I'm 13 and have a question about Autism

Page 10 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2018, 8:12 pm

EzraS wrote:
colton.s wrote:
So today one of my friends texted and said they want to come over and hang out, Then he texts me and I quote "not to sound mean but will your new brother be there he is kind of scary if he is can we meet at the Park" I just text him back and said I could not come out and left it at that. I was not sure what to say I know what I wanted to say. Then I got to thinking and not that I have a lot of friends we only have lived here 9 weeks, most of my friends are at my old school, anyways The kids I know here that I skate with or hang with at the park all but Callie never come to the house some have never been but the ones that have never come back I had never really thought about it but now I wonder if they all feel that way. I had one guy say some pretty mean things about JD but I didn't like him much anyway. I just hate to think 1. my friends are that shallow and 2. that I pick that bad of friends on the other side of that I feel bad because I really like hanging out with those guys and not a lot of people my age around here, anyways just venting

I don't think you should hold it against them. It's human nature to be leery around people who act differently. I'm speaking for myself here cause I don't know JD, but I know I do act strangely and people do stare because of it. I figure I could be angry about that or just say "meh human nature at work". You might try ribbing your friend a little and say something like "seriously you're scared of a little kid?'.

That is why I just said I could not come out because I did not know how to deal with it I just don't get it he is a little kid

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 6:58 am

It's good to know your time together with the horses went well.

As above, a lot of people are wary or scared of what they don't understand, but sometimes they just want to avoid things they don't wantto deal with due to being lazy. While it's good to try and educate others, this can be hard work too. These things take usually take time, the key, on whether to make the effort or not is if people are willing to learn and open to changing their opinions. You can lead a horse to water...
You need to do what feels right to you and try not to be frustrated if making progress goes slower than you would like it to.

With regards to moving to the ranch, again it will take time for a solution to be found. Try to be patient, I know that can be hard. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to offer suggestions on the subject. I'll leave you to choose if you want discuss it more

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2018, 9:48 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
It's good to know your time together with the horses went well.

As above, a lot of people are wary or scared of what they don't understand, but sometimes they just want to avoid things they don't wantto deal with due to being lazy. While it's good to try and educate others, this can be hard work too. These things take usually take time, the key, on whether to make the effort or not is if people are willing to learn and open to changing their opinions. You can lead a horse to water...
You need to do what feels right to you and try not to be frustrated if making progress goes slower than you would like it to.

With regards to moving to the ranch, again it will take time for a solution to be found. Try to be patient, I know that can be hard. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to offer suggestions on the subject. I'll leave you to choose if you want discuss it more

I kind of decided to see where it goes with my friends I don't like the way they are acting but JD did kind of scare me at first. if I'm honest about it. as for living on the ranch, I do kind of understand my stepdads point, that house has been in my family over a 100 years I did hear them talking about maybe buying an acre of land that is next to the ranch same fence line and building a new house I think it is kind if dumb but I do understand his point I guess but you are right WP is about learning about JD and I have done that because of all the help here

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

colton.s wrote:
skibum wrote:
I think you may be right that he may have been triggered by a smell. When I am at the store and I go down the laundry/soap isle especially, the smell is so overwhelming sometimes that I can't tolerate it. If he was close to the soap isle or the laundry isle, the smells could have been too much for him. There are also some food isles that I can't tolerate also because of the smells.

that's the row we were on and a box was broke on the floor

Hey Colton first I just wanted to say I think it’s great that you’re here to learn how to help your little brother.

I have similar (but more mild) issues with perfumes and laundry chemicals. One thing that helps me a lot is to only buy chemical free, natural scent products: laundry soap, replace dryer sheets with reusable dryer balls, shampoo, conditioner, soap, dish soap, get rid of scented candles. These products are becoming much more popular and widely available. If they cause your brother to meltdown, having even small amounts around your house likely bother him and make it easier for him to get overloaded and it’s a pretty easy change to make for your parents.

Everyone is so nice and helpful in this thread. Colton you’re bringing out the good in people around here :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

colton.s wrote:
skibum wrote:
I think it's really important for you guys to be able to be there. Hopefully your parents can get creative so that you and JD can stay at the ranch.

maybe it will happen
I will pray that it does. I would be so happy for you guys if you could live there again.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 5:51 pm

I think it's fine to offer the family suggestions about the ranch as long as we do it in a considerable and respectful way. They are only suggestions and they can take them or leave them. And it might help them come up with solutions that they might not have thought of otherwise.

Wreck It Ralph

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

leahbear wrote:
colton.s wrote:
skibum wrote:
I think you may be right that he may have been triggered by a smell. When I am at the store and I go down the laundry/soap isle especially, the smell is so overwhelming sometimes that I can't tolerate it. If he was close to the soap isle or the laundry isle, the smells could have been too much for him. There are also some food isles that I can't tolerate also because of the smells.

that's the row we were on and a box was broke on the floor

Hey Colton first I just wanted to say I think it’s great that you’re here to learn how to help your little brother.

I have similar (but more mild) issues with perfumes and laundry chemicals. One thing that helps me a lot is to only buy chemical free, natural scent products: laundry soap, replace dryer sheets with reusable dryer balls, shampoo, conditioner, soap, dish soap, get rid of scented candles. These products are becoming much more popular and widely available. If they cause your brother to meltdown, having even small amounts around your house likely bother him and make it easier for him to get overloaded and it’s a pretty easy change to make for your parents.

