Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:07 pm

So I'm with my dad and he decides to get a couple of things at Walgreens. And at the check stand it's "would you like to donate to so in so?" "Would you like a such in such card to save on this purchase?" "Would you like to fill out a survey?" geeze louise never going back to Walgreens again.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:28 pm

That's quite patronizing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:35 pm

I was waiting for them to ask my dad if he wanted to adopt a kitten or give blood.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2018, 8:47 pm

I haven't been to Walgreens in a very long time. Our RiteAid is transitioning to becoming a Walgreens thou & I'm kind of afraid of what the change will be since I go to RiteAid aLOT for various things. RiteAid does ask questions like that your dad got thou. We have a card that allows us to get points & save on things. They also sometimes ask us to donate & I just tell them "Not Today" or "Not This Time" & there is always a survey on the receipt unless there's a coupon there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:53 pm

Walgreens own Boots (formerly 'Boots The Chemist') in the UK. It used to be a well run, good value customer-focused store until it was taken over by a private equity outfit (Pessina), then by Walgreen. Now no-one in their right mind would go shopping there, unless they enjoy being ripped off.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 9:39 pm

EzraS wrote:
I was waiting for them to ask my dad if he wanted to adopt a kitten or give blood.

Haha

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 10:01 pm

Most chain retailers ask those questions these days.. but usually just one or two, not three or more at once - that'd get annoying.

One grocery chain always asks "Would you like the deal of the week?" as their policy is if the cashier doesn't ask, then you get it for free. I think I've said yes once ever because it was a thing I actually needed.

Sometimes when I'm in a rush I'll just pre-emptively tell them "I don't have or want a card, I don't want the deal of the week," and just hand them cash.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 10:07 pm

I've never been to Walgreen's, but this past week my mother and I went to a store that sold kitchen items, and when my mother picked out what she wanted I thought the cashier was never going to shut up. My mom didn't seem to mind though. She was chatting and laughing along while I was wandering around waiting to leave. I felt like complaining afterwards but I didn't want to spoil my mother's enjoyment during our shopping trip, and besides she got me some reusable food containers that were on sale that the cashier pushed her into buying.

Last edited by lostonearth35 on 19 May 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:17 am

Why doesn't Walgreens have green walls inside?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 4:26 am

A lot of places are like this.

Walgreen's is weird, though, because if you don't have a card, you don't get the sale prices. My mom already has a card, so I just punch in our phone number and I'm good to go.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2018, 5:38 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
A lot of places are like this.

Walgreen's is weird, though, because if you don't have a card, you don't get the sale prices. My mom already has a card, so I just punch in our phone number and I'm good to go.
RiteAid & CVS are like that too but with RiteAid you earn points when you buy stuff & after so many points, your eligible for 10% off for a year & then 20% if you earn enough. Lots of other stores have a card too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 9:19 am

My parents always have problems with my prescriptions at Walgreens.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 10:23 am

Well, I guess my mother wasn't *really* pushed into buying those containers. My mom's not the kind of person who easily gets pushed into doing anything she doesn't want to. :)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:01 pm

I worked there for a short period of time and I was a cashier. The company and management require you to ask those questions to customers and you get in trouble if you forget to ask customers even one of them. It's pretty strict there and at a lot of places.

I agree though, it can be annoying from the point of view of the customer. As an employee, it also gave me major anxiety too because I was terrified of forgetting the "magic questions" and getting fired.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:23 pm

nick007 wrote:
RiteAid & CVS are like that too...

We don't have a lot of RiteAids left, and CVS is a lot more expensive than everywhere else.

I haven't been to any drug store in a long while, though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 9:28 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I worked there for a short period of time and I was a cashier. The company and management require you to ask those questions to customers and you get in trouble if you forget to ask customers even one of them. It's pretty strict there and at a lot of places.

I agree though, it can be annoying from the point of view of the customer. As an employee, it also gave me major anxiety too because I was terrified of forgetting the "magic questions" and getting fired.

I'm sure a lot of cashiers hate it as much or more than anyone else.