Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 2:39 am

Who likes to participate in crosscountry running? I think that it's cool, since you get to stomp all over the mud and get to run through the rain, depending where you are and which season it's in. It's hard, but it's worth it because it gets you into super good shape.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 8:53 am

There was a cross country running club in my former high school. It was inhabited by the basketball players and snobs so I didn't sign up. However, one day in gym class I destroyed the 2 best runners in the club in a 5000 meter race. It was fun.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:29 pm

That's cool. I haven't taken any gym classes in high school yet, but in middle school, I beat lots of the milers. But, if we did anything in the gym (running wise), it wasn't as competitive as you couldn't tell who was on which lap because of the size of the gym. It was still fun, though.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 2:40 pm

I don't run much anymore but I bike some pretty harsh courses and cross country ski in the winter.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 12:15 pm

I've never gone skiing before, but I heard it's pretty fun. I like biking as well; one of these days I'm going to try out a dualathlon, when I get older of course. Biking could still get you in the same shape as running, since bikers are using most of the same muscles that runners do; of course, it depends how long and how far you ride a bike.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 12:24 pm

Running is nice and all of that, but I would rather stick to a low-impact type of activity.

I work a job where I'm constantly on my feet moving around all night carrying heavy cases, bending, kneeling, ETC.

I'm only 25 and lately when I get home, my knees are so sore that I can't even kneel down or take a flight of stairs with out getting intense pains in my knees.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2005, 9:20 am

My crosscountry season starts today; woohoo! I get to be awake early (which I love because I'm a morning person), and I get to run and be with my team. I'm so excited. Not many people like crosscountry, but I love it; I still like soccer/futbol, though (futbol is such a better name for soccer).

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2005, 1:18 am

X-Country running is a good sport for those High-schoolers who want to play el fútbol in the winter (assuming it is a winter sport at some schools). It can really get them in shape while running around (the pitch).

I tried X-country running for two years but I couldn't really get into it. I tried it because I was a pretty lean person who looked able to do some endurance running. But I didn't have enough confidence to keep a good pace and I didn't like doing the harder sprints where you had to finish strong. Then having sore legs and being too pessimistic on getting the rust out of them slowed me down too. At least I ran a few meets and at least I wasn't one of the critical 5 runners to score.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 1:34 am

Some people call me crazy because I like to run. I guess that's just me. XC is hard, and the pace thing is killer if you're going fast, but not sprinting fast or else you would faint. The worst part are the hills; if you have ever ran the Sound to Narrows run, you would definitely know what a hill would look like. The first run of the season has two incredibly steep hills that seem to last forever; but, in the end, the finish line comes, and it's all over and time to eat! :) XC is definitely a hard sport, but it's worth it to get into shape and to meet goals and stuff; I wish I could do both futbol and crosscountry, but they are both in the same season. I guess the reason I did XC was because I didn't want to get fat as the goalkeeper, but I don't want to totally give up futbol; I still love the sport but cannot find a way to play it. I will again someday.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2005, 2:23 am

Well that's a downer. I know colleges do both in the fall. But in Calif. balompié (another word for fútbol, but less common) is a winter sport. I don't know why scholastic Feds wouldn't want to play it in the winter since they do in Europe, even when there's snow. But I suppose the schools in the snowy areas don't want to put time in cleaning the field, especially if they can't afford to.

So imagine switching the seasons and having X-Country running in the winter instead? That would be brutal. Maybe not snow where I am, but a lot of rain soaked paths. Just seeing the runners climb the hill and slipping all over the place and then sliding like crazy coming down, would be interesting. Only problem is there would be some major liability issues due to higher risk of injuries and that is something schools cannot afford to be put in.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2005, 9:45 am

I was crazy enough to run x-country to improve my endurance as a heavyweight wrestler. Heavyweights weigh from 215 to 275 pounds, so it was. . . .quite interesting.

I averaged 32/35 minutes on the 3.2 mile courses, not fast, but. . . .. . .what the hey?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2005, 3:24 am

It's during the practice time that the hard running takes place. Some days - slow pace with many miles, other days fewer miles but much harder running. Slow runs to practice posture and technique, short sprints to help strengthen finishes. Mile runs to estimate avg. times and possible finishing times in which to determine the anchor runners. Days were the paces and hills and strong finishes are blended in.
Runs at local parks with trails and hills and other terrains.

I was told to have a good 3-mile race, you had to run at least 6-10 miles in training. Maybe more. I know the faster runners had to run longer distances at practice and therefore were separated from the rest of the team at times. But normally the teams run together.

It was the sprints I didn't like and I would feel nauseous at times and then cool down to prevent anything worse.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 2:23 am

nocturnalowl wrote:
It was the sprints I didn't like and I would feel nauseous at times and then cool down to prevent anything worse.

I hate sprinting; on mondays, we have intervals on the track, and usually on thursdays we have fartleks. I don't like much speed work, but it does benefit your speed.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2005, 3:48 am

I don't know what it is. But did any of you do practice at like parks with hills at trails? It wouldn't be much if the team only practiced on the schools perimiter and track. Just a matter of how to get to the parks.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 2:37 am

We do the intervals on the track, but the fartleks and the other running stuff we did on the road, or in a grassy area (we have any area we run that's right by a canal). We don't do as much track work as off-track stuff, though.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 6:26 pm

I run XC!! ! I love it! It's just amazing. I'm hoping to really improve this season :)