Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 9:10 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 1:25 am

I agree...

We really should do something about the homeless...

Most of them didn't really do anything wrong... just got screwed over one too many times and lost everything...

I figure they should be allowed to erect tents in abandoned parts of the city...

The law of the briny deep states that if you can salvage something like a resource or a tool from the bottom of the ocean... it's legally yours...

If you can salvage something that is useless or unreachable to the rest of humanity... it's yours...

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 1:53 am

You would have to be extremely careful to avoid ending up with squatter villages full of drunks and junkies. Such tent colonies would need to be liscensed (for free) to those who can pass regular drug tests and closely regulated to avoid having even bigger problems.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 9:39 am

I was reading the local newspaper about a week or so ago and there was an article talking about all the homeless people. Some cities are starting programs where they can work by picking up trash and other jobs and the city will pay them so they can buy food and clothes. There are also regulations, like having to show up for their assigned work on time, to be sober and really desire to work, and to wear the uniform they're given. I think it's a good idea, but a long way from perfection.

What I would like to see is less expensive living that homeless people would be able to pay for from the extra money (which isn't much after buying clothes and food) they earn from doing city jobs that no one else really wants to do. There should be strict regulations on this housing, as well as the jobs, because otherwise it could become a very unpleasant place and not much better than the shelters or the streets.

Like I said, it's progress, but it's a long way from where we should be. It is extremely unfortunate that many homeless people didn't do anything wrong, and a lot of them are just nice people who should be able to find work but can't.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2005, 11:31 am

Deleted

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 12:06 am

Hmmm. I spent most of my homeless time in a tent. I didn't pay a lot of attention to whether or not there was a law approving it, *but* we were extremely cautious when chooisng a well hidden site and being seen going to and from it. We took care to camoflauge the area as well as we could. Setting up a tent in any bare piece of land just isn't viable...not only would you feel very vulnerable, but it would get vandalized when unoccupied (and this is often, considering the amount of footwork (or bicycle work) necessary to find work, go to job service, get a meal at the soup kitchen, research at library, etc etc....we used to lock the zipper on ours, but once we left it unattended for a few day and someone had simply slashed through the sidewall in their greed (the tent was basically empty to begin with).

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 2:51 am

AntiEverything wrote:
It was a bad time - the '70s - when positive discrimination towards women was unjust to men.

Things haven't changed. If you're a male living in the UK and intend having kids, do not get married. Soon as you do, it's equivalent to signing over your house to your wife, and handing a blank cheque to the legal profession.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 5:44 am

Deleted

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 10:08 am

Yes, things are still very unfair, Antieverything. Especially when the legal profession do all they can to antagonise the two sides. Also, it can be very difficult for people like us, with AS, to see what people are really like. That makes the situation even more dangerous. With my ex-wife, I really had no idea what she was up to. Then we sat down one day, and she seemed a little off, and I asked her what was wrong. She seemed very surprised that I didn't know she'd been off with some other bloke.

Anyway, never get married(live in sin) and never trust a lawyer. ascan's tip of the day!

Read and digest; slightly dated, but relevant:

http://www.ukmm.org.uk/publics/mandf/booklet.htm#Outline