Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 9:48 pm

Hi Jim. I have since seen a documentary about high-functioning Aspies but the thing was although they werent mentally ret*d they didnt seem that high functioning to me and wont likely lead independant lifes but on here there is aspies that live life with good jobs, social lifes and kids etc and see Asperger's as a gift. I have no problem looking after myself but it has disabled at least somewhat. Thanks for your perspective. It must be a wide-ranging condition.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 6:54 am

I don't know how common this is, but at least one other person I know with a similar condition to me says that they can cope fine one day and not too well the next.

I often need (but don't so often get) help with making phone calls asking for help because of a real fear of talking on the phone and getting emotionally out of control if the call goes wrong.

In recent times, with the help of another couple of ladies, I've started up an adult autism group in my city, but just the other night I ended up sitting in a corner and howling. There was stress and confusion and I thought my special friend in the group was going without saying goodbye because someone else wanted to talk to him privately about something.

Luckily, he came back and had a little talk with me for a while.

At work, I've been feeling the same way about little things that go wrong. Even the most high functioning of us have trouble coping with things that other people probably just take for granted.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2005, 7:12 am

I think he is portayed a bit too stupid in some parts of the book. If i wasn't autistic myself, I would have viewed him as even more stupid, but I get that he is logical and i can relate to everything he does. I love how the book is written like a book within a book and it oculd sort of have been written by an autistic/aspie 15 year old boy, if he wasnt so non-existant and fictional....

I would have felt so much more comfortable if this book had actually been written by a real autistic boy, but someone must have inspired the character and maybe they should get all the credit and the money instead of the author? I would be pissed if someone made a book based on me...:(

23 Sep 2005, 2:21 pm

What is the basic difference between HFA and AS? My son was dx HFA ,because of a language delay caused primarily by constant ear infections, but the doctor that dx him told me to look into literature re AS.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 2:54 pm

Welcome Guest.

This is a pretty good article on the difference between HFA and AS.
http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/autism/aspergers.html

BeeBee