Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 4:35 pm

There's natural bullshi.. i mean natural melatonin pills....... they apparently reduce the time you need to sleep so you get more rest in a smaller time frame... but I don't think they HELP you sleep.

Best way I found is to just go to sleep whenever your tired and never force yourself to try and sleep because chances are you won't.

Michaela115
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2007, 9:01 pm

I feel bad, because I don't have trouble sleeping at all. In fact, I am a very deep sleeper who can't ever wake up!
I remember waking up in the night when I was a child, and feeling sickly and restless, and thinking about things. But I've never had any real sleeping problems.

The only time I have problems getting to sleep is if something exciting is happening the next day...like Christmas (that ALWAYS keeps me awake all night!), or going to Thorpe Park! I vivdly remember a night last year...me, my mum, and my brother were up really late, watching old kids' TV programs that we had recorded on tape. And it was about 02:30 that we went to bed. I lay wide awake for about an hour, really excited about going to Thorpe Park the next day, because it was my first trip of that year, and the new rollercoaster, Stealth, had been built, and it was all I could think about!

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 9:11 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
My body seems to not be on a 24 hour circadian rhythm. So I tend to want to stay up slightly later and my pattern allways shifts forward. Not kept logs but I guess its less than 1 extra hour a day.

That's sounds like me! I never feel tired at the end of a day, it's actually some of my most active times of the day.

I don't have a problem falling asleep. Waking up is the problem... :P

Actually, I seem to naturally wake up refreshed... but I am stupid enough not to just start my day when this happens. No, I relish the opportunity to sleep in a little bit until I actually have to wake up. Never fails, when the time comes to actually wake up... I am dead tired again.

I actually like the feeling of waking up and realizing that I have more time to sleep more than the sleep itself.

I used to set two alarm clocks, one about two hours before I needed to wake up. Another at the actual time I needed to wake up... just to feel that sense. Annoyed the heck out of my family... :D

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 9:12 pm

I'm lucky - most of my sleep problems are avoided by going to bed by midnight (annoying when you're a graphic design student).

However, I'm completely unable to be noctornal. When I tried to work midnight shifts, I discovered no matter the light intensity in the room, or even happy lights, I'm unable to sleep normally in the day. I think I went three months with less than 2 hours a night?

Anyways, my point got kind of lost there. Maybe trying sleeping a different time of day would help,s ince people have their natural rhythms and what not?

Michaela115

31 Jul 2007, 9:21 pm

Pugly wrote:

I used to set two alarm clocks, one about two hours before I needed to wake up. Another at the actual time I needed to wake up... just to feel that sense. Annoyed the heck out of my family... :D

I do something similar. I set my alarm for half an hour before I need to wake up. And when it first goes off, I put it on "snooze", which means every 10 minutes it will go off, and gradually, this wakes me up! It annoys my mum. Especially as I use my mobile for my alarm, and use funny ringtones. Well, it seems that they are funny to me but annoying to everyone else. I had David Tennant, once, from an episode of Doctor Who. He goes "Physics! Physics!..." and says it loads of times, in a funny voice. My mum found it funny when she watched the episode, but found it annoying having to hear it every morning, every 10 minutes!

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 9:26 pm

Michaela115 wrote:
I do something similar. I set my alarm for half an hour before I need to wake up. And when it first goes off, I put it on "snooze", which means every 10 minutes it will go off, and gradually, this wakes me up! It annoys my mum. Especially as I use my mobile for my alarm, and use funny ringtones. Well, it seems that they are funny to me but annoying to everyone else. I had David Tennant, once, from an episode of Doctor Who. He goes "Physics! Physics!..." and says it loads of times, in a funny voice. My mum found it funny when she watched the episode, but found it annoying having to hear it every morning, every 10 minutes!

I do this too.

I've done that for probably 1 maybe 2 hours one day. Just kept on hitting that snooze...

I also use my phone as my alarm clock... I am such a deep sleeper though, I sometimes will not hear the alarm going off.

I remember growing up, I did that alarm in the middle of the night thing. I got used to it, I didn't wake up from the alarm. My Mom, who slept on the opposite side of the house, did. She does not like to be woken in the middle of the night. The solution, she woke me up every morning... meh...worked for me.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

littlefinn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2007, 2:28 am

If I ever fall asleep its always ALWAYS after midnight, usually around 2 and sometimes 3, and then when school starts again I will get like 4-5 hours to sleep.My mane sleeping problem is mostly cause I get very depressed at night time when im going to bed.I dont know why I think I get lonely.And I do think it has something to do with Aspergers before I found out I had It I taught something was wrong with me.

But anyway my tip for better sleep is water, it usually helps me a little, you guys I dont know.

lindarthebard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2007, 4:26 am

Weird....

I had a job for 14 months that was 12:30pm to 9:30pm. Complete blessing.

I have the same problem. Can't get to sleep earlier than 2am. Usually between 3 and 5am and up between 11am and 2pm.

For some reason I CAN'T get to bed early. I can skip sleeping one night and I'll be tired from 11am to 7pm, and then slowly I become more awake, and by the time 11pm rolls around, I'm not tired anymore. If I skip sleep one night, the next day I can fall asleep any time during the day, but not when a normal person would be going to bed. Getting up early for me just -doesn't- happen.

I really wish that people with AS would form their own town so everything can open at 1pm and close at midnight or thereabouts.

Any way to fix this besides drugs?
Meditation? Reverie?

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2007, 5:16 am

Some say if you don't fall asleep within 10 minutes after getting into bed, you have some sleeping issue. I must admit that it usually takes a half hour for me...

A noisy alarm clock plus some discipline about being in bed (and actually trying to sleep) at a specific time, and no napping during the day, enables me to get up at specific times and thus helps in holding down a job.

The thing about having a 25 rather than a 24-hour day is quite explainable: It's a throwback from the times before life went on the dry land; when life was controlled by the rythm of the tide rather than that of the daylight. The tide, being caused by the pull of the Sun as well as the Moon, has a period of roughly 25 hours. And even though the daylight rythm is much more relevant to us now, it's still "stirring" in us: Life was mere bacteriae and other small critters in tidal pools for a few billion years, and only for some dozen million years have we been more daylight-dependant than tide-dependant...

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2007, 12:57 pm

For whoever wanted a non-prescription cure for insomnia, Valerian root and Lavender worked for me for a couple of weeks, but my body must of adapted to it or something because it no longer works, but I would give it a try, it might work longer or perminantly for you.

I've pretty much given up trying to find something to work for me and just adapted to the fact that I'm never going to have a good night sleep, I don't know if it's just that I don't feel safe enough to sleep properly when I do get to sleep (we live in a really bad neighbourhood, Junkies thieves, etc) or because I'm constantle tense, but I'm lucky to fall asleep before two, then good luck getting me up in the morning, if I have to I can get by with 3 or 4 hours sleep. That's the good thing about constantly daydreaming, people can't tell the difference between normal daydreaming and -didn't-get-enough-sleep dreaming!

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 7:13 pm

I've tried many things thanks to battling chronic insomnia for about 24 years now. Nothing has worked for me...but (I hope I'm not speaking too soon), something new I'm trying seems to be having a different affect on me than anything else before.

It's only been one week now since I began taking 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), but so far it seems to be gradually enabling me to sleep better. If you're interested in learning more, here is where I began researching about it.