Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 7:21 am

Hi Everyone,

So i've been feeling down for quite a number of years which has goten worse and i've got anxiety too. I've been prescribed sertraline aka Zoloft, which i'd be taking in the next couple of days. I was wondering if anyone else has ever taken this type of medication before and if so, did it benefit or help anyone in anyway?

Also what are the side affects? i've heard that very few get bad side affects from them and they normally make people feel down still when they first take them before the body adjusts and then it makes you happier .

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Many thanks!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 1:34 pm

At first it often makes the problems slightly worse. Can also cause some side effects like nausea, dizziness, headaches and the like. Most will disappear after a week or 3 - 4.

Side effects that will stay are often less libido or a sexual dysfunction, feeling tired, less energy, less emotions and a flat feeling. These are common. You can also experience none of these.

After 2 weeks you should start noticing a good effect. Maybe sooner, maybe later; different per person. In 4 to 6 weeks you should have the full effect and by then it is fully in your bloodstream.

If you still don't feel any effect in 4 to 5 weeks, consult your doctor/psychiatrist, and it might be smart to adjust the dosage or try a different type.

Every person reacts differently and it takes time to find a good type for you.

It can be a lifesaver. Know many people who can't life normally without.

Good luck!

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2018, 4:05 pm

I took it for a period and had no effect whatsoever, then again that's the result I've had with a lot of medications so far. Even if Zoloft itself doesn't work, there is always the good chance that another medication of the same type might, even if it's only slightly different. Know a lot of people who had to try multiple medications before finding what works for them.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:48 am

Thank you Loneloyalwolf and isloth for your replies.

@Lonelyloyalwolf. I've started them. I felt slight nausea first thing in the morning but i wasn't sure if it was that or due to the heat, as it's very hot where i am, my tummy made a gurgling noise after the first evening i took them but other than that, it's been ok (touch wood)

Thank you for the information, least i know what to expect.

@Isloth Sounds like it wasn't the right medication for you but at least you've tried it, that's true results can difer. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 3:49 pm

I am taking 100mg of sertraline at the moment, and it has really helped with my depressive symptoms. I did not experience many of the common side effects whilst I was increasing the dosage (I am at a plateau in the amount I take at the moment), but I did experience a few paradoxical effects. For example, my anxiety was worse for a while, and although I was more relaxed, the increase in dosage did make my OCD worse at times. However, if I wasn't taking it today, I don't know if I would be able to type this message. It can really be a lifesaver, and making the depression mild has made it easier to deal with the anxiety, which is very severe.

Good luck with the medication! I would say the best thing to do with side effects is to just wait them out; they tend to dissipate after a period of time. I hope it works out for you. It really did for me, even though I was reluctant to take it in the first place.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 8:11 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I am taking 100mg of sertraline at the moment, and it has really helped with my depressive symptoms. I did not experience many of the common side effects whilst I was increasing the dosage (I am at a plateau in the amount I take at the moment), but I did experience a few paradoxical effects. For example, my anxiety was worse for a while, and although I was more relaxed, the increase in dosage did make my OCD worse at times. However, if I wasn't taking it today, I don't know if I would be able to type this message. It can really be a lifesaver, and making the depression mild has made it easier to deal with the anxiety, which is very severe.

Good luck with the medication! I would say the best thing to do with side effects is to just wait them out; they tend to dissipate after a period of time. I hope it works out for you. It really did for me, even though I was reluctant to take it in the first place.

Hi Stampysquiddyfan. (btw awesome name!)

