Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 8:58 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
Mom said that even as an infant, if she or someone else tried to pick me up, I would scream and resist. People other than my parents would be suprised by this, they had never seen this before in a baby. No one though in 1979 knew about tactile defensiveness.

I am so happy to have found somewhere that someone else says tactile defensiveness. I used this term at work the other day and they went What?

Anyway I hate to be touched by anyone I don't know very well and that I don't trust. I am however, a hug junkie for my husband's hugs. The one thing that will often calm me down is his hug. It is like a drug for me. Big issue is that he is extremely well trained to not show emotions and hugging is very uncomfortable for him. We have however, learned to compromise.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

Last edited by yealc on 06 Aug 2005, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 11:29 am

Here's something that helped me become more comfortable with touching.

I've been taking dance classes (partner dancing) for a little less than two years by now. Since you can't dance with someone without touching them, it helped me become really accustomed to "social touching". I still get a little uncomfortable when someone I'm not too familiar with (like a co-worker) touches me, I'm much more comfortable with it now. Maybe it'll work for some of you too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 5:58 pm

I like a nice hug or a pat on the back, but I HATE it when people try to guide my hands. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, watch out!

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2005, 6:51 am

I hate being touched, but only by my mother, strange people that I don't like the aura of, and people I don't like. My mother would keep telling people that I dodn't like anyone to touch me. At all. Ever. Of course when I'd correct her, she'd never listen. :x She would even go so far as to say "What will you do if you ever get a boyfriend?" Well, I have one, and I get bothered if he doesn't touch me.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 12:05 am

Have multiple paradoxical responses to physical contact-sensation feels good but thoughts & emotions feel disturbed. Very particular about small details, aware of many bothersome aspects.
Dx'd w/ Asperger's only recently, but was "normal" affectionate child. As a grownup can finally distance from relatives that I used to be obligated to be affectionate with. Now can decide I want to be physically close with certain friends (they don't dismiss my needs/preferences).

alexj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2005, 1:40 am

I hate unnecessary physical contacts. And in about one hour, I will be in my office where I will have to kiss good morning at least six people, including my boss! This country -France- is obviously the wrongplanet for an aspie :lol: