Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 2:11 pm

“To an animal lover, it seems obvious that the presence of an animal would encourage healing. We feel a sense of comfort and calm as we stroke the soft fur of a quiet cat or feel the gentle nudge of a dog's nose.” There is on the web a great quantity of material discussing the therapeutic value of animals. But does it need some ponderous research to know this? Every old man or woman, abandoned by relatives, without friends and deprived of the warmth of any companionships, gets a cat o a dog and thrives on their sure affection. A dolphin would also be of much help, but unpractical and costly.

“Alien”, yes a fable, but save a woman and the cat, for God’s sake!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 7:50 pm

Everyone who has had pets knows how they help us. The best research one can do is to be owned by a cat, or two-or nine!

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 11:50 pm

The post was motovated by my present experience of having nearly every day a little dog resting on my lap for an hour o two. She is not my dog so sometime she is not here and I miss her acutely, I suffer from withdrowal symptoms, have to take some xanax on invent something.
Then I have more theoretic explanations. I wan't go into these. But having seen again "Alien" by Ridley Scott I liked much the finale. All this costly trap of the spaceship, shipped for some demented mission, being at last disposed of, if all goes well, in exchange for the life of a young woman and a cat. Oh, the cat, what a relief among all these paraphernalia of technology! And the womb of the young woman! Will these two thing be saved? I want to believe it.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 12:27 am

is it possible for you to have a pet? if it's not a problem for travel or work (dogs shouldn't really be left on their own all day). maybe fish or a bird.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 12:40 pm

I read in Temple Grandin's book Animals in Translation that a calming chemical is released in your brain as you stroke a cat or dogs fur. NT's get a chemical released in their brains when they socialize with other people. That is why they like it so much.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 1:44 pm

I know this statement, put so simply, is very likely to excite heated reactions or be scoffed at as a manifestation of my going dement or mad. But the statement must be taken as a sort of shorthand. The statement is this: Life resides in its tentative manifestation through the efforts of the oak and the albatross, of all animal and vegetal forms unadulteraded by man, who is only a devious and stray road taken by the vital stream. I cannot put this in a more articulated way for now.
Spaceships, stealths, OGMs, airbuses and what not are tragic mistakes. I can even quote the Bible for once: the book of Job. "who hath loosed the bands of the wild ass? Whose house I have made the wilderness, and the barren land his dwellings." (KJV)

I love cats and today I miss my little dog (even if dogs are a little adulterated by man, as all domesticated animals) whom today I could not see and caress and be licked by.