Lucid Dreaming / Vivid Dreams <-please share your dreams

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:03 pm

I have lucid dreams quite often. I almost always know I'm dreaming; my dreams are too odd to be waking life. If for some reason I actually have to question, I just think about it. For instance, the last one I had to question was about gardening with a friend. Theoretically, it could have happened, but there were a couple of problems that I noticed after a few minutes: the sky was extremely dark (thunderstorms galore), but the rest of the scene was very bright, almost an orange color. Also, I was entirely unsure of when said (long distance( friend got there, and where the heck I was throughout the entire planning proccess - I'm quite sure I would have noticed. I was all ready questioning (ha, I suppose I hoped it was real), but what sealed it was the fox that ran by - I remembered talking about foxes earlier that day, and I often drag elements of waking life into my dreams.

The control I have over my dreams seems to be fairly limited, however. I can take them away from somewhere that I don't want to be, but I usually can't really control where they'll go in leaving. There have been occasions where the dreams went from bad to worse, and by the time it hit worse, I seemed to no longer have control, although I did still realize that I was dreaming.

With a good amount of concentration, I can make my dreams go somewhere where I want to go or do something that I want to do. Usually though that kind of seperates me from the dream... I'm still sleeping and dreaming, but there's almost a tangiable veil in between the dream and me. It becomes fuzzy and abstract; normally I switch to third person viewing. The details are entirely gone. It also seems to shorten the dream; I wake up soon after.

With just as much concentration, I can wake myself up mid-dream. I rarely do that; it leaves me tired and usually unable to get back to sleep. Honestly, I'll only do it in the case of a rather extreme nightmare; only two instances come to mind at the moment.

Then there are dreams that are almost in layers. I can be in multiple places at once, doing multiple things, with completely different intentions and emotions, yet it's still only one dream (as far as I know). They just switch or overlap. I may have control over one of the levels there, but not all of them. (I would post an example, but it's fairly, um, creepy, and this post is long by now anyway...)

There are some, rather rarer occasions when I don't seem to have control over my dreams... Usually, this is because one of two things:
1.) I'm following the old family trait of (honestly) dreaming what will actually happen... Those are getting rarer now (thank goodness); both my mother and my aunt said that they went away completely when they were a little older than I am now. It's not gone yet - last night I realized I was doing exactly what I had dreamed a month before, and it's always a weird feeling... Like deja vu, but it's not.
2.) I don't want control; I'll let some interesting dreams go by themselves.
3.) The part of me (yes, there are parts) that's controlling is not doing such a great job, so the rest of me takes away the right.

Honestly, all of the dreams I can remember have been in color; I've never had a dream (that I can recall) in black and white. I would be interesting in having one, just to see what it's like...

Three years!