Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:06 am

Sorry I overreacted, I just got upset. That is how important my security is for me. If I was to lose my securities, I would literally die of fright. I'm just hoping that if there was to come a time where I might become homeless there would be professional people to talk to and support me and make sure I have a home. I'm not some hardy man who somehow survives the cold living on the streets and is happy getting high on drugs or drunk on alcohol to escape. I am a timid wimpy female who wouldn't last 5 minutes living out on the streets, especially in the city where I live. Literally the thought of that really panics me.

I was waiting for kraftiekortie to post in this thread, as he's always understanding and tells me things aren't as bad as they seem, which does reassure me.
I suppose I do have family that will take me in should things get that bad, but I'm worrying more about me becoming homeless when I'm in my fifties or sixties, and by then I won't have many family members left and I'm scared I'll be all alone and uncared about. I suppose I shouldn't spend my happy days worrying about my life in 30-40 years time because you never know what's around the corner. I could win millions on the lottery tomorrow. Who knows?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

I believe, once you turn 60 in the UK, that you're pretty much guaranteed a home. Even when one is younger, a home is much more guaranteed for a person in the UK than in the US. I also believe you get free transport on local trains and buses, too, at age 60. And discounts on the railways.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 18 Jun 2018, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

There's lots of things I over react to and get paranoid of to the point where I'm physically ill.

Krafti always knows just the right thing to say.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:16 am

Definitely a different story here in the States. We are so wrapped up in rugged individualism....we often forget the help we got along the way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:34 am

Arevelion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The same amount of time that it takes you to realize that "Saving the Homeless" is best left up to the government and the NGOs that are already set up to do so, and not up to the general public. My wife and I have done this for 7 individuals, only 2 of whom have gone on to make something of themselves. The rest threatened us, ripped us off, lied to us, vandalized our house and property, and generally acted like savages. Never again. Never, ever again.
In that case we agree. But I can still donate to those NGOs right?
Of course! Pay someone else to put up with the schizos, the pedos, the junkies, the alkies, the ex-cons, and the people who believe that The World owes them a living. You might want to request a full audit of the NGOs' books, since even the United Way admits that only about 17 cents out of every dollar actually goes to the people and places it was intended for.
Arevelion wrote:
Also thank you for trying, and I'm sorry you were ripped of and threatened.
No need for you to apologize, unless you were one of those people...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:54 am

Homeless people can easily be the same families that lived on your street. This can and does happen to respectable folks.

We of all people should know that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 9:09 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Homeless people can easily be the same families that lived on your street. This can and does happen to respectable folks.
So? I remember a family down the street from where I grew up. Eight kids, three mothers, and not a husband in sight (lotsa boyfriends, though). Cops raided the place, CPS rounded up the kids, and the city condemned the property. Met one of the kids about 20 years later at a homeless shelter. He told me that none of the kids graduated high school, and those who were not dead or in prison were on the street. He told me stories of drug use, dealing, pimping, burglary, and the goats they raised in the basement. Respectable?
HistoryGal wrote:
We of all people should know that.
The 'respectable' ones always seem to have a fallback plan -- some means to get themselves up and out of the situation. For me, it was to actively seek out honest employment wherever I could find it, stay away from drugs and alcohol, stay out of trouble, save up what I could, and eventually get a place of my own again. 'Respectable' people don't seem to stay on the streets for very long, unless there are some severe health problems.

The 'not-respectable' ones seem to only have another angle on scamming the system, or they are in and out of prison so often that the warden should put a revolving door on their cell.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2018, 4:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Arevelion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The same amount of time that it takes you to realize that "Saving the Homeless" is best left up to the government and the NGOs that are already set up to do so, and not up to the general public. My wife and I have done this for 7 individuals, only 2 of whom have gone on to make something of themselves. The rest threatened us, ripped us off, lied to us, vandalized our house and property, and generally acted like savages. Never again. Never, ever again.
In that case we agree. But I can still donate to those NGOs right?
Of course! Pay someone else to put up with the schizos, the pedos, the junkies, the alkies, the ex-cons, and the people who believe that The World owes them a living. You might want to request a full audit of the NGOs' books, since even the United Way admits that only about 17 cents out of every dollar actually goes to the people and places it was intended for.
Arevelion wrote:
Also thank you for trying, and I'm sorry you were ripped of and threatened.
No need for you to apologize, unless you were one of those people...

I am not sure what to tell you.

