Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 11:49 am

There have been two dreams recurrent in my life.
The first: I descend the stairs without touching the steps with my feet. It’s a pleasant dream and it may be interpreted as having a sexual content, given that dreams should be interpreted as having often sexual content, which I have some resistance to admit in my absolute adversity to Freudianism. Anyhow the odd thing is its extraordinary realism. I used to wake up convinced that I really might descend the stairs without touching the steps, in fact flying, so to speak.

The second: much easier to interpret: I am in a house which belongs to my family. Here I have acquired some right over a part of the house: a dependence or a garage or something small but with some physical autonomy. This right is contested by my parents, so fights happen with my parents, In one of these fights I even tell my parents “you are s**t”, which I would never have dared to say to them, both for the profane content and for my inability to really openly put up some fight with them.

Do you have recurrent dreams?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 8:35 pm

I constantly worry about something happening to my cats. After one of these dreams, I run downstairs to check on my cats to see if they're okay.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2007, 7:40 am

I had a recurring nightmare for years that a man with a knife was going to kill me. After it actually almost happened in real life, the nightmares stopped.

So, not all dreams are symbolic. In fact, I don't believe that any of mine are :) .

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 5:11 am

i have had reccurring dreams for years that took place in some place similar to New Orleans...Granted I like New Orleans, and attempted to live there last year...But the New Orleans in the dreams is quite a bit different..

i keep obsessive dream journals.

I also have alot of dreams that are more like movies that I am either in, or watching...or both...often I am aware of a theatre or audience....similarly, I will have dreams in which some manner of large ampitheatre is involoved...

I have kept several notebooks, but I lately have posted alot of my dream logs in a blog that I have....here is an example of a movie dream:

Quote:
Weird dream..sorta like a victorian era movie..there is this family...well actually you find out that the main man and woman are not married....The woman is staying with her brother-in-law, and her sister is dead, her husband is lost at sea and her son is away in a fancy TB asylum. The children belong to the brother in law and dead sister....a teenaged girl, a middle son and a younger girl...
Anywhoo...you can sorta tell that the two main characters really love each other, but out of propriety don't do anything about it...they look and act just like husband and wife, but sleep in seperate rooms....They have a sort of merchant business where they buy lots of things that people bring back on ships and then resell them for higher prices...Thye also make and sell fancy party favors...confetti, broches, fancy party hats etc...Something happens and they end up getting robbed by these guys wh they bought stuff from.....and then something happens and they get all their fortune back....The teenaged girl ends up getting engaged, and the widowed couple do also...and they all end up happily ever after

here is an example of a (somewhat) New Orleansy dream (from a few months ago)

Quote:
the following appeared in my dreams last night

a weird nascar race
these messed up mutant shrimp that had multiple bodies...like they were more like legs...and they were still alive after being cooked, and i decided i couldn't eat them and one of them escaped and started running around the room like crazy..and some guy in the room says something to the effect of ..yep...they don't always die right away when you cook 'em.
Super Happy Fun Land was in building that was more like a mall, but the mall was very strange...these teenagers show up for an early matinee show...they all talk about the need to call their parents and tell them where they are...

and it was in a very strange town that was kinda like New Orleans but more sea-side based...But it must be New Orleans because I am aware that I have a warrant.. I have a female friend/acquaintance who is this artsy girl who helps run another much artsier venue)...It has multiple rooms a piano and a fire place..I tell her that an old band of mine must have played there years ago on a night when it flooded because some sorta floodgate was left open..and then realise this is the second version of that place and the place I had played was just like it but closer to the water. The girl has a friend/ex-boyfriend she followes out the door and down the street to bicker with...and they have this dramatic conversation about their relationship having gone awry and he runs off after a while...we go into another place..like a coffee shop with several different rooms....we hang out and talk for a while in this little nook....there is some old hippie guy who is sorta near us....he apparently tripping very hard...and he has all these weird bowls of herbs in front of him..He says he sees these images on me that are very rare and asks me if I had to fast and meditate for a long time to get that way..of course i don't see what he sees and don't take him very seriously...it was more like elderly hippie tripping on acid pickup lines or something....I talk to the girl for a while..she says the police are planning a raid tonight in the town..like it is a normal thing for the police to randomly come out and arrest people...I get a little nervous..eventually the conversation drifts off..or the girl goes off to talk to other friends and i realise i have been gone a long time without anyone knowing where I am..so i go back to the mall where Super Happy fun land is..in the big open shopping area there is a Pink Floyd the Wall display with a bunch of tv's involved...nothing much seems to be happenning at SHFL...except that there is a weird vignette where Flakey has a girlfriend/wife who is older than he is and they have some sorta arguement over food that causes them to break up...or something.....i forget..the end...

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 1:13 pm

i have had a few of those. I have a lot of water dreams in which i am looking over the ocean and it is teeming with sharks, fish, evil dolphins, and is crystal clear. I am always in a boat or peering over the side. A few times i dreamed i was in the ocean and could breathe underwater. I have a lot of dreams like this.