Thank you for replying! i'm glad that you didn't experience any nasty side affects, especially with the increase in dosage. Thank you for wishing me luck! apart from on the first night, i've noticed my tummy rumbled a bit, i've pretty much been ok, however my teeth have been grinding a bit but i'm hoping that'll pass. I'm really glad that it has worked out for you and given you , your quality of life back. Thank you for sharing!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 8:40 pm

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thank you for replying! i'm glad that you didn't experience any nasty side affects, especially with the increase in dosage. Thank you for wishing me luck! apart from on the first night, i've noticed my tummy rumbled a bit, i've pretty much been ok, however my teeth have been grinding a bit but i'm hoping that'll pass. I'm really glad that it has worked out for you and given you , your quality of life back. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you! :D

No problem! I am very glad that you have not experienced too many bad side effects from the medication. I hope you continue to have success! You are so welcome!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:00 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

No problem! I am very glad that you have not experienced too many bad side effects from the medication. I hope you continue to have success! You are so welcome!

Thank you! may i ask, how long did it take for the affects to kick in? i'm on day ten now and so far, i don't think it's made much difference, i don't want to speak too soon though.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

I've been off meds for a number of years now but Sertraline definitely helped me a lot in the deepest crisis of depression I've had. I really don't remember having any of the side effects.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 10:42 am

MagicKnight wrote:
I've been off meds for a number of years now but Sertraline definitely helped me a lot in the deepest crisis of depression I've had. I really don't remember having any of the side effects.

Hey MagicKnight,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that Sertraline helped you, and that you didn't have any side affects. I'm so sorry to hear that you went through the deepest crisis of depression. I hope you're now living a happier, healthier and more fulfilled life.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2018, 1:15 pm

MagicKnight wrote:

Hey MagicKnight,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that Sertraline helped you, and that you didn't have any side affects. I'm so sorry to hear that you went through the deepest crisis of depression. I hope you're now living a happier, healthier and more fulfilled life.

Thanks!

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 10:23 am

MagicKnight wrote:
MagicKnight wrote:

Hey MagicKnight,

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Btw did any of you receive any comments or compliments from people, saying that you look or sound or seem happier and more relaxed in yourself? for the past couple of days now, my mum has commented and said that i seem more chilled out and look ad sound generally happier.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2018, 7:17 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thank you! may i ask, how long did it take for the affects to kick in? i'm on day ten now and so far, i don't think it's made much difference, i don't want to speak too soon though.

I didn’t feel my depression get significantly better until maybe a couple weeks-month in. I think it could be even later though, especially for anxiety, which is typically harder to treat.

By the way, people definitely commented on me being much happier and relaxed as well. When the medication started kicking in, I became much less depressed and hopeless and that really had an impact on others around me as well as myself.

Hope you are doing well :D !

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 7:14 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I didn’t feel my depression get significantly better until maybe a couple weeks-month in. I think it could be even later though, especially for anxiety, which is typically harder to treat.

By the way, people definitely commented on me being much happier and relaxed as well. When the medication started kicking in, I became much less depressed and hopeless and that really had an impact on others around me as well as myself.

Hope you are doing well :D !

Sounds like it helped you immensely and others could sense how happier and relaxed you were, that's great! sometimes people notice the affects more then we do.

I'm three weeks in and have dry eyes today, not sure if it's weather related as its warm here or due to the sertreline.

I'm ok thank you

Hope you're well :D

Thanks for the replies. :)

jeremy1069
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2018, 8:59 pm

I'll be blatant and say diarrhea. I was on it for 10 years before it stopped working. I was always having random visits to the washroom. After I stopped taking it, those visits went away. I started again for a few months and the washroom visits returned. Stopped again and they're gone. So I'm pretty certain that was a side effect of the Zoloft. It's different with everybody.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

jeremy1069 wrote:
I'll be blatant and say diarrhea. I was on it for 10 years before it stopped working. I was always having random visits to the washroom. After I stopped taking it, those visits went away. I started again for a few months and the washroom visits returned. Stopped again and they're gone. So I'm pretty certain that was a side effect of the Zoloft. It's different with everybody.

Thanks for sharing! sorry to hear that you got diarrhoea from it,sorry for the late reply. I hate to say it too but i've had a bit of a bad tummy, whilst on it too but it did stop. Apart from sore and dry eyes for one day, haven't experienced much else touch wood. My eyes looked wide for one day, like an alien lol.