What rocks/gems/minerals do you like?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2018, 10:33 am

What gems/rocks/minerals do you like?

One of my favorites is howlite, which is white with dark streaks, and its discoverer had the last name How. It gets confused with white turquoise, but Wikipedia says that howlite actually has a higher hardness and is therefore better for use in jewelry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howlite

I also like fluorite, which I've always seen as greenish-purple, but the wiki says it's "the most colorful mineral in the world", coming in many different colors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorite

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 11:15 am

I like amethysts. But then again, it is my birthstone. It's also violet, which is one of my favorite colors.

People once believed it would protect them or cure them of intoxication. Some people today believe certain kinds of gemstones have healing powers and can cure anything, including autism. That is nonsense, they're all just a bunch of pretty rocks. Although they're not usually as pretty before they're smoothed and polished.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 1:59 pm

I had a big purple fluorite octagon when I was a kid. That's always been one of my favorites. :D

There Are Four Lights!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 2:33 pm

I like blue goldstone because it looks like a starry night sky.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:06 pm

As an ex-caver (spelunker), it has to be calcite for me. The variety of forms of flowstones, stalactites, stalagmites, gour pools and "moon milk" never ceased to amaze me - particularly the extremely long, thin, hollow straw stalactites that could cover a ceiling in their thousands. We used to go down old mines too, as there was a huge lead mining area in the nearest limestone karst, dating back at least to medieval times (Cistercian monks opened up many of the mines) - just rummaging through the spoil tips used to turn up some lovely specimens of all manner of minerals and crystals.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Lapis lazuli. My favorite shade of blue.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:47 pm

I like labradorite for it's electric blue veins of colour. Not sure where it is right now or if I've lost it.. but I have a piece that's cut and polished like this and sort of looks like a little Earth:

I have probably a few dozen different crystals/gemstones. Another that comes to mind is Ammolite, which is from fossilized shell linings & only from Canada. I bought a teardrop shaped piece that's capped with quartz for robustness from a gem show a couple years ago that looks like a rainbow Wreck Beach Sunset. (and also bought a small round Australian white opal that looks like a little moon - the idea being that I'm going to commission my silversmith friend to turn them into a money clip for me someday.)

The piece I have looks kind of like these, but upside down, and the green is off to the side(s) representing islands off the coast & it truly does look like a Wreck Beach Sunset when the colours split and the full rainbow spectrum is visible.

This is far from the best Sunset pic I've snapped, and I've seen better rainbow skies here, but this is one I snapped on May 16th - Sliver Moon & Venus visible above against a rainbow sky.

Jasonhans202120
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2021, 7:15 am

I have a great collection of crystals and i have found even a better collection of stones

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:25 am

As a kid I was obsessed with almost everything science, but in addition gems and minerals caught my attention alot. I think I still have a box of amethysts, citrines, quartz, etc. from my childhood in a box somewhere.

More recently as an adult, about ten years ago, I decided to take a few weeks to go to Australia and New Zealand and I landed in Brisbane right as the flood was receding. That's where I started seeing the fliers for opals. Particularly boulder opals and ironstone compounds really caught my attention as cool stuff. To me they're nature's wild-style graffiti.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:28 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I like labradorite for it's electric blue veins of colour. Not sure where it is right now or if I've lost it.. but I have a piece that's cut and polished like this and sort of looks like a little Earth:

I noticed on Facebook I'm seeing more advertisements for dice and runes carved in that. Bismuth's another one that's been getting a lot of attention on how decorative it's colors and crystal structure can be.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:33 am

Kiriae wrote:

How do you make the picture move like that?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

13 Jan 2021, 4:19 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

How do you make the picture move like that?

It's a GIF. A fracture of a video or a string of pictures.
https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-to-make-gif/

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Last edited by Rexi on 13 Jan 2021, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:40 pm

Quite like opal because of the vivid colours but also Geode, rock with crystal inside.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 2:45 pm

I very much love sapphires. They're just so blue...

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 5:49 pm

I like fossils.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 6:22 pm

Opals, especially the blue ones. I’ve also lately been drawn to Boulder opals.

Amethyst, agates, turquoise, garnets

Geodes, fossils.