If you knew you only had 4-5 years left to live ....

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:06 pm

Sheila says she would make a list of everything she would like to do before she dies, and cross them off as they are done.

Like driving thru Paris in a convertable, sail in the Whitsundays, etc.

While that's nice, I don't really want a goal to do "things", but would want to see my kids into adulthood and set them a good example, which I think would mean continuing to work (protestant work ethic - lol). Other than spending more time with them, I don't think I would do things much differently. I think that's a bit sad, because I think my life is far from perfect.

:?

What would you do?

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 7:39 pm

There's someone I'd want to reconcile my differences with. Other than that... lots of places in the world I still want to see. And do something that'd make sure nobody ever forgot me. Create a photographic masterpiece. In fact... produce a portfolio of work based around my death. All the way up to my final moments - compose the final shots in a sketchbook, for someone else to take. Leave it to my family or friends to get it published, call it "When I was dead", or something like that. Split any profits between the people who helped me achieve it, whoever cared for me when I was dying, and the photography departments at my College and Uni.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 9:02 pm

my first feeling would be of intense relief! How wonderful to finally relax and not have to strive to always feed and clothe myself, to not have to come up with the rent and taxes and transportation. . .I already did my 9th step and got all my amends out of my way long time ago, and all of those people are dead and gone. My 'estate' all goes to the local cat foundling home anyway. There is no one to remember me after I am gone. I never got the knack.

I would probably cash in every thing I had and take a one way flight to Hawai'i and live on the beach like I did in my youth. Get tan and shriveled up and run around in a tee shirt and thong. and flip flops. . I have never been comfortable in foot wear that made sounds, but I would flip flop all over Lahaina. . .become a local character. Sleep in the cane fields with a bee-bee gun to shoot off the rats and mongooses. Dodge the police and the kaivai thorns, eat deep sea fish steaks from the marina that they divvy up after the photos are taken when the sport fishers come in at night. smoke lots of pakalolo! drink green coconut fizzy milk and spoon the flesh out of them like ice cream. . .and die on the beach to the pounding of the surf, the heartbeat of the world.

but in your's I feel sure.
Rhymin' Simon

Last edited by sinsboldly on 06 Aug 2007, 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 9:52 pm

I can tell you exactly what I would do because I am in a position where I know that I may become ill enough to pass away at any time. I faced it for the first time when I was 26 year old and thankfully I am still here. But I now know not to take it for granted.

I found that after all was said and done, I chose to do what you said Bazza. I spend my time with the people that I love doing the day to day things that I know they will remember. I have taught my children things that most parents overlook, housework comes second to people and pets and I take things one day at a time. I don't sweat the small stuff and am happy that I wake up in my own house with my family every morning.
I always thought that I would want to travel and cut loose, but when it comes right down to it, it is the memories that I can make for my family, friends and other people whose lives I touch that is really important.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 2:30 am

Four to five years eh? Well, I'm not sure if the money would last that long but...

I'd sell our house (I'm sure hubbo wouldn't mind, lol. Actually, I think he would probably like to do this too) then with the money I would travel all around europe visiting all the art galleries, seeing all the sculptures, getting a flavour of the cities, Paris, Athens, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Rome...I would end my tour in Florence and spend my last days in the Uffizi, amongst the works of Botticelli. Ah, *sigh* the romance of it all...

In reality I'd make sure my step-kids were OK financially, and of course, say goodbye to people I love. But on my last day on planet earth I would dream of art, poetry, the things that have meant so much to me during my lifetime.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:35 am

I guess if I was positive that i only had that much time to live, I'd sell my house and get a small RV and travel.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:57 am

I've no idea what I'd do because it's a hypothetical situation.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 8:09 am

Pandora wrote:
I've no idea what I'd do because it's a hypothetical situation.

I have found that life is a hypothetical situation. . .

Merle

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:16 am

Years I would freak out weeks I would sort of be ok with it. I'd figure out what I'd do when it happens.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Aug 2007, 10:44 am

I do not know but the real purpose of the question really is you should be living like you have a short time to live.

I was deeply shaken by the quote I saw painted on the wall of a building in a movie. Not sure the original source. But it goes something like this "Life is what happens while your waiting for something better to happen"

The problem is getting onto a path of a "richer" life is all but impossible. Myself and I have talk to others who have claimed they would trade their present lives for a more successful one that is burning the candle on both ends for a few years of glory in exchange for a long boring pointless life.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:46 pm

5 years to go, off on a world tour to see all the places I've liked in the past and all the new places I've always wanted to visit.

4 years to go, work my way through my bookshelf. I've a couple of hundred books in there and they vary from science fiction to a book about the Medici.

3 years to go, time for some dangerous sports. Start with parachute jumping and bungee jumping than end with the really scary stuff like base jumping.

2 years to go, hit the credit cards. I want to go out with a set of credit card bills with sums due that will read like telephone numbers. These guys have been sending me offers to sign up for their cards for years so it's about time they saw the error of their ways. After I've finished buying what I want I'll carry on drawing money out of the accounts as cash advances then give the money to charity.

1 year to go, write LOTS of letters. Some of them will be nice letters sent to people who have been an inspiration to me or they've helped me through life. Other letters however will tell the as*holes of the world exactly what I think of them.

0 years to go. Well, if there really is an afterlife I'll report back.

Ed Almos

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 5:33 pm

It's certainly a thought-provoking question.I like your list Edal,that seems like a
good plan.Places I'd make sure I visit are the big waterfalls like Niagara and
Victoria.I believe in an afterlife,but conversely I think it has a dampening effect
on my motivation to 'get things done' in this life.This year I've had 2 family
bereavements and it's made me realise that we should really try to make the best of what we've got while we can.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:40 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
I do not know but the real purpose of the question really is you should be living like you have a short time to live.

I was deeply shaken by the quote I saw painted on the wall of a building in a movie. Not sure the original source. But it goes something like this "Life is what happens while your waiting for something better to happen"

The problem is getting onto a path of a "richer" life is all but impossible. Myself and I have talk to others who have claimed they would trade their present lives for a more successful one that is burning the candle on both ends for a few years of glory in exchange for a long boring pointless life.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy" English singer & songwriter (1940 - 1980)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:58 pm

Go to London and meet Roger Bannister

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 9:03 pm

Make sure all my enemies hit their graves before I do. :D

I think the question is flawed. When it is first asked, most people might think, "Oh, that's not a long time. I'd better get started doing what I want to do." And then, before you know it, you've accomplished everything you set out to do in six months, and then you've got four and a half years of sitting around waiting to die.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:33 pm

werbert wrote:
Make sure all my enemies hit their graves before I do. :D

I think the question is flawed. When it is first asked, most people might think, "Oh, that's not a long time. I'd better get started doing what I want to do." And then, before you know it, you've accomplished everything you set out to do in six months, and then you've got four and a half years of sitting around waiting to die.

rather than waiting for God for the twenty-thirty plus years . . .