Everyone is so nice and helpful in this thread. Colton you’re bringing out the good in people around here :D

Thank you very much

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2018, 7:23 pm

skibum wrote:
I think it's fine to offer the family suggestions about the ranch as long as we do it in a considerable and respectful way. They are only suggestions and they can take them or leave them. And it might help them come up with solutions that they might not have thought of otherwise.

I agree it is fine thats how we learn

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2018, 3:43 pm

well today we are tractoring again as DJ says, I give up on figuring him out, not giving up on him just figuring him out.JD wants to ride with me raking which is cool he picked me but after we started he decided he wanted the windows open. First, it is like 102 outside, second it is dusty, and third, it is loud when you open the window on a tractor the rake makes a lot of noise as you can see well hear.

He does take after me in one way after about an hour he was in the floor asleep I all ways did that when I was little too.I'm not sure I get it but he is almost like a different kid on Grandpa's farm he more outgoing well he is more curious I guess, when we get home he goes back to his his world in the den and his room it is like being around to different kids

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm

Just one last thanks I learned a lot and would like to think what I learned here, help me and JD learn about each other I think without what I learned here. I would still just feel like I had this weird little kid I had to live with and I was a little scared of. I will update from time to time if anyone would like, but as mom says never overstay your welcome.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 12:30 am

That's cool he opens up more out at the ranch. I'm told I'm a lot more open outdoors and soon as I get home I withdraw into my room. I'd say you have gotten a pretty good understanding so far and quickly. As far as overstaying your welcome, someone shoulda told me about that almost 5 years and 15000 posts ago :lol:

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2018, 9:05 am

EzraS wrote:
That's cool he opens up more out at the ranch. I'm told I'm a lot more open outdoors and soon as I get home I withdraw into my room. I'd say you have gotten a pretty good understanding so far and quickly. As far as overstaying your welcome, someone shoulda told me about that almost 5 years and 15000 posts ago :lol:

JD does like outside I don't think he got to go outside much before and my family was or is an outside family. I could live at the skatepark or on my horse which is not a normal combination I'm told anyways thanks

colton.s
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2018, 10:00 am

Ok so new question I keep reading terms like NT and so on when people talk about Autism so where can I see a list of definitions because it is like a foreign language sometimes

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 10:29 am

colton.s wrote:
Ok so new question I keep reading terms like NT and so on when people talk about Autism so where can I see a list of definitions because it is like a foreign language sometimes

NT stands for "neurologically typical". You would be considered an NT (along with 99% of the population). In my opinion it's a made up term that exists mainly on the internet for people who don't have autism. A lot of times it's used in a bad way like, "NT's are such jerks" etc.

Aspie is for someone with Asperger's syndrome "a form of autism". But the term has been officially discontinued. Now it's just called high functioning autism or mild autism. You'll also see ASD and "on the spectrum" all just meaning autism.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 11:01 am

The word neurotypical, NT, originally meant anyone who is not Autistic. Now the word Allistic means anyone who is not Autistic. And now the word neurotypical, like Ezra explained, means anyone who has a brain and neurological system that developed normally. The definition was changed because there are many other conditions that can make someone have an atypical (not typical) brain and neurological system. Not all neurodiverse people will be Autistic. Neurodiverse is a word used to describe the fact that there are many people who have conditions that make their brains and neurological systems different, not just Autistic people. So in the world of atypical neurology, there is a lot of diversity.

If you have a list of words or concepts that you would like us to explain to you, definitely post them and we can do that. In fact, it would be great to start a new thread that is for these kinds of definitions.

I love that you think that this is like a different language. Often times when Autistic people talk to neurotypicals, even if we are speaking the same actual language like English or French, we feel like we are speaking different languages because most neurotypicals speak from a social point of view which most Autistic people cannot understand well and most Autistic people speak from a more logical and literal point of view which many neurotypicals cannot understand well. But Autistic people are always expected to somehow figure out what NTs are saying even though NTs are not always expected to figure out what Autistics are saying. So it makes it hard because it can be very exhausting for us to be constantly trying to understand what nts are saying. It is almost like speaking a different language all the time. So it is great that you are feeling a bit lost in the way that we communicate. It helps you have a tiny understanding of what it is like for us most of the time. And most nts will not help us to understand them, they just expect us to understand them without any help at all. So now that you are in that position, it will help you have a deeper understanding and more compassion for Autistic people.

I love how you are learning about Autistic people. Many people just rely on their doctors and therapists to teach them about their Autistic children and never ask actual Autistic people how we really are. A lot of the doctors and therapists are not Autistic themselves so even though the can often give great and helpful advice, they can never know how it actually feels to be Autistic. But you asking questions to us is really fantastic. Your maturity level and compassion and pure heart actually remind me of Ezra when he was your age. Ezra is also wise beyond his years, even from when he was a young kid, (now he's an old kid :P ) and he has a heart of pure gold as well just like you. I am so glad that both of you are here.

Wreck It Ralph

VIPIN
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2018, 11:31 am

I am socially awkward person. I always think why I am not able to behave like others. And I suspect that there is something wrong with me socially. After doing some research I am pretty sure that I have a lot of autistic symptoms. I will go for the diagnosis at clinic. But one thing I want to know, Is there any problem if I found on autistic spectrum?Can I live like I was living before?