arts class last year.

She saw no signs that Mr. Pagourtzis might do such a thing. She viewed him as bright, she said, adding he had taken part in the school’s competition for a national history contest. “He was quiet, but he wasn’t quiet in a creepy way.”

She has her students write in journals, and she said, “He wasn’t drawing weird things in his journal. He wasn’t writing weird things in his journal.”

She has seen such things before, she said. “Those are journals I take to the counselor, and they start watching.”

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:11 pm

Unfortunately there was no way to prevent this.. except for all the ways every other country in the world manages to do so.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prev ... 1826142891

The Onion wrote:
NEWS IN BRIEF
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Today 11:48amSEE MORE: GUNS

SANTA FE, TX—In the hours following a violent rampage in Texas in which a lone attacker killed eight individuals and seriously injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Friday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Ohio resident Erica Webb, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 3:49 am

The small number of responses to this thread is an indication that this is becoming normalized. Media coverage is heavy but not to the degree it would have had the same incident happened even a few years ago.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:01 am

^ i guess you're right

we've gone down this path a bunch of times in the past year or two, what is there left to say, really?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:21 am

And on facebook you get...' well it was a gun free zone' so...if everyone had guns I suppose when the authorities showed up they would have known exactly who the perpetrator was and who were the good guys? I mean is that seriously what people believe? When I was in highschool a girl I knew was shot by an armed intruder into the school...at one point the police and SWAT could have shot an un-involved kid...he happened to be heading back to class after using a bathroom. Imagine if it was a gun free for all zone, and that kid was armed to 'protect himself' he would have been shot because initially they thought he might have been the armed intruder...luckily they saw he was not armed and didn't shoot.

And here is the shocker, at that time I did very much entertain the thought that if people in the school were armed it could have been stopped...but I realized it was stupid. Like if people in the school had guns it wouldn't have been any different...except maybe someone would have stormed the room the shooter was in before the police did. But then the perpetrator might have shot more kids than just that one girl. I guess it is a little personal to me, because though my experience was not a mass shooter...it still involved an armed person getting into the school and shooting a student. And I knew her...she got killed before I could reach out to her to be friends, we were kind of friends in middle school and I wanted to hang out with her more in highschool...but she got shot and that is why I have f*****g PTSD.

We also had a German foriegn exchange student, I didn't get to know her really...but she was in the class that the shooter entered...so her experience of american school was a shooter situation where she was in the same class as the girl that was killed. Like she was there when the gunman came into that classroom....though I never got to know that girl at all I just hope she was ok. I mean she didn't even have family nearby to go to at that point.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 1:35 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
STOP KILLING PEOPLE!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

You need to say it louder!

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 1:42 pm

Speculation on my part based on incomplete information.

I think he probably did have a mental condition(s)(Autism is a possibility based on how people are describing him) that went undiagnosed because he knew how to hide his dark it enough not to bring attention.

The cops know a lot more then they are letting on as he is cooperating.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 2:33 pm

Just another day in the US. They continue to ignore the warning signs or live in deep denial, and then when it happens Trump gives money to the NRA and none to help the survivors and their families while sending his "thoughts and prayers" BS.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 3:01 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 3:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Just another day in the US. They continue to ignore the warning signs or live in deep denial, and then when it happens Trump gives money to the NRA and none to help the survivors and their families while sending his "thoughts and prayers" BS.

What warning signs? His personal computing was very disturbing but from what I have read so far there were no public "creepy" warning signs. The complete opposite of the Parkland guy who pushed a baby into the water at age 2 and who throughout his life authorities constantly ignored warnings given to them.

Are we going to adopt a "you got to watch out for the quiet one's" policy? Are we going to mandate searches of the computers of males between the ages of 13 and 30 because there might be warning signs?