Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 1:41 am

Ilikemusic wrote:
Ok. That makes me feel a bit better. I do have difficulties with "simple" things

I know how you feel. I need help along those lines too. Nothing wrong with it. It's just the way it is. Maybe they're even looking into setting things up for you to live more independently now that you're 18.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2018, 8:55 am

Ilikemusic wrote:
Ok. That makes me feel a bit better. I do have difficulties with "simple" things

How are you in emergencies? In other words, if a fire occured would you be able to leave the house or would you be gripped with fear and panic that you cannot do pretty much anything?
I understand the need to be independent but it sounds like they are trying to keep you safe. And as one poster stated, most likely you will do basically the same things you were able to do when your parents were there, actually more tbh, they sre jist hired help.
To increase your independence maybe talk to your parents and ask them their concerns, really listen. They will more likely to open up if they feel you are not going to jump down their throat with every issues you don't agree with, write it down and try ti address it. Mayne have visual schedules that you can follow daily for chores, practice emergency routines when a fire alarm goes off. These things might set your perents at ease as your safety.
It is good that you are taking the initiative and posting your questions here. It helps.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2018, 9:12 am

Thank you. Yeah, I would be panicked if a fire happened. My parents do have visual schedules. They are for my morning routine.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:33 pm

EzraS wrote:
Ilikemusic wrote:

I know how you feel. I need help along those lines too. Nothing wrong with it. It's just the way it is. Maybe they're even looking into setting things up for you to live more independently now that you're 18.

I also need help with the "simple" things. It's just the way things are and you aren't any less of a person because of it. Like Ezra said, maybe they are looking to make you more independent, reasonably speaking.