Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 11:12 pm

No one made a thread about this so I just figured I would. What do you think about it?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 11:43 pm

In order to get the candidate with just the right poll numbers, an actor that can play the part steps up to take the role. It matters little if he believes the sentiments, as long as he can make us believe he believes it.

Personally I don't think he has the grit for unscripted remarks, but I suppose we will all see anon. His wife, Jeri used to be a GOP analyst and it looks like there has been a large shake up due to her managing of Fred Thompsons campaign staff. Marlie Matlin is backing Fred and that is always fun.

So far he seems a big yawn, but who knows. . maybe he is going to give Barak Obama a run for his money!

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 1:27 pm

humm. . .
just something I read to day by Steve Benin

Not ready for prime time
Earlier this week, former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer said it's not too late for Fred Thompson to compete for the GOP nomination, but to make up for lost time, the former senator must demonstrate "a command over policy issues." Fleischer added, "He's got to knock the policy questions out of the park."

So much for that idea.

Freshly minted GOP White House hopeful Fred Thompson puzzled Iowans yesterday by insisting an Al Qaeda smoking ban was one reason freedom-loving Iraqis bolted to the U.S. side.

"They said, 'You gotta quit smoking,'" Thompson explained to a questioner asking about progress in Iraq during a town hall-style meeting. [...]

Thompson's tale of a smokers' revolt baffled some in the audience of about 150 who came to decide whether the former Tennessee senator is ready for prime time.

"I don't know what that was about," said Jim Moran, 72, who had driven from nearby McCook Lake, S.D.

Thompson's been getting a lot of that lately.

In just the last couple of days, Thompson has had trouble explaining his position on Social Security; dismissed the significance of Osama bin Laden, describing him as "more symbolism than anything else"; said he believes "we better figure out a way" to combat al Qaeda (not that he necessarily knows how), and proposed a bizarre constitutional amendment on gay marriage, arguing that "zero" state legislatures "have affirmatively approved gay marriage," a claim that happens to be wrong.

No wonder this guy is ducking debates; he's nowhere near ready for prime time.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 2:27 pm

Wow, it looks like a lot of people don't seem to care about politics. 1 person responds.

I'll just say what I know about him. I'm not sure about him. He served on the advisory board of the legal defense fund for Scooter Libby. I've heard that the late declaration may have been a ploy to keep from declaring his campaign contributions. Problem is, I don't see any of the candidates I like getting a nomination from either party.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 2:41 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
Wow, it looks like a lot of people don't seem to care about politics. 1 person responds.

I'll just say what I know about him. I'm not sure about him. He served on the advisory board of the legal defense fund for Scooter Libby. I've heard that the late declaration may have been a ploy to keep from declaring his campaign contributions. Problem is, I don't see any of the candidates I like getting a nomination from either party.

most people are so polarized into two different camps . . .

and sore because they really don't have anyone they actually want to see leading this country, Goatie. .

and it is just knee jerk reaction so often. Nice to see someone else that is interested to discuss.

Merle

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 2:46 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
most people are so polarized into two different camps . . .

and sore because they really don't have anyone they actually want to see leading this country, Goatie. .

and it is just knee jerk reaction so often. Nice to see someone else that is interested to discuss.

Merle

I know. It's frustrating for a middle of the roader like me. I have candidates from both parties that I like, the problem is that they are Ron Paul and John Edwards. :(

beyondtheinfinite
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2007, 1:01 pm

I don't really like any of the candidates. In fact, I'm kind of fed up with politics altogether. The campaign speeches are elaborate works of fiction, the promises are an equal mix of hypocrisy and lies, and no matter who you vote for Government always gets in. Greed, corruption, hypocrisy... it's gotten to the point where we're surprised if a politician *isn't* doing something underhanded.

I think I'll vote for whichever candidate seems least likely to start a nuclear war.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 12:47 am

I'll resurrect this because I just saw this. Who thinks it's likely he'll be the next president of the US?

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... geNumber=1

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 2:22 pm

I think Fred Thompson is a very interesting person.
I don't know much about him, other than his stint on Law & Order, but he needs to move very fast as possible.

Did you hear that NBC will no longer air episodes of "Law & Order" with Fred Thompson in them?

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2007, 10:13 pm

I plan on voting for Ron Paul - not that I like much about his ideas, but it'd be hilarious watching the heads roll if he actually won.