Self-affirmation Pledge for those with AS

Page 7 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Unmixed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

ahhh, stretch.. feeling better about thinking about affimation this is what i can say, after being afraid for a long time:

I CAN DO IT. well, at least i will give it my best when i go forward

i have stayed away from affirmations for a long time. this is my best

what do you think about this?

aspergermarried
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2014, 5:00 am

We are.

We should be allowed to be.

We should allow ourselves to be.

We should allow ourselves to be non-NT.

We should allow NT to be NT.

Fayza
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2014, 6:46 am

I will survive.
No matter what.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

aspergermarried wrote:
We are.

We should be allowed to be.

We should allow ourselves to be.

We should allow ourselves to be non-NT.

We should allow NT to be NT.

I like this one a lot!! :D

My own is in similar terms:
"I have the right to be myself.
Everyone has the right to be themselves with freedom and responsability, without opression
As long as I fight for myself I am fighting for this ideal
And making the world a little better place for everyone
And that is why I can't give up ever ever and I won't"

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 9:37 am

I won't be afraid to stand alone.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:41 pm

I can do this.

And get three PhDs and get some badass piano skills on top of my cello ones.

Its a worthwhile goal. Though I think you only really need one PhD and the rest is just how important you continue your research. Sure I can learn a couple extra field's, I can do electrical engineering. Everything else is just child's play in comparison. We have to know quantum mechanics and a bunch of chemistry with ever learning it just for 300 level semiconductor fabrication and semiconductor physics courses. Its really not that bad though. Maybe I am just exaggerating a bit.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:57 am

sunnycat wrote:
Self-affirmation Pledge for those with AS
by Liane Holliday Willey

I am not defective. I am different.

In reality, difference is deficit. I will remember this fact and try very hard not to be angry about it.

Quote:
I will not sacrifice my self-worth for peer acceptance.

I will base my self-worth on peer acceptance. I will not develop an sense of self-worth that might interfere with peer acceptance.

Quote:
I am a good and interesting person.

I must remember to speak very carefully so that others will believe that I am a good and interesting person.

Quote:
I will take pride in myself.

I will behave as if I take pride in myself. I will be neat, clean, quiet, and have a humbly dignified bearing. Being sloppy, dirty, outspoken, or submissively withdrawn attracts attention. That is something I do not wish to do.

Quote:
I am capable of getting along with society.

I am capable of getting along with society. I will work very hard at it, and be greatly comforted by the fact that, with an immense amount of very hard work and great personal sacrifice, I can be not despised by most people. I will take joy in this and not regret or resent what it costs me.

Quote:
I will ask for help when I need it.

I will memorize the correct formulas for asking for help so that asking does not create a bigger problem. I will be humbly grateful for any help I receive, repay it tenfold, and always take advice as soon as it is given.

Quote:
I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance.

I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance only so long as I manage to control and conceal my disease. If I goof up more than very occasionally, I am a person who is worthy only of ridicule and rejection.

Quote:
I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests.

If I cannot do that, I will work a series of menial jobs wherein I allow my boss, coworkers, and clients to abuse and degrade me without saying anything other than, "I am very sorry." I will seek a job with minimal social interaction.

Quote:
I will be patient with those who need time to understand me.

I will be patient with those who need time to understand me, and I will not expect anyone to be patient with me. I will be patient with those who choose not to attempt to understand me. I will weather their condemnation without a word against them or a word in my own defense. I am stone.

Quote:
I am never going to give up on myself.

No matter how badly I fail today, I will get up tomorrow and try again. No matter how much it hurts, I will not stop trying. To do anything else is dishonorable. I will wait quietly and patiently for death to choose its time and come for me, and hold my hope of happiness in Heaven.

Quote:
I will accept myself for who I am.

I will accept myself for who I am-- a defective, worthless, and limited creature. I will not resent this. I will not dream of being or attempt to be anything else, and I will not believe those who, seeing only the shell I put on to make myself acceptable, tell me that I am a wonderful human being. I will not forget what I am, for even a moment, under any circumstances.

SyAn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 3:10 am

When I am down, I will get on with it and try not to bother too many other people.
When I am up, I will try to bring joy to other people in whatever way I can.
When I am gone, I will have tried my very best to make this our world a better place.

digitalb0y
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2014, 9:11 pm

SyAn wrote:
When I am down, I will get on with it and try not to bother too many other people.
When I am up, I will try to bring joy to other people in whatever way I can.
When I am gone, I will have tried my very best to make this our world a better place.

Wow truly awesome.

