Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:47 pm

Does anyone else have interest in the Titanic?
I have had an on/off lifelong obsession with Titanic, and of course, I now live in Southampton, where she set off from in January of 1912.

I recently found out that she did not really go down purely as a result of hitting an iceberg, but rather because of poor construction. The rivets that held the hull together were made using 9% slag rather than the 3% that would have strengthened her resistance. The result is that when the ship hit the iceberg, the rivets yielded, and once some had yielded to the pressure, the rest, unable to take the pressure, yielded too, causing a split.

It is also now believed she broke in half at a lesser angle than originally presumed...10%, and that she would have gone down sooner or later anyway as a large wave in a storm can create this level of tilt as well.

She went down just before midnight on April 15th 1912. 1520 people approx died, and just over 700 survived. 550 of those who perished came from Southampton, including most of the crew.

Anyway, anyone else had an interest in Titanic?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:50 pm

It's funny that you bring this subject up, because I was playing an online Titanic search game, earlier today. I'm very interested in the Titanic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 3:53 pm

My dad has an interest in the Titanic. I liked the movie because of the scene where Leonardo DiCaprio drew Kate Winslet in the nude. :lol:

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2007, 3:59 pm

I had an obession with it in 5th grade after finding a book about it. I even have a vidoe game (a while back) that was what the ship would have looked like and you interact with passengers in an attempt to change history by finding a member of the blackhand who would 2 years later kill arch duke fredernand. Awsome game, all talking, little action tho, the scens were acurate and I enjoyed just walking around, occasinally pissing ppl off.

Even for that time, the metal they used was of poor quality, it had a high concentration of sulfer, and when that happens, metal becomes brital when cold, another problem. They were kinda stupid when they made her, had lots of bulkheads and watertight compartments, but the top was not waterproof so water spilled over, so what was the point?? Maby add an extra hr b4 she sunk?

The 4th stack was fake, i cant remember why they put that on their

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 4:35 pm

I can say I'm interested in it but not because of Titanic itself but because I like reading about catastrophes.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 4:55 pm

Hi Graelwyn,

I've got an interest in the Titantic. I remember as a kid reading a article about it in my dads 'Readers Digest' and seeing some of the pictures that had been taken on dives. My interest in the Titantic as a kid was pretty limited(parents discouraged my 'interests')but since the(crappy)film was made my interest started to come back.

Thank goodness for the internet. :D

Star_Platinum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2007, 5:59 pm

When I was around 10 years old I had a major obsession on the titanic, I used to be able to rattle off just about anything in regards to the ship. And then after learning virtually everything there was about the ship I just lost interest in it.

Though I will say that during this summer the Ontario Science Center was holding an exhibit on the titanic. It was amazing, there were so many things there I didn't know that I had learned there. It was a real throwback to my childhood.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 7:59 pm

I saw an exhibition in London once that had a part of the wreckage I believe. There is also a lot connected to it here in Southampton, Uk, for obvious reasons. I would love to be able to memorize all the ship plans etc, but alas, my interest seems to lie more in the photographic evidence and menu examples. There is a site online where you can see a full list of who was on board and what cabin they were in.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 8:07 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I saw an exhibition in London once that had a part of the wreckage I believe. There is also a lot connected to it here in Southampton, Uk, for obvious reasons. I would love to be able to memorize all the ship plans etc, but alas, my interest seems to lie more in the photographic evidence and menu examples. There is a site online where you can see a full list of who was on board and what cabin they were in.

What site?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 8:15 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Does anyone else have interest in the Titanic?
I have had an on/off lifelong obsession with Titanic, and of course, I now live in Southampton, where she set off from in January of 1912.

I recently found out that she did not really go down purely as a result of hitting an iceberg, but rather because of poor construction. The rivets that held the hull together were made using 9% slag rather than the 3% that would have strengthened her resistance. The result is that when the ship hit the iceberg, the rivets yielded, and once some had yielded to the pressure, the rest, unable to take the pressure, yielded too, causing a split.

It is also now believed she broke in half at a lesser angle than originally presumed...10%, and that she would have gone down sooner or later anyway as a large wave in a storm can create this level of tilt as well.

She went down just before midnight on April 15th 1912. 1520 people approx died, and just over 700 survived. 550 of those who perished came from Southampton, including most of the crew.

Anyway, anyone else had an interest in Titanic?

Not per se, but guess what? The next Doctor Who Christmas special is set on board the Titanic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_ ... tor_Who%29

On sabbatical...

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2007, 10:06 pm

Me too, I interested in arcs, ships, tidal waves, disasters, tsunamis and floods also.
My sons who are aslo As share this interest as well one has a Titanic ship above his bed and another is obsessed with the moon because of its effect on tides
Hers a weird association - the Titanic always makes me think of pyramids.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 12:35 am

I find the subject of the Titanic very interesting, it is just fascinating to me that it is still there under the water!! ! It is like a ghost. But at the same time, I find it heartbreaking because of all those people that died so terribly.

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2007, 3:21 am

I'd say I know more about the titanic than most people. I've been to the Molly Brown house, and I get glued to the t.v. when I see tidbits on the history channel etc. So yeah, I have an interest in it.

http://heritage.scotsman.com/topics.cfm ... bad=915398