Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:24 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I would always try to get to bed by 4AM, but it would slowly drift further and further, until I would notice that the sun was coming up before I was asleep...so then I'd have to force myself to start going to bed earlier.

People and animals exhibit a natural, innate circadian rhythm, and the periodicity of that rhythm does not in all cases approximate natural day-length. If placed in a cave environment where there is no natural sunshine and no clocks, people's tendency to sleep and wake varies all over the place, with some having a shorter and others a longer day-length than 24 hours. These differences can cause a number of different sorts of sleep disorders.

In everyday life, we are "entrained" (re-set) by events such as a work shift, sunrise, television shows we regularly watch, and so on. (In my case, my cats, wanting to be fed in the morning!)

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2018, 11:38 am

I was a night owl for the first 40 years of my life. Whenever I had time off from school or work I would stay up later and later every night until it wrapped around. I don’t know if it’s age or these b vitamins I’ve been taking but these days I have no fixed schedule working from home and go to bed at a reasonable time and naturally wake up early. I find it kind of strange but I’m growing to like it.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:45 am

I have a non 24 hour sleeping pattern and feel best when I sleep through the day. I am sleeping through the night now and just cannot concentrate in the day.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 7:22 pm

I am an early bird. As a child, I discovered that an early morning paper route (4:30 am) gave me an hour or so of beautiful and free private time in the pre-dawn hours. I would get back to my house before anyone else got up. I am still an early riser and do not last long into the evening.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:14 pm

I can definitely relate to the darkness of night/evening being extremely soothing. I often work best in the evening because I am less overwhelmed with visual input and it is very relaxing.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:14 pm

evenin

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2018, 11:05 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
this is the only time i can find some quiet and solace.

My truth and even then it's not promised

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:14 pm

Most likely. I had been since when I was 8.
Not just for recreational purposes, I also prefer doing chores at odd hours.

My sleep is inconsistently inconsistent/consistent. Sleeping schedules could change within months or hours.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:29 pm

I'm usually awake until dawn.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jun 2018, 12:14 am

Absolutely night owl all my life. Bedtime is about 3am and I've noticed naptime is about 3pm.

At 5am promptly, my cat wakes me for breakfast but if I'm sick she'll let me sleep later. If I just plain ran out of cat food (how does she know the difference?) she bonks her forehead really hard on mine, no mercy. That only happened once and food was arriving at 10:30am. It's amazing how many times I can go right back to sleep if there's nothing I can do.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 4:40 am

LisaM1031 wrote:
As far back as I can remember, I have always been a night owl. I am currently in between jobs and my natural sleep cycle seems to be from about 3am to 11am when I wake up. There is something about the dark and stillness that I find very soothing. Is this something common to people on the spectrum?

I currently have two jobs that are both night shift jobs and I sleep during the day so I'm a night owl but not my choice. But there is something very soothing about driving to and from work when there aren't many cars on the road and it's somewhat dark or at least late evening or early morning.

I suppose I would be a night owl anyways except that it is somewhat difficult to sleep during the day when they're so much noise out. I guess the time of day when you're most active and not surrounded by too many people is probably best for anyone with Autism I believe.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 5:16 am

I'll admit to being a bit of a night owl, but I do try to keep my sleep schedule in check. With varying results - some nights I go to sleep as early as 9pm, others as late as 5am.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2018, 9:17 am

No. I don't like being up at night at all. When the sun drops around 10 PM, I find myself thinking "what's there to do? It's too dark" and figure "let's sleep and skip the night, so morning comes sooner", and I'm always up by 7 AM, and usually awake by 6. This bias could be because most of the stuff I enjoy doing is outside, and it's to darn hard to see outside when it's dark at night.

Personally, I find sleeping a very convenient way to skip the night.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

Mee too, I like being awake in the night time as nobody else is around and I can think clear.
Its relaxing and the time when I feel most imaginative. Always have been like that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2018, 1:30 pm

I always been up late but I think some of that is because I lived with my parents who criticized my Aspie quirks so I felt better doing things after they went to bed. I had alot more privacy at night. The longest job I had which was 25 months involved me working at night. I still stay up really late now that I moved in with my girlfriend but some of that is because she does parlty because things are quieter for her at night(she's also on the spectrum).

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 8:40 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
If placed in a cave environment where there is no natural sunshine and no clocks, people's tendency to sleep and wake varies all over the place, with some having a shorter and others a longer day-length than 24 hours.

Perhaps.

I always feel like there just aren't enough hours in a day. I always wake up feeling terribly groggy, and by the time I finally start to feel awake, it's about time to start thinking about settling down =|

And it never seems to matter how much sun I see or how little caffeine I drink :roll: