Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 2:31 pm

Anyone with a camera and an axe to grind can be an instant YouTube star.

(Although I did learn a lot about axe-grinding, and when to use an oilstone vs. a whetstone.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 2:32 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

If you get the message that it's not allowed in your country due to some agreement or other, I have gotten my share of that message.

yeah , it says "This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." , I can get around it with a proxy but it's annoying

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 3:16 pm

^ Yep, that message is annoying.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 3:37 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

If you get the message that it's not allowed in your country due to some agreement or other, I have gotten my share of that message.

yeah , it says "This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." , I can get around it with a proxy but it's annoying

I hate that too. Or I am able to view a video and then I can't view that video anymore because the person on the channel decided to put a block on it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm

Some of the most popular types of videos are people doing something embarrassing or stupid. I actually can't stand stuff like that, it's a similar problem I have with a lot of tv shows. I feel physically pained when I see embarrassing (or what I think is embarrassing) situations and have to leave the room or fast-forward (maybe because that's what I dread of happening to me in real life?).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

There's a woman who has a vlog about living in her car. Her name is Katie Carney. She's funny.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 7:10 pm

I don't like how it suggests things I want to watch, based on what I have already watched.
So, if I click on a video on social media and it turns out to be something I hate, I automatically get more suggestions of what I hate, and you often don't know you hate it until you click on it because the title is not always descriptive.
This gets annoying when I listen to philosophy lectures at night and the next video happens to be some loud, obnoxious comedian or something.
That's why I rarely watch videos people share unless I know what the subject is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

What annoys me about U Tube?

Glad that you asked.

The amateurish narrators.
Both the bots, and the humans.

These lone people who make these vids out of their basements narrate one of two ways (a) do their own narration, or (b) use some kind of newfangled software that enables an electronic voice to narrate it for them (there is an ap called "Dragon" that turns speech into text. Apparently there is some similar ap that does the opposite. Folks write copy, and then have their computer read their copy and the computer apparently generates an annoying robotic voice to narrate the video from their text.

Both the real humans, and these robot, narrators are as annoying as hell.

The robots sound like robots (or like a person talking on autotune being fed back through auto tune). That on top of the fact that the robots never quite know which syLABble to put the emphasis on. Ugh!

But when these amateurs get on the mic and do it themselves it can be equally horrible. I forgive them for sounding like normal reedy voiced guys who sound like everyone's college room mate, and for not having stentorian voices like Walter Kronkite. But I cant forgive them for the literacy blunders.

For example I watched a vid about missing ships around the world. And the narrator guy tells us that such and such a ship was last seen "off of the cannery Islands". That's how he pronounced it. Like "Cannery Row" (cannery meaning a fish processing plant). The correct pronunciation of the name of the "Canary Islands" is just that- "Canary". The little yellow birds of that name were first discovered on the Canary Islands in the Atlantic and were named after "the Canary Islands" , so both the island and the birds are pronounced the same way. Canary. NOT "cannery".

On another U Tube history vid I heard the young reedy voiced narrator inform us that a certain British commander of the 19th century had been decorated with "the medal of VEIL-lure". I guess that he had been the go to guy for wearing veils! That's why he won the Medal of Veil Lure. Lol! He must have looked very alluring in his veils to earn a medal for veil lure!

Or maybe what he earned was..."the medal of valor" (you know, as in "valient"), and maybe the U Tube narrator was such an illiterate dumb cluck that he didn't recognize the word "valor" in print. :twisted:

How can someone born into an English speaking country reach adulthood without ever hearing the word "valor" ever spoken?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

I don’t go on YouTube too much. I have a Roku streaming device, I have YouTube on there, I cannot sign in, I can sign in on YouTube on my iPad, I must be doing something wrong.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:53 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I don’t go on YouTube too much. I have a Roku streaming device, I have YouTube on there, I cannot sign in, I can sign in on YouTube on my iPad, I must be doing something wrong.

Ask on their boards. They should sort you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 1:40 am

One other thing that annoys me, someone posts the whole movie but it's actually just a link to another website and you have to pay to join it to watch the movie free.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 2:01 am

Mainly just their crappy suggestions of what I might be interested in watching and the garbage that's in the trending section. As for user content, one must be selective.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 5:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
One other thing that annoys me, someone posts the whole movie but it's actually just a link to another website and you have to pay to join it to watch the movie free.

Ah yes, that's what really annoys me on Youtube. It's disappointing too when you don't do online banking like me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 9:24 am

League_Girl wrote:
Yeah, those are annoying!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 9:26 am

Slow speed and buffering
Ugly comments on comments page
Notifications of your favorite video no longer accessible

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 9:31 am

I would say this:

No matter how annoying, You Tube is much better than No You Tube.