Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 11:49 am

Lately I’ve been feeling like I’m living a maybe life. Like I’m an automoton just going through the motions. I think it’s my meds.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 12:24 pm

What medications do you take, besides sertraline?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 1:20 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
What medications do you take, besides sertraline?

Lithium Carbonate ER, Depakote ER/Depakote Sprinkles, Zyprexa, Seroquel XR/Seroquel, and Klonopin.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:46 pm

Yeah, no wonder you have some depersonalization :) . That's a lot of medications to take (and perhaps interact with each other) all at once. I'm sorry you have to deal with that though :( .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:48 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Yeah, no wonder you have some depersonalization :) . That's a lot of medications to take (and perhaps interact with each other) all at once. I'm sorry you have to deal with that though :( .

And each med has side effects on its own.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 4:04 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah 8O . That's not fun. How long have you been taking the antipsychotics? You haven't developed tardive dyskinesia, right?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 7:50 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah 8O . That's not fun. How long have you been taking the antipsychotics? You haven't developed tardive dyskinesia, right?

I've been on antipsychotics for 10 years (although I needed them well before that). I haven't developed tardive dyskinesia, but I've experienced heavy sedation (to the point where people couldn't wake me up), significant weight gain (went from 150lbs. to 320lbs.), high prolactin levels, and inability to regulate body temperature.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 9:12 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I've been on antipsychotics for 10 years (although I needed them well before that). I haven't developed tardive dyskinesia, but I've experienced heavy sedation (to the point where people couldn't wake me up), significant weight gain (went from 150lbs. to 320lbs.), high prolactin levels, and inability to regulate body temperature.

Dear goodness! That must be horrible. Do the benefits outweigh the side effects for you though? I imagine that they must with you continuing to take them for 10 years, but gosh, I’m sorry about that :| .

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 9:56 pm

I suppose the benefits outweigh the side effects. I don't remember anymore...oh cognitive impairment and akathesia as well.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 8:49 pm

Too much stuff. It takes a lot less than that to make me feel like a robot.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 4:15 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
You haven't developed tardive dyskinesia, right?

I've often wondered if some of my stims were just a result of too many antipsychotics when I was a teen :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I've often wondered if some of my stims were just a result of too many antipsychotics when I was a teen :roll:

Do you feel like they are involuntary or voluntary movements?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 7:24 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

All my stims are involuntary , can you get voluntary stims ?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 4:01 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Actually, all stimming is voluntary. Stimming is often subconscious (not realizing you're engaging in the behavior) or even sometimes unwanted, but it is completely voluntary. Involuntary movements are known as tics. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between tics and stims, but a good rule of thumb is that tics are usually non-repetitive, jerky movements that are almost always noticed by the patient and completely annoying and interfering with daily activities. Self-stimulatory behavior, on the other hand, is often repetitive, calming, and serves the purpose of calming the person down or providing them with input. It often interferes with daily activities and can get to the point where it is unwanted by the patient, but it isn't like your body is just choosing to make weird, jerky movements or vocalizations. There is often some degree of control there.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 4:45 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Actually, all stimming is voluntary. Stimming is often subconscious (not realizing you're engaging in the behavior) or even sometimes unwanted, but it is completely voluntary. Involuntary movements are known as tics. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between tics and stims, but a good rule of thumb is that tics are usually non-repetitive, jerky movements that are almost always noticed by the patient and completely annoying and interfering with daily activities. Self-stimulatory behavior, on the other hand, is often repetitive, calming, and serves the purpose of calming the person down or providing them with input. It often interferes with daily activities and can get to the point where it is unwanted by the patient, but it isn't like your body is just choosing to make weird, jerky movements or vocalizations. There is often some degree of control there.

I don't have tics then , 80% of the time I don't know I'm doing it straight away , even when I'm putting myself in stress positions , my GF usually points it out. They are definitely calming but never felt them as input ( despite the the name and reading about them ) as most of the time it happens when I'm anxious so I thought it was just nerves or some sort of distraction. Over the years I think I have managed to hide them from everyone. They definitely don't feel voluntary though.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I don't have tics then , 80% of the time I don't know I'm doing it straight away , even when I'm putting myself in stress positions , my GF usually points it out. They are definitely calming but never felt them as input ( despite the the name and reading about them ) as most of the time it happens when I'm anxious so I thought it was just nerves or some sort of distraction. Over the years I think I have managed to hide them from everyone. They definitely don't feel voluntary though.

Based on what you describe, they are probably stims that are done subconsciously. Can you stop the behavior once you know you are doing it? I’m just curious. If it is involuntary, you would not likely be able to or only for a little while.