Dean Radin on the current state of psy research

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:01 am

I'm listening to this while I get ready for bed and it's fascinating. The host is asking Dean some really good questions about how broader consciousness would effect our interactions to the universe, how we'd map our relationship to that broader schema, ethical questions about AI and consciousness, in a way it sounds like Dean was mentioning something similar to Julio Tonini's model in how he thinks of physical and conscious processes albeit he's approaching awareness as more fundamental and cognition or self-awareness being the interaction of the components. They're also talking about how a lot of people in the physics and philosophy communities are slowly pulling back from naive materialism and taking panpsychism more seriously as a contendind model. I think the most important thing that needs to be achieved is for the state of experimentation to get beyond attempts to prove whether a sort of weak background psy is real and get deeper into the what and how questions.

From the sound of things they're both agnostic on whether a self would continue after death, even with consciousness either permeating the substrate or as the substrate you can't exactly take for granted that any memory of being you would come through with that. What I think would be the most interesting is if we could find ways to correlate subjective states of matter with physical ones because I have a feeling it would actually deepen the value of our current scientific knowledge rather than having it evaporate into some kind of idealistic solipsism the way some seem to think it might.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2018, 12:42 am

Now I'm listening too. It's very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.