Page 7 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

I don't hand flap at all and don't think I ever have. I do rub them together though.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm

Hand flapping was never one of my stims, but I have several others. None of them is really weird, so if I lose control of them in public, it usually doesn't look too weird.

Among my repertoire are knee bouncing, pen and utensil twirling, tapping fingers and/or nodding head, or moving my hand to the beat during music, and a few others. The ones during music are only a problem if the music I am listening to is just a tune running in my brain. Since my brain usually plays tunes when no other music is available, I do have to try to control this stim in public. :lol:

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

Recently I do hand flapping A LOT. It used to be a happy stim of mine but strangely this seems to have changed. I'm really unstable these days and have had meltdowns three times this week only.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:03 pm

the reasons for my stims seem to kind of change and migrate, too. whether the cause is angry, happy, stressed, etc, my stims seem to migrate

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 5:43 am

I was doing this today actually. But my version is sort of flapping my fingers against my palm while moving my hand up and down. Not sure why exactly, but I was sort of uncomfortable about something at my job so that's probably it.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2017, 1:46 am

Starr wrote:
I don't hand flap. The main AS thing I do when I'm very upset is biting my lips and the inside of my mouth.

Same here as well as bouncing my legs

CrossedHannah
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 5:38 am

On rare occasions, if I'm very excited or nervous I do hand flap. I don't like doing it in front of others, I try to keep my stims small or hidden in public. I prefer to rock back and forth and side to side more anyways, that is the one hard to control for me.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 5:42 pm

No, I don't flap my hands. I don't want to do anything that would make people think I'm weird. Of course, having an interest in a tennis player many people have never heard of (too bad, they should know of him) would make people think I'm weird, anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:59 am

If I hand-flap these days, I'd break my wrists.

I don't think I hand-flapped even in my blatantly autistic days.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2017, 6:32 pm

I dont do it anymore, I havnt for years. It was something I always associated with child-like excitement.

However, my main stimmimg behaviour involves flapping-like stimulus, I twirl a kitchen utensil (a spatula, a ladel) rapidly around in my hands so the shaft twirls around. I remember doing this when I was no more than 4 years old, and I still do this decades later.

To me the two were different, but the utensil thing is pretty similar I guess. Does anybody else do weird s**t like this?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:00 am

I OCCASIONALLY flap my hands when I'm REALLY EXCITED and ALONE IN THE ROOM. LOL.

HyperX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm

i have to twittle my fingers in front of my face while closing my eyes when i have an abundance of extremely excited energy. It's something I've always done and even now i still do it when my excitement builds up. I need it to release the energy otherwise i start shaking and get overly anxious and overwhelmed. But i hide it, never do it in front of people. usually go into the bathroom. even the closest people in my life don't know i do it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:17 am

Victor1985 wrote:
However, my main stimmimg behaviour involves flapping-like stimulus, I twirl a kitchen utensil (a spatula, a ladel) rapidly around in my hands so the shaft twirls around. I remember doing this when I was no more than 4 years old, and I still do this decades later.

To me the two were different, but the utensil thing is pretty similar I guess. Does anybody else do weird s**t like this?

lol. yep. it's also imperative that i vibrate (?????) the end of a metal ruler on a table whenever i have access to those. i HAVE to do it.

always.

there's a method out there somewhere that allows clapping very quickly, and while it's hard (but rewarding) to get them all to connect so it sounds like applause, it looks really dumb and is hand flapping in the most literal sense.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:13 am

I will involuntarily start to flap my left hand when I'm very excited, but usually stop it right away. I used to do it more, especially as a teen, but now I prefer to flick my hands to get the wrist movement I crave.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2018, 5:22 am

I never do it because that would result in huge pain in my wrists. I occasionally do other stuff with my hands tough. For example I really love to link my little fingers into each other. I also tend to clap alot.

RAADS-R: 134

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 3:33 pm

I never hand flap. I wanted to the other day, though, because I was very excited. I found out I was getting my service dog much sooner than expected.

I wonder if nonautistic people get the urge when they receive great news - like winning the lottery.