I'm called a hypocrite, because I let others help homeless people for me. Then I am told to let the Government and NGOs do the work for me, and then I get criticized for putting the problem on the NGOs that are supposed to solve it.

It is clear I can't make you happy.

Nor do I need to.

But I do hope you never get ripped off again.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 5:47 pm

From my own personal experience, I've found that about 1/3rd of the homeless people I've encountered have a touch of autism, some more so than others. Also, amongst us, there were schizophrenics and people with all different kinds of mental health issues. These problems, combined with drunk and alcohol abuse, have kept a lot of us on the streets.

One interesting condition I've recognized many times on the streets is anosognosia - someone being unaware of their own mental health condition. This prevents them from seeking help, reinforcing the condition that their living situation is okay.

That said, there are many reasons why people end up homeless and just as many reasons why some stay that way forever. I didn't think my last bout of homelessness would last for five years, but it did. If anyone wants to come in here on their high horse and say I was a fool or stupid or whatever for being homeless, or would have done things differently, that's their prerogative. They haven't walked in my shoes and they should be glad they didn't.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 7:37 pm

Fnord, sometimes s**t happens to nice people....so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:02 am

Doesn't surprise me. In order to not become homeless as an autistic person is to be privileged. Have middle class parents or high class parents and have parents who are understanding and will support you financially if you ever hit hard times. And you will have a place to live or have parents who will send you money for your bills until you get a new job or get your Social Security sorted out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:13 am

Fnord wrote:

The rest threatened us, ripped us off, lied to us, vandalized our house and property, and generally acted like savages.

This is why my parents don't help random people. They don't even want us helping other people we know like co workers and stuff because my parents had their RV trashed by someone they knew who they let stay in it.

My brother also let his ex stay with him at his house but then she used the squatting law to stay and she would cause troubles there with my brother and he had to evict her treating her like she is a tenant. She had her parents place to stay at but she just wanted to give my brother a hard time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:15 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's very unsettling to hear that your cursed disability means you will more likely be homeless. Thanks a bunch. You've just made my anxiety a whole lot worse. I don't even know why the f**k I come to these sites for because all it does it scare me to death. I really cannot be homeless. I have treasured possessions, I need my own security, I get cold very easily, I get frightened of the streets, I hate drinkers and druggies, and here I am reading a f*****g piece of nightmare fuel about me ending up homeless.

All of you autistics that love your autism are pillocks, why the f**k would you love something that will make you live on the streets.

I don't want to f*****g be homeless I f*****g don't I am f*****g terrified please someone tell me this study is BS just like the vaccine causing autism study please. :cry:

Are your parents going to kick you out of their house, will they not let you move back in if you and your boyfriend break up?

Just because you are more likely to be homeless doesn't mean it will happen.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's always going to be a study which serves as some sort of "confirmation bias."

Just because there has been a study doesn't make it true. I can do a study and say the sky is green (or anything ridiculous he can think of to say)." My husband.

"Studies can be skewed." My mother.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:20 am

Realistic planning to stay housed is good, but worry is like praying for something bad to happen. We can't see better possibilities without some optimism. There is still luck in the world - a guy who I thought was headed for a disaster was offered a new place when I wasn't, but I got lucky with an inheritance around then.
BTW, a landlady who lives on-site can be anything from a major asset to an impossible problem, and can flip if you make new friends. You become a surrogate child if she knows you at all.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sorry I overreacted, I just got upset. That is how important my security is for me. If I was to lose my securities, I would literally die of fright. I'm just hoping that if there was to come a time where I might become homeless there would be professional people to talk to and support me and make sure I have a home. I'm not some hardy man who somehow survives the cold living on the streets and is happy getting high on drugs or drunk on alcohol to escape. I am a timid wimpy female who wouldn't last 5 minutes living out on the streets, especially in the city where I live. Literally the thought of that really panics me.

I was waiting for kraftiekortie to post in this thread, as he's always understanding and tells me things aren't as bad as they seem, which does reassure me.
I suppose I do have family that will take me in should things get that bad, but I'm worrying more about me becoming homeless when I'm in my fifties or sixties, and by then I won't have many family members left and I'm scared I'll be all alone and uncared about. I suppose I shouldn't spend my happy days worrying about my life in 30-40 years time because you never know what's around the corner. I could win millions on the lottery tomorrow. Who knows?

The UK seems to have a very good housing and welfare program so they will give you a home and disability pension and you can live comfortably from what I have seen.