Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bolle47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2007, 11:59 am

For me this hard. I have a great driving teacher and he is very patient and tries to help me from getting overloads.
He tells that I sometimes looks through a straw and I completely agree. I might miss a road sign or something else
of importance and then there's trouble. If make a mistake i get very nervous and then I make more mistakes.

how is it for you? or how was it?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2007, 12:52 pm

I still haven't learned to drive but my sister did, and she was a total wreck and flunked once, then passed on the second try. She was nervous for the first year. After that, she started driving like an old timer. You too, will drive like an old timer. Just keep driving. :D

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:16 pm

I was slow to catching on to driving. I would make small mistakes all the time, mainly because I am horrible with verbal instructions. I've gotten better at it, and I hope to get my liscense soon. Just keep practicing, it really does get easier with practice. Good Luck!

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2007, 1:30 pm

I got my Driver License without too much trouble, but driving tends to be a real challenge for me. I don't drive often any more, but when I had to for work, I used to get extreme anxiety every time I saw a police car. I had been treated very badly by police officers in several different situations, and that was probably a lot of what triggered the anxiety. But, the anxiety got so bad that often when I saw a police car around me, I would be unable to drive normally enough to avoid getting pulled over! 8O

Now I tend to be nervous about other drivers making stupid moves when I'm on the road. Other drivers have put me in danger many times. I tend to be an overly cautious driver and make a lot of right turns rather than crossing traffic to make left turns if it can be avoided. My son makes the driving challenges a thousand times worse by screaming a lot in the car, slamming things, throwing things, climbing out of his car set, trying to escape from the car or pull on the parking brake or climb all over me when I'm trying to drive, etc. Needless to say, I now longer drive much unless I really have to get somewhere. :?

Oh! Another big problem that I used to have was getting hopelessly lost while driving somewhere that I had driven to hundreds of times previously. That does not happen to me anymore. I think it had something to do with the mental overload from a crazy work day and then having to rush after work to be somewhere else for another obligation. I don't put myself through that any more. I work at home at my own pace and no longer participate in any extra activities.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 2:06 pm

You've got to fight against overloads! I don't know where you are, but in the US and Europe at least, people really don't care. You may have to track 6 things at once, and be agressive. One wrong move and well.... I have a 1 million dollar policy JUST in case, because that is apparently the maximum liability I can have for a car accident. Luckily, I haven't even SCRATCHED a car in the 7 years I have had this policy.

If you can't fight the overloads, you should probably try harder or give up.

As for the through the straw syndrome, HOPEFULLY your peripheral vision is good, and it will go away eventually. I had the SAME problem. BTW YEP! I had the meltdown type problem also, but my mother is NEUROTIC, so I had to REALLY learn to fight. BTW I estimate it is 3 to 5 times as hard to drive a car with my mother in it.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2007, 2:40 pm

I have had my licsence since I was 17, or 8 years (tho I lost it breifly for a year). I must say I did ok, I cant drive very well when their is a ton going on around me (namly city driving) so I avoid that. Also, I cant have many people in my car as they are a distraction, weather it be their fault or not. It does take practice, just stay dilligent and avoid areas where you may be distracted. Some of us have a harder time dealing with distraction then others. Just drive as safely as you can, even if you are a few miles under the speed limit dont even worry about other cars and what they may think. As for the police... well, I think everybody gets a bit nervous around them, but if you have not done anything wrong then why worry? If they pull you over just cooperate and personally police dont bother me I always drive the speed limit and try to maintain safety on the road.

I drive almost an hour to work and back every day, and on weekends im usually out and about, so I put about 400+ miles on my car every week, I have plenty of practice. Good luck, be safe!

Bolle47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2007, 3:13 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, and good luck to you Claradoon with your own driving license.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 4:10 pm

I have always been OK with driving but what always threw me were driving examiners when I took my test. These guys always made me nervous and I ended up making silly mistakes such as indicating right then turning left. I ended up signing on with a local driving school then having eight mock tests with eight different driving tutors, I then sailed through my test with no problems.

Ed Almos

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 4:18 pm

I grew up in the country and practiced driving in various deserted places, like the backyard, an airport parking lot (unused airport) and the mountains. My dad tried to teach me, but I got too nervous so my mom took over. I couldn't master the manual so they bought me a 2-speed automatic (low and hi).
I took my driver's test at 17 1/2, so I probably had 2 1/2 years of practice in rural and suburban settings. The test administrator obsessed over my weird car (low and hi gears) and didn't really scrutinize my driving and I passed. I was not allowed to drive with passengers for about 6 months afterwards.

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2007, 4:21 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
As for the police... well, I think everybody gets a bit nervous around them, but if you have not done anything wrong then why worry?

Because I had several incidents where police officers caused me MAJOR trouble when I had done absolutely nothing wrong. I have not had a single problem though now since 1998.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 5:42 pm

Taking the test was simple, its only a question of logic. Getting used to driving was easy since my instructor gave a lot of useful hints when I was driving her. At first I wasnt sure how to stay on my section of the road without looking like I was a drunkard. I was all over the place. Then she said, just look on the road directly in front of you. That one suggestion did wonders. If what I said made any sense at all Im horrible at explaining things ><

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2007, 9:13 pm

I went for a divers avaluation and they had me drive on the actual road. I was SO FREAKED OUT! Like if I was on a battle field and the war was going on. To me it felt like a life or death situation.

So I guess it's going to take me time until I get my driver's Lisence (sorry about the spelling).

_Eric ;)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 6:25 pm

I am 32 and don't have a liscense, despite having taken adult drivers ed, and numerous friends down the line who have tried to teach me.
I make too many careless mistakes behind the wheel..lack the confidance etc....

sucks

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 6:55 pm

Technically I never passed my drivers license exam and the way they gave me my license was illegal. You are only allowed to take the test once per day, and after three failures you have to retake the written exam. After I took the test the third time, the man said "wait here" and had the guy who takes your photo ride around the block with me. I didn't have to parallel park, or do anything such as that. The photo guy then signed me off on my license. Apparently while that was going on the real examiner told my mom they were giving me my license but to not let me drive by myself for something like three months.

To this day, I believe they gave it to me largely because the examiner never wanted to get back in the car with me (and he had seen that I was significantly worse the second time I was with him). I almost killed us the second time, but that was my mom's fault. She told me I wouldn't pass if I slowed down at all while making a turn, so I attempted to turn at 45 mph. I did hit the brakes though when the examiner was screaming "Stop!! Trees, STOP!! !"

However, that was 9 years, I'm an okay driver, and the only accident I've been in was entirely the fault of the other person.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 7:00 pm

I should have my driver's liscense by the end of the year, although I was supposed to get it two years ago (Thanks, Mom, for letting my permit expire...). But I have passed the written exam so all I need to do is practice driving a bit more, which I find pretty easy.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 7:34 pm

I actually learned to drive quite well, but failed the behind the wheel test because I got too nervous. The irony is, I learned to drive better than most of the people who are on the road. I am going to get serious about getting my license again, but I am worried because there are a lot of bad drivers where I live.