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 8:56 am

Fedakin: I love every word you wrote. We are in many ways more advanced than NTs. And we do try to improve society. This is how I have always felt. I am glad that I am not alone in these thoughts.

[quote="Fedaykin

People in general are idiots that only look one step ahead and don't really care about the things that are required for future generations to enjoy the gift of a great life the current generations have been given; The caring they display is mostly lip service and isn't aimed at actually achieving the outspoken empathic goal.

Here is where Aspergians shine - we are people that don't compromise with our values, and use our brains to the fullest in finding out the best way to achieve the values we believe in. Even though our main focus is on systems like our societies or the planet, things that everyone is dependent on, we do go beyond lip service if we find that someone needs us and actually try to solve their problems. We strive to understand the world in an unbiased way and don't just accept false beliefs. We do have a tendency to have a defiant anti-mentality, but in time, we contemplate the different ways you can look at an issue and find some focus that requires our attention. We truly care about the things we're studying, and since we don't bother adhering to the nonsense that's in the public debate, we're often labelled "extremists". We also are able to operate as individuals, we don't need a crowd to chant that we're right to state our beliefs.

I think that the first men that ascended from the lower primates must have seen weird like we do and initially have been outcasts - these men probably didn't groom their friends in the same way that we don't bother doing any social grooming.

I feel that this syndrome has been a very important part of collective human intelligence and progress throughout history, and that's the justification for our existence.[/quote]

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 9:13 am

snake321: I do like what you added. "true non-conventional intellectual elite among us who really don't need someone to tell them how to think. Those like us are aspie savants. The aspie savant is the next major phase in evolution...there are us few, proud, aspie savants. " I totally love these ideas. It makes me feel better to think of myself in those terms.

snake321 wrote:
Agreed, but the aspies your describing are the alpha aspies, those true non-conventional intellectual elite among us who really don't need someone to tell them how to think. Those like us are aspie savants. The aspie savant is the next major phase in evolution, people less aspie are stages on the spectrum of this change in evolution, and the low functioning are, unfortunately, the victims of the cycle.
But if you looked at this forum, and blindly thought that a greater majority of people here are aspie, then you wouldn't see too much of a difference from NTs, and it would make aspies look like hypocrites. Some on here are phoney, some are in varying degrees of autism on this spectrum and may not be as aspie as we are (going by the beautiful mind theory), and of coarse some of them might have just been badly affected by their environment. Some are nice and respectful NTs, and occasionally a not-so-respectful NT. But then there are us few, proud, aspie savants. I raise a toast, Fedaykin.

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 9:16 am

ebec11 wrote:
I am beautiful

I am unique

I am a wonderful human being

I am not selfish or horrible person

I am a caring person

This describes me well. Thank you.

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

Loborojo: Lots to agree with here. The parts which most resonate with me:

Loborojo wrote:
I should nt wait for approval by others
I should not care for waht people think of me
But i want to be what I am and dress the way I want and stand out even if it draws attention to me,
I get easily bored with what theya re saying, what I say is so much more interesting,
I should not heed envy or jealousy, but it hurts when people criticise me or badmouth me and it hurts when they misinterpret me
I am proud of my skills in art and languages and verbal expression, thanks to being an aspie and seeing the world in different angle and therfor take stances which are diametrically opposed to NTs usually.
I was born a rebel against mediocracy and half heertedness

It does hurt when people misunderstand you and mistreat you. And I think NT's don't understand how common this is, how often it occurs. It hurts every time.

And then you say that you are PROUD of your skills, and that you are special in the way you see things from a different angle. Those are traits I have come to appreciate in myself.

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

Boomshika wrote:
It is better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not.

(this is my motto because in my school days i tried my damnedest to fit in, only for the true me to show thru with one off move or phrase, and ending up becoming the outcast anyway)

You made me laugh when I read that "Oscar was an Aspie"!

And love your advice from experience. Be yourself, because even when you try to fit in, it never really works. I have learned that the hard way, over many long years....

Oddly enough, as smart as I am, it took me years to understand this particular lesson.

QuantumWriter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2014, 4:57 pm

Lostathome wrote:
My pledge:

I will not be exiled.

I will not be ridiculed.

I will not merely exist as I am supposed to be happy with.

I have a right to a life, a full, happy life, like the normal achieve so easily, and take so much for granted.

And I will have it. No matter what.

Agreed! All of us have been exiled and ridiculed. All of us have lived the life of mediocrity. We deserve better! We are entitled to better!

LupineSnowstorm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

I used to watch Pooh's Grand Adventure when I was younger and this quote always made me smile:
You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.