Understanding the experience of eating for those with ASD

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2018, 2:48 pm

I think we Aspies eat like we live. We come to obsess on a small group of foods and then stick about them. I think we tend to loosen up a bit as we get older. I would hardly eat fruit or vegetables until my early teens, for example. I still don't eat fruit, but will eat any vegetable now. Texture of food is a major thing for us. I can't take the soft texture of many fruits, for example. The texture of Bananas are disgusting to me, for instance, though the actual flavour of banana is not.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2018, 9:05 am

I don't have perfect control over what I eat, as I still live at home, but I like to eat the same thing every day. Egg salad sandwich for breakfast, pasta with cucumbers for lunch, and a dinner of white rice with fried broccoli and vegetarian chicken. I would be very happy to eat that way daily, and I do when I can, but my family likes variety and I'm a very lazy creature when it comes to food, so I won't cook for myself. As a result, I do often eat outside of that menu, but there's a very long list of foods I won't eat and the rules surrounding what I will eat are extensive, a few prominent examples being:
- I prefer to eat in groups of three (which is OCD-driven, I believe)
- I gag on bright colors
- I can't eat untoasted bread or foods of that texture
- Sugar makes me feel awful
- Regarding the foods I do eat, I can only stand certain brands
- I won't eat any food that is prepared by someone other than my mom or myself
My food issues were much worse when I was younger. I would only eat beige-colored foods and at one point refused to eat anything other than cheerios. I ended up underweight and my growth was stunted, but I "got over it" around the time I was eleven or twelve. I'm still on the verge of being underweight, but my diet is healthy and I have more variety than ever before.