Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

darkfire627
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2007, 12:00 am

Has anyone used this, and if so was it helpful? I'm supposed to start with it in October. I think they're supposed to help me decide what kind of job I'd like and would be good at, and help some(I think) with finding said job. Also, I think they can train me in any necessary skills.

Corwin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2007, 9:40 pm

YES NO

Yes, I tried to use Vocational Rehabilitation. THEY used ME, so I have to say that it was not helpful.

The state put me in a "sheltered workshop" where the staff examined me and wrote a report on my interactions and the quality of my work at menial tasks.

I did fine. But the state did not find me a job, or appear to even try.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Sep 2007, 9:09 pm

Im shure there are good VR places but not in flagstaff. it was terrible, when i first went i met with a casemanager for about 2-3 months once a week before i actually did any "job" after that i went into a program called job placement, i worked 4 days a week and two hours each day making $6 an hour. my paychecks every month after taxes were about $200. the lady i had was sitting on 20+ years with the state and was more intrested in retiring than helping me. she wasnt at all intrested in helping me make a living wage, i guess she thought i could live with my mom for the rest of my life because why would i want to be independent? like everyone one else? anyways i got fed the f-up with that biiotch, Quit went back a few months later and she just gave me a harder tme than before. so i said f-it and left for the last time... let me tell you something, the state isnt intrested in helping you, there intrested into making you "able" to work as much as possible so they can get more outof you than there investing into you. taxes.

if you really have had a positive experiance with VR go for it, if you havent i wouldnt even waste my time with those suckers

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:10 am

First time I went I stopped going due to personal issues... But, currently I am doing good in VR. I am in training now and after that will be placed in a state job. Yes, it is going to be some data entry job, but thats better then what I have done before. Plus from what I hear of the state once you get off probation you are an employee for life. So I really like to job security part. Of course I will have to put up with the temp/seasonal crap, but hopefully it will pay off and I will land something full time eventually. All I can say is be patient cause it takes a while. I am hoping it will all be worth it... It has to be.

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2007, 2:48 pm

I am working with them, even though I am a grad student at the moment. Right now, I'm not actively seeking employment, but there are certainly warning signs that make me wonder about whether I'll be able to get and keep a "real" job once I do graduate. Not to mention that I haven't got a clue what I want that real job to be.

Currently, I'm doing a neuropsych eval at the state's expense. So if nothing else, I'm getting a whole lot of expensive testing for free. I'm also hoping that they might be able to help me with funding or finding funding for my service dog.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 2:04 pm

Yes my "Job Coach" got me my current job as a pumicer. I hardly had to do anything to obtain this job.