differences between boys and girls with autism

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 8:37 pm

cruimh_shionnachain wrote:
No intelligent young girl, aspie or no, would do that.

I don't know, some people are quite desperate...

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 9:27 pm

Yupa wrote:
cruimh_shionnachain wrote:
No intelligent young girl, aspie or no, would do that.

I don't know, some people are quite desperate...

Ahem.

Thanks.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 9:31 pm

Question for you two: are the men on the Love and Dating singles list and on aspie affection also unintelligent and desperate? Or just the females?

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 10:29 pm

You know, I imagine there are men out there are quite capable of being genuinely interested in discussions with the women they love and be interested in sex as well.
Relationships are supposed to be about understanding and providing for the needs of each other. You can't have it one way all the time; any such relationship is going to fail. This counts for both sexes.

I don't like seeing needless fear of the worst case scenarios being injected into such a issue.

Now, back to the article. The differences noted are understandable since there are fewer AS girls, however I feel the article does minimize the difficulties of boys.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2007, 10:34 pm

juliekitty wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
you probably couldn't pick 3 girls from this forum over the age of 12, that wanted a boyfriend, and didn't have a boyfriend. HECK, I can't recall ONE!

Hello.

I second that.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2007, 10:51 pm

Zara wrote:
Now, back to the article. The differences noted are understandable since there are fewer AS girls, however I feel the article does minimize the difficulties of boys.

Warning: Rant Ahead

Yeah, because Aspie women/girls get so much attention - no one ever focuses on the Aspie guys... :roll:

Sometimes I get really sick of how the guys on this forum b***h and complain about how the women here have it so much better. What a bunch of bull. Men are allowed to act like teenagers at pretty much any age and most people just find it endearing. Women over college age, on the other hand are seen as social pariahs if they don't magically morph into mature social sophisticates or motherly types by a certain age. I watched as the female friends I had growing up changed into mommies while I still felt like a 12 year old boy, that's when I really knew something wasn't "normal" about me.

Everything I've been able to find about Asperger's has focused on males. It's like finding the holy grail to actually read something that talks about females with AS and how it affects them

If you ask me, it's about damn time someone started to focus on us.

Last edited by Spot17 on 08 Aug 2007, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myczarina
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2007, 10:52 pm

Okay, I am NOT looking for a date or a boy friend, but I simply wanted to post a reply to say, yes I am an aspie and yes I am single. I have been (happily) for five years. Before that I hung out with one guy off and on for a couple years but nothing significant came of it, and I had "relations" with another guy very briefly that ended abruptly (thank goodness, he was a loser!).
Enough said.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 11:02 pm

Spot17 wrote:
Zara wrote:

Yeah, because Aspie women/girls get so much attention - no one ever focuses on the Aspie guys... :roll:

Sometimes I get really sick of how the guys on this forum b***h and complain about how the women here have it so much better. What a bunch of bull. Men are allowed to act like teenagers at pretty much any age and most people just find it endearing. Women over college age, on the other hand are seen as social pariahs if they don't magically morph into mature social sophisticates or motherly types by a certain age. I watched as the female friends I had growing up changed into mommies while I still felt like a 12 year old boy, that's when I really knew something wasn't "normal" about me.

Everything I've been able to find about Asperger's has focused on males. It's like finding the holy grail to actually read something that talks about females with AS and how it affects them

That was not what I meant. I'm just stating that the article minimizes those difficulties for boys a bit too much IMO. I know well enough that girls have their own unique problems. I'm not saying that they have it easier, but I don't like it going off the other way with giving the impression that the guys have it easy. They don't either.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2007, 11:10 pm

Zara wrote:
That was not what I meant. I'm just stating that the article minimizes those difficulties for boys a bit too much IMO. I know well enough that girls have their own unique problems. I'm not saying that they have it easier, but I don't like it going off the other way with giving the impression that the guys have it easy. They don't either.

