Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2006, 8:12 pm

i tried getting used to contacts before i did glasses and i haaaated it. it felt like such a fishbowl effect. i guess that is normal though when you're getting used to a new prescription but i didnt want to deal with it. that was a couple years ago. i went in yesterday as a matter of fact to the optometrist to get my prescription renewed for GLASSES this time. i picked out a nice pair, im excited for them to come in. i love the look of glasses on most people haha hopefully i wont look like a dork in mine.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2006, 8:21 pm

I've been wearing glasses since I was in second grade. >.>

I tried wearing contacts for a year, but I'm lazy and I didn't like having to take them in and out. Plus, I think I look better in glasses. :p

I have some pretty cool frames. They're black, and the metal part only covers half the lense. ^^

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2006, 4:49 am

hi, Ihave glasses but typical me being able to break the bendy ones where they drill the hole to attach the frames to the lenses mental note: i reallyy need to glasses fixed. any way my pearents will proberally fix them when they get the money. I have had glasses ever since i was 7-8 its amazing really i never knew trees had leaves.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 11:54 am

I only wear my glasses when Im indoors to give my eyes a rest from wearing my contact lenses. My problem is I have difficulty finding glasses to fit me properly as the circumference of my head is a little smaller than most adults, and the adults glasses are too big and the childrens glasses are too small, its such a pain. I have to have adults glasses shrunk or whatever they do in order to fit my head and can only go for metal frames. Besides I look like a geek in glasses anyway, not like a mate of mine who looks absolutely stunning in them.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:38 am

I have worn glasses since the age of about 4 (I think).
I wore contacts for the 9 years I worked at a mushroom farm, as it was easier to drive a forklift outside while wearing sunglasses on top of contacts.
I am short-sighted in one eye, long-sighted in the other, have astigmatism in both eyes and need a prismatic lense for my left eye.
By the time I was 7 years old, I had 6 eye operations. They were to tighten the muscles behind each eye.
I just needed new lenses again after only 6 months. I am now wondering how much my eyes will deteriorate in the future.
O.K. End rant!! !

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 8:20 am

Ha, one of my obsessions is to try to work out whether a person's long- or short-sighted by their glasses (very easy) but if they're short-sighted, I try to work out how much so they are. And when I meet new people, with whom I spend some time (eg at orchestra course) I always try to pluck up the courage to ask them how short-sighted they are. Yes they think I'm weird, but half of them don't know their prescriptions! If they're less short-sighted or a tiny bit more so than I am, then I can work it out if I try their glasses on - I get odd looks for asking that, too.

I'm short-sighted; -2 in my right and -4 in my left (ew, I've just noticed I have dead skin all over my hand!) and I've had glasses since year 5, so the age of 9. Lol the first set I had were + lenses - that optician was sacked after a while lol.

I think most people look better in glasses than out of, and my friend is almost obsessed by people in glasses - she thinks they're cool, whether she's met them or not. Though she looks like some kind of dowdy librarian in them - ha! My glasses are just bog-standard NHS issue ones - can't afford any nicer ones. Though I don't think mine are too bad :) But I like those rimless ones, and I also like the ones with half rims. Lol I'd not trust those bendy ones - my friend twisted his in between the lenses and couldn't see for the rest of the day lol.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2006, 8:46 am

I'm short sighted and have been wearing glasses for about 18 years.

I tried contacts but I couldn't get used to them.

I wear them almost all the time.

Anton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2006, 8:46 am

I have had glasses since I was 8 or so.

I tried contacts for a year or two, but it was too much of a bother, so I switched back to glasses.

The glasses I have now are really bothersome though. They cause irritation behind my ears.. Next time I get a new fram, I'll be sure to get better ones.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2006, 12:41 pm

I've been wearing glasses since about the 3rd grade, but I had them before, but I hated wearing them, because I didn't like being one of the few kids in my class who had glasses. Anyways, I don't like contacts so I'm stuck with the glasses.

Now, I used to have the clip-on sunglasses and for a while I had the prescription sunglasses, but they were getting to be a hassle. Always, losing the clip-ons and the prescription sunglasses were being a big pain trying to keep track of and having to take off my regular glasses, putting on my sunglasses, taking off the sunglasses to put on my regular glasses, and it wasn't worth it for me.

So, I figured the best solution for me is to get the polarized lenses and I am loving them. They are wonderful.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 1:26 pm

renaeden wrote:
I just needed new lenses again after only 6 months. I am now wondering how much my eyes will deteriorate in the future.
O.K. End rant!! !

Worst case scenario? I recall two particular cases where the individuals were going short-sighted faster than we could make them glasses. Appreciable change in under a week.

This was also a near record time for the development of cataract: perfectly clear to near complete cataract in about six weeks.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 1:44 pm

Musical_Lottie wrote:
I always try to pluck up the courage to ask them how short-sighted they are.

I'm short-sighted; -2 in my right and -4 in my left l.

I'll see your -4, and raise you to -13.75 in the worse meridian of my worst eye.
(The best meridian in my best eye is a mere -7.00.)

I use Lantal 1.9's, the thinnest optical lenses in the world.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:41 pm

I'm farsighted and astigmatic. I didn't start wearing glasses until I was 23. I don't like them, but there's really no alternative. The cylindrical correction for astigmatism changes the position of the horizon and alters my sense of vertical dimension, so taking them off and putting them back on all the time would be disorienting because I'd never be sure just how far I was off the ground whether walking or riding my bike, etc. I was able to rule out contacts pretty easily, first because I can't stand the idea of anything touching my eyes, but also because even though my prescription isn't very strong I'm very sensitive to errors, and although they make weighted contacts for astigmatism they aren't as accurate because they move around when you blink.

I went to a laser clinic last summer for a free consultation. I told them I was sensitive to touch and they needed to go slow and explain everything so I wouldn't over-react, but of course as soon as the room lights were turned down for the computerized lens measurements the doctor poked me in the cheek with something either by accident or at least without warning. Things went down-hill from there very fast. When they tried to measure the internal eye pressure I balked (several times) and we had to call it off. The doc said that my eyes were probably good enough for laser surgery but didn't think I should do it because my fear of being touched would create a high risk of accident when they tried to cut the flap. In any case, people who are far-sighted are usually told not to bother because the correction is much more invasive than it is for near-sighted people, and as the eye heals it tends to change shape so that about 2/3 of the patients have to go back for a 2nd procedure.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:14 pm

I've worn glasses for years now, and never had a problem with them. Mine don't scratch, they tend to have little glare, the dirt can be wiped off with a t-shirt, a lick of my tounge and a little elbow grease...

And they don't irritate me as much as being unable to see.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 9:20 am

When I last had my eyes tested, the optometrist thought he could make me see one of everything instead of double. He couldn't.
My prescription is: Left +2, Right -2. So when I take my glasses off, it's pretty trippy, I don't like it at all.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 1:35 pm

renaeden wrote:

My prescription is: Left +2, Right -2. So when I take my glasses off, it's pretty trippy, I don't like it at all.

Yes, that would be a challenge, speaking professionally.

I had to deal with a six dioptre difference this week, and in no way was giving each eye its full prescription the right move!

Jekyll
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2006, 6:33 pm

I've been wearing glasses since 6th grade. I hated them when I first got them because all of my classmates made fun of them, even the ones with glasses, so I "lost" them...But now I'm fine with glasses. Most times I wear contacts, though, because glasses hurt my ears and the bridge of my nose. I've gotten many different pairs of glasses, and the pair I have now my dad called "Ben Franklin" glasses :) I'm assuming that means they make me look intelligent, because Ben Franklin was very intelligent.