Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ShiningStar25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2018, 5:29 am

Has anyone ever got really invested into friendships online? I feel like most of my relationships with people were online but like I still couldn’t even keep those because i’m so awkward ??? :?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 6:14 am

I have, all the time. I have trouble connecting with people, because I can't find anyone with the same interests.

I get very attached to the few friends I have (online and IRL), and it's totally devastating when I am unfriended or they delete their FB accounts.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ShiningStar25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2018, 6:47 am

It’s like totally embarrassing me for too because I get these weird attachments with that person thinking oh maybe we are friends when really I think they must have talked to me out of pity and I have had people say they straight up cant be my friend because I dont understand the same language skills as they do so its like :?

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2018, 3:04 pm

ShiningStar25 wrote:
It’s like totally embarrassing me for too because I get these weird attachments with that person thinking oh maybe we are friends when really I think they must have talked to me out of pity and I have had people say they straight up cant be my friend because I dont understand the same language skills as they do so its like :?

In both IRL and online interactions I can sometimes be perceptive and sometimes be absolutely clueless when it comes to understanding how other people feel and what their intentions are behind speaking to me. I suppose the only way to really know for sure is to try to ask super directly, but for someone socially awkward like me that is near impossible :lol: .

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

What sites do y'all make online friends on? I connect best with people, while playing competitive logic games with them, but, lately, can't find any interesting sites...

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2018, 4:35 pm

I've had quite a few online friends, I even moved halfway across the states to live with one for awhile. I've travelled the country to see other on occasion. I usually find them when I'm playing various online games since we know we have a shared interest it's easy to know if you will like being friends. Generally MMO's are much easier to make friends since it's the basis of the game.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Aug 2018, 8:12 am

I tend to make friends easier online than offline but I have very few online 1s at the moment & go through phases where I have none. I got very invested in some of this friendships & one of them eventually became my 1st girlfriend. Me being too needy is some of what screwed up that realtionship & being needy also screwed up other friendships.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ck990
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2018, 1:40 am

Online friends are not friends. From my perspective they don't even deserve to be called friends because they don't fit the definition of what a friend actually means.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 2:03 am

ck990 wrote:
Online friends are not friends. From my perspective they don't even deserve to be called friends because they don't fit the definition of what a friend actually means.

please elaborate?

ck990
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2018, 3:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
ck990 wrote:

please elaborate?

As I said in the other thread. I have a stricter definition of friendship.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm

Personally I consider online friends the current version of pen pals. I remember writing letters and divulging secrets that I couldn't share with anyone near me since I didn't have that close of a connection. I've moved across the country to live with a pen pal and I've visited several in various places. Communication is more instant but otherwise not much is different in my opinion.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2018, 4:50 pm

No.