To be honest, I didn't think you meant that. I just felt like ranting and this thread is where it happened to come out.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 11:13 pm

Spot17 wrote:
Zara wrote:

To be honest, I didn't think you meant that. I just felt like ranting and this thread is where it happened to come out.

Oh, ok. Well cheers then. :P

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2007, 5:30 am

Spot17 wrote:
Zara wrote:

I agree 100% with you, maybe even 200%! !!

Men in general have it easier because society is more focused on men as it is. A man with AS traits is seen as love-shy and cute, the strong silent type, that motherly women fall for and there are plenty motherly women out there. I know because many of the male AS peopleI know are married and have kids.

A woman with AS will never be seen as the strong silent type (that is not feminine) and no motherly type of man (the few that exists) will be prepared to have kids and care for them for us.

In other words a woman because of the physiology or our bodies (made to have babies and care for them) and because society places us in a lower step than it does with men, have it worst off. Yes, guys I know you have it bad, but if you were women you would have it worst off. That is a simple fact.

Society is tolerant of soft, silent, withdrawn men, but NOT for strong, tomboyinsh, male-brained, women. A sigle woman in her 40s or above is seen as a woman no one wants to marry, while a single man of the same age is seen as someone who chose to enjoy freedom and bechelorhood.

The way a male-brain woman is seen is either as a b***h, or a female with balls (very hurtfull), or a dyke (even if she not a lesbian), or a bossy woman, or a witch, or whatever other highly disciminating and diminishing word.

A man with a male-brain is seen as workacholic, ambitious, strong-willed, arrogant (which for men is a positive thing because it means one is cool), etc. In other words the image of a man seems to always come down to positive words.

Why is that? Why girls have to choose to trasform into a protective, nurishing, mother or wife, and embrace their feminity, or become a working business woman that means they have to renounce their feminity and become a 'male' to be successful, while men can be all (father, husband, businessman) without having to denounce their masculinity?

Why is a woman only a proper woman when she embraces the role of a mother, wife, or daughter who cares for her parents? But if she wants to use her male-brain and is ambitious, strong-willed, a fighter, etc. is seen as sort of monster that has lost its gender?

A man is man no matter how he acts how he behaves what he does. If he is a good father it is seen as positive thing while if a woman is a good businessman and ambitious it seen as a bad thing.

Is that fair? Nope! Society is not fair to women and even LESS fair to AS women. We are always dealt the worst hand no matter what.

Star

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 7:26 am

A little femininity always hurts. It actually physically hurts me to be more femiminine than I can handle. It makes my bones, muscles and genitals ache. If a person looks at me from a distance, they think I'm a man, and I take that as a compliment. :twisted:

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 11:47 am

I don't know what society the Netherlands is like, but as one of those strong, silent, introverted guys, I am hardly ever respected for being that way. It's the loud-mouthed, show-offs who get the respect regardless if they're actually productive or not.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Aug 2007, 12:13 pm

i think women with AS should have there own diagnostic category since they feel so left out. i mean really, want a special place here yah go :wink:

it all evens out in the end if you ask me, so if you feel left out your probably just wasing your energy.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 12:45 pm

My personal opinion is that Aspie girls have it much easier in the dating world than Aspie guys, for several reasons. For one, often the shy bookworm type is very attractive to guys. For another, because of societal norms, guys are the ones that are supposed to "make the move" - and thereby need to know when/how to do so, and this is where Aspie males get hung up. Oftentimes the girl just has to say yes to the advance.

18:33. Press 'Return'

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2007, 1:46 pm

LKL wrote:
The article seemed to imply that girls are worse off than boys with Aspergers, but I suspect that girls have to be worse off for them to be diagnosed. The old theory that Autism/Aspergers is an 'extreme male' brain would tend to exclude the diagnosis of any woman or girl who had a spectrum of symptoms that did not keep her from also exhibiting personality traits seen as 'female.'
I think you have a very valid point there.