The night before my father in law died, I dreamed that he had welcomed me into the family. I then had a dream that my husband and his brother were in their parents' home. All the windows were broken out and thousands of birds were flying in and out of the windows and doors. No one could control the birds because there were so many of them. The next day, my father in law died of a fatal heart attack.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 3:56 pm

I have dreams where a dark evil force (like a seething black shape, or a spider, or a black vine) is stalking me. (random abuse by my mother)

And I have another type of dream where I am snowboarding but come to a plateau with roads going off in many directions and I must choose (mid-life crisis)

And another one where I am on a long desperate journey with danger, cliffs, explosions menace the whole way ... I make it but only just and when I get to the end I have lost everything and turned into a tired old soldier who knows nothing but how to grit his teeth and live through the bombshells surviving on scraps everything beyond bare living rendered irrelevant. (my life)

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:36 pm

rideforever wrote:
I make it but only just and when I get to the end I have lost everything and turned into a tired old soldier who knows nothing but how to grit his teeth and live through the bombshells surviving on scraps everything beyond bare living rendered irrelevant. (my life)

Our life I would say

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 7:20 pm

I used to have a recurring dream between the ages of 11 and 23. In the dream, I would be taking a nap in the afternoon. I would wake a find that it was dark. I would panic, knowing that this black, cloaked and hooded thing would emerge from the closet. I would get up from the bed and try to flee the room where I was napping, but the figure would come out of the closet and pursue me. It would catch up to me, and envelope me in the cloak, causing me to suffocate....And then I would wake up. It was until I accidentally learned how to do lucid dreaming that the dream actually stopped for good.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 12:28 am

I used to live in a rooming house where I would have frequent vivd dreams that seemed to take place while I was in my room in bed.
In one sort of dream, my landlord would barge into my room wearing only a towel and then proceed to take the towel off....(i would wake up the great relief that it was only a dream)

In another dream, I would be in my bed and my cat (who got hit by a car while I was living there) would frequently appear across the room and slowly make his way over to me and when he finally got close enough that I could pet him, i would wake up.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 4:10 pm

I have recurring nightmares: in one, I'm watching a plane or planes crash; in another, my teeth are crumbling out of my mouth.

I have a recurring dream that I actually enjoy: I'm in a house and wandering through the roooms and the house keeps going and going, more and more rooms appear, and there's another then another floor as I go up the stairs. As I wander throught the rooms, I find interesting things, like books and stuff, in the cabinets or drawers etc.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 1:42 pm

I have a recurrent dream theme rather than a specific dream. It is more of a nightmare really. There are always spiders involved. They vary in size and ferocity but I am always afraid of them. I understand this symbol to mean (to me personally) an activated mother complex, caused by my very troubled relationship with my mother. I've been working with these dreams for many years and gradually the spiders are getting smaller and less frightening, but they still turn up from time to time to remind me that these things heal very slowly.
I also dream of spiders before I am physically ill, with flu, or a virus of some sort, almost as though the unconscious knows beforehand what will later manifest physically, sometimes a few weeks later, although there is a theory that the complexes can affect the body as well as the mind, which sounds reasonable with the close connection between psyche and soma.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 2:06 pm

I have had a more than troubled relationship with my mother, but I never dream about her, it would be too terrifying.
Lately I dreamed my house territory being menaced. My house was not contested, but plainly disintegrated by bulldozers or something, like the houses of the Palestinians by the Israelis. The difference was that I was inside. Walls were crumbling over me.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:44 am

Maybe you are feeling a little threatened/invaded by the outside world at the moment Paolo? Is it time to strengthen and repair the bubble walls?

It is interesting that you mention sex in dreams, Freud saw so much as sexual. Jung said to him once 'if a dream of a pencil symbolically means a penis, then does dreaming of a penis symbolize a pencil?' lol. It seems ridiculous now that he felt that sexual references had to be 'hidden' but maybe it was the time he was living in. I imagine the mostly rich middle-class ladies who consulted him were rather repressed.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 6:09 am

He, the "great liberator", was repressed as hell, very likely a repressed homosexual, like his enthusiastic follower Thomas Mann. How could he attribute to women such nonsense as the "penis envy"? Why should not men suffer from a "vagina envy"? After all every woman is "default" and not, as the Genesis would have, the other way around. Every man is a byproduct of woman, biologically.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:16 am

Girls have penis envy and boys have castration anxiety, according to Freud in his theory on the Oedipus complex; It asserts that boys, when seeing a girl's genitalia, will falsely assume that the girl had her penis removed, probably as punishment for some misbehavior. The boy then becomes anxious lest the same happen to him. So according to Freud, boys do not get away with growing up anxiety-free either, lol.

I think Freud was certainly a misogynist. Some feminists have initiated "vagina pride", or "p**** pride" as a response to penis envy. But I think this is just as ridiculous as "penis envy". It is the politics of the playground :roll:

I prefer Jung myself. To him, the penis symbolized creativity, and the perpetuation of life (to both men and women) He was not sex-obsessed! :)

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 6:41 pm

Starr wrote:
Girls have penis envy and boys have castration anxiety, according to Freud in his theory on the Oedipus complex; It asserts that boys, when seeing a girl's genitalia, will falsely assume that the girl had her penis removed, probably as punishment for some misbehavior. ...

It seems bizarre to me that anyone would come up with a theory like that, but I recall seeing pictures of Elmer Keith as a 3 - 4 y.o. boy c1900 in dresses, which I expect may have been common at the time. Perhaps in Freud's time young boys were dressed and treated much more similarly to girls :?

PS - IMHO the cartoon character Elmer Fud may be a caricature of Elmer Keith

Last edited by BazzaMcKenzie on 07 Aug 2007, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.