Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2018, 6:05 pm

https://healthable.org/autistic-pride-day-2018/

Quote:
Autistic Pride Day

This event was first celebrated in 2005 by Aspies for Freedom; this event is run by autistic people themselves, this is a worldwide event that is mostly celebrated online.

The aim of this event is to correct the mindset that autism is a disability; those behind this event wants social acceptance for autistic individuals and for this condition to be seen as a difference and not a liability or a case for treatment.

The attitude of the society towards autistic individuals is that of pity and the belief that the condition requires treatment. Though autistic people have difficulties they face because of their neurodiversity, yet they have unique features that cannot be ignored.

This event is also used to campaign against discriminations and abusive forms of treatment. The group that organizes this event, the Aspies group for Freedom believe the challenges and difficulties faced by autistic people in the society are because of discrimination and social standards.

They also warn autism-related organizations to stop promoting the feelings of pity for autistic people because this makes their life harder. They insist the difference is that autism is a deviation from the normal and it is not a disability. They believe autistic people should not be seen as cases for treatment and that their innate potentials should not be ignored.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 6:10 pm

cool

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 6:54 pm

Last year's parade was canceled due to sensory overload.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm

EzraS wrote:
Last year's parade was canceled due to sensory overload.
LOL :hail:

Wreck It Ralph

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2018, 2:23 pm

Autistic Pride Day must, + by anyone ethical will, be disowned. Its origins are abusive.

Aspies For Freedom was a very ban-happy tyranny, + cult with 1 couple just fixed as its leaders. See under the "Aspies For Freedom" tag at "Autistic Groups Fairness Watch". In its original forum form it collapsed in 2013 under its own unworkability.

They were trying for worldwide leadership of aspies, yet they actually threw out the 2 folks who tried to start local groups for them: one just for naming himself in the credit for a fundraiser he organised, the other just for inadvertently asking the couple something they were secretive about. Also, AFF was founded taking a line against medical drugs for us, but within a year its site was proudly announcing connections made with professors who lecture in favour of drugging autistics - just like the ending to George Orwell's Animal Farm.

They are still seeking influence through being Autistic Pride Day's inventors. To keep that from them, as is the ethical duty to each other's emotional safety, their invention needs disowning.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 3:47 pm

Is there a toe fungus pride day?

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

Does anybody actually care what other people are proud of being? Whenever they have an I'm proud of being whatever parade, I just get annoyed because it makes me spend much more time in jammed up traffic and then I am more susceptible to meltdowns.

Wreck It Ralph

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 4:27 pm

Pride? It looks more like prejudice... NT's are what they are, and they can't change. Social standards are hardwired in their brains, so who we are to see them as a case for treatment?

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 5:10 pm

Leave pride to the individual. Awareness is all the public needs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 7:09 pm

Lest we forget the Autism idea was coined by people who thought we were not fully human and caused by our toxic parents. So not only should we not celebrate Autism Pride day, we should stop using the word Autism and accepting the concept(SMH).

So parashing a December cliche, Happy Autistic Pride day to all those celebrating.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2018, 7:21 pm

So we can make efforts to be ethical consumers, even when there are no perfect choices in the shops we can react against the worst choices.

Autism itself is a factual discovery rather than an invention, + we make the effort to denounce the cure propagandists for their wrong approach.

To expediently forget about Autistic Pride Day's origins is inconsistent with that, it's to leave a wrong approach unjudged. The inventors are not ancient history, they are still around seeking influence in exchange for the credit for inventing it. To accept their invention does further emotional harm + socially public hurt + embarrassment + injustice of pushing aside, to all AFF's victims + their friends.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 8:07 pm

If people want to celebrate pride in their Autism, I respect their right to do so. I just hope they don't have a parade where I need to drive.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 8:08 pm

tern wrote:
So we can make efforts to be ethical consumers, even when there are no perfect choices in the shops we can react against the worst choices.

Autism itself is a factual discovery rather than an invention, + we make the effort to denounce the cure propagandists for their wrong approach.

To expediently forget about Autistic Pride Day's origins is inconsistent with that, it's to leave a wrong approach unjudged. The inventors are not ancient history, they are still around seeking influence in exchange for the credit for inventing it. To accept their invention does further emotional harm + socially public hurt + embarrassment + injustice of pushing aside, to all AFF's victims + their friends.

What influence does this defunct organinization really having?

What damage is Autistic Pride Day really doing in 2018? What do we replace it with Aspies For Freedom sucked day?

skibum wrote:
If people want to celebrate pride in their Autism, I respect their right to do so. I just hope they don't have a parade where I need to drive.

A quick google search shows no parades. Now about those Autism Speaks walks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 9:23 pm

Autistic Pride Day? Really?

I'll celebrate it by going to work and doing the best that I am capable of doing.

Then I'll come home, have supper, snuggle up to my wife, and tell her how pretty she is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 10:11 am

Fnord wrote:
Autistic Pride Day? Really?

I'll celebrate it by going to work and doing the best that I am capable of doing.

Then I'll come home, have supper, snuggle up to my wife, and tell her how pretty she is.
Sounds like the best plan I have heard. You have a lucky wife. :D

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 10:12 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A quick google search shows no parades. Now about those Autism Speaks walks.
Hooray to no parades.
Don't get me started on Autism Speaks walks.

Wreck It Ralph