Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Loony Moony
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2018, 3:27 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post. I'm new and hopefully getting diagnosed soon (maybe I'll post an introduction later). I just feel like you guys might be able to understand this best.
My problem is that I have a very low threshold for being overwhelmed by any social situations. And I feel like recently has been a bit too much and I could just spend the next couple of days alone and in bed. However, I have lots of things coming up (for my standards at least) and I can't get out of them. We have visitors staying with us for a week and I am actually looking forward to that but I know it will be exhausting and also other conversations with people, a concert my voice teacher invited me to (Sunday) and 2 therapist's appointments (Monday and Tuesday).
I have been in an okay place recently (with depression and stuff) and I fear that this might trigger another really bad episode with suicidal thoughts (I hope it's okay to talk about this here, I didn't see it in the 'Read First' thing). I've had a bad, almost shutdown-like evening today and really don't want it to get worse.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to cope with this better? I really don't know what to do.
Sorry if I don't make sense right now, I'm super tired, but I can't sleep because my head won't shut up :roll:
Thanks for reading this, if anyone does. And do let me know if this is the wrong place to post.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 5:46 pm

Welcome to WP.

I don't have any really great advice.

But I would suggest you just pace yourself. Only do what you have to do for your guests. Then withdraw into your bedroom, saying you need to take a nap.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 6:03 pm

Welcome to WP!

I hear you about your social exhaustion. I'm afraid of social situations, as well. I shut down very easily and understand how you feel just anticipating the events. I know it will likely be difficult to do, but I recommend that you be upfront with your guests about your needs. They will (I hope!) understand that you are happy to see them regardless of your anxiety, as long as you are honest about your need to withdraw. If discussion is uncomfortable, perhaps you could (text) (email) (write) to them ahead of time so you don't have to initiate the topic verbally in their presence.

Likewise, it's entirely appropriate to tell your vocal coach you are grateful for the invitation, but you aren't feeling well enough to attend at this time (details optional).

I try not to have more than one professional appointment in a week, or sometimes even longer. If it's at all possible to reschedule one or even both of your therapy appointments, you should. I am seeing my psychologist tomorrow and I don't have another appointment with anyone until early June other than a much needed massage.

Diagnosis or not, you know your needs best.

Good luck
Isabella

Loony Moony
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2018, 6:13 pm

Thanks!

I feel a bit weird about telling people about my problems. Especially this type and going into enough detail to make it acceptable for them.
The thing is that I don't actually know our guests in person. They're my dad's school friend's kid and his two friends. So it's especially weird to tell them upon arrival. They're also from a different country and here for the first time as far as I know. I don't want to seem too rude.

About the appointments: I'm not too happy with them so close either, but they're at two different places and also first-time appointments. I didn't have much choice unfortunately and I also didn't want to wait another month or so to finally get an appointment.

I feel like I'm already letting everyone down all the time which is not my intention. That's why I'm so hesitant to cancel again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 6:25 pm

You don't have to tell them about your problems if you don't want to. It's none of their business.

I guess I would still say that I have a bit of a headache, and need a nap.

Do you have a significant other who is "social?"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 6:59 pm

Agreed with Kortie. I'm sorry Tara; I didn't realize you are 18 (therefore, I thought you were older and had invited some guests directly on your own). In that case, I would have suggested just saying that you were tired or feeling some overwhelm (details aren't their business). When I see that you are 18 and that they aren't even your direct guests, this changes things even more. You don't need to tell them anything. Your father (assuming he will be there) can deal with his guests in his own way. You can be sick, tired, studying... whatever. None of their business. Don't feel compelled to socialize with people you didn't directly invite.

Also I didn't notice that one of your appointments is with an actual assessment therapist. Please conserve as much energy as you can for that appointment. Everything else can go by the wayside.

Loony Moony
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2018, 3:05 am

Sorry, I probably didn't explain it enough so that it would be understandable. I was really tired and my head was annoying me with worries and other stuff.
Well, the guest situation is a bit difficult. My father claims to be in a far worse state than me and has barely left bed the past couple of weeks, so I doubt he will be able to take care of them which is why I feel responsible to show them around, etc. I guess my father thinks the same thing because apparently I don't have any problems and since they're my age I should just have fun with them... Which I really want to, but well, we'll see how it goes.
I should just stop worrying and complaining. It's a sh***y situation and I don't know what is going to happen. So what if I feel bad for a couple of days. It has happened before and will happen again. I just hope I don't carry it out on other people or start cancelling important appointments...
Gosh, I'm hopeless, sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me.