cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2008, 10:43 pm

Ems wrote:
cerasela wrote:
thyme wrote:
cerasela wrote:
I found a video with my daughter where she's doing "extreme" hand flapping, on a stage, because she was happy and excited.

That must have been really cute cerasela :)
I think hand-flapping is good for people with AS/Autism.

Thank you for the comment. Yes, she was. I watched it with her and her Dad very recently. In the video, I could hear myself saying: "What is she doing?"...I didn't have a clue then. Thank G-d, because this way I avoided all the special education nightmare...yes, she was very cute and so happy!! ! She would "kill" me if I would post it, maybe later, when she will agree...
Thank you again for your kind comment! :)

I also think hand-flapping is good for auties/aspies :D I would like to see that video. I'm sure she is very cute :wink:

I am totally ret*d about editing videos. If I can learn how to shadow(hide?) her face, I will post it or send it to you. I think that parents that post their kid's videos are grossly disrespecting them, it does not matter if it's a child (actually it's more imperative if it is a child's rights that are being violated), they(the kids) should give permission to have their faces/bodies posted for the whole world to see. I am saying this because I saw a bunch of videos on youtube where parents post their autistic children's behaviour and all kinds of as*holes are posting nasty comments and probably a lot of those guys are jerking off looking at those children...I am sorry, I am not a very positive person when it comes to anything, because I was raped when I was 5 and I just don't think that people are all good...I think that this world is more and more like a big mental hospital than a normal place (at least USA is a big one...)...normal, yeah, what is normal. Anyway, it is a beautiful video I have of my daughter...sorry I can't share it with strangers...I just think that anybody can be a sicko...sorry...I got so scared this past year of things that happened that all I wanted for this past Christmas was a shotgun...I am starting to have a hillbillie mentality...I hope you understand my humor, you say you are in Sweden, so...maybe you don't...

PS For whoever wants to hurt me (in my professional life, for example) using what I posted in confidence here, watch out, I have a good lawyer.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:44 pm

cerasela wrote:
I think that this world is more and more like a big mental hospital than a normal place (at least USA is a big one...)...

great minds think alike :)

"...This planet is just an overpopulated mental hospital,
& each zombie that walks around constitutes another obstacle..."

eyedea - 'even shadows have shadows'

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 11:09 pm

I was being cynical, real mentally ill people are few and my heart goes out to them... I am reffering to mean people, conceited people etc. But I am glad I am not the only one that thinks like that. I am probably tired of mean people... :?

PS For whoever wants to hurt me (in my professional life, for example) using what I posted in confidence here, watch out, I have a good lawyer.

Ems
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2008, 4:55 pm

cerasela wrote:
Ems wrote:
cerasela wrote:
thyme wrote:
cerasela wrote:
I found a video with my daughter where she's doing "extreme" hand flapping, on a stage, because she was happy and excited.

That must have been really cute cerasela :)
I think hand-flapping is good for people with AS/Autism.

Thank you for the comment. Yes, she was. I watched it with her and her Dad very recently. In the video, I could hear myself saying: "What is she doing?"...I didn't have a clue then. Thank G-d, because this way I avoided all the special education nightmare...yes, she was very cute and so happy!! ! She would "kill" me if I would post it, maybe later, when she will agree...
Thank you again for your kind comment! :)

I also think hand-flapping is good for auties/aspies :D I would like to see that video. I'm sure she is very cute :wink:

I am totally ret*d about editing videos. If I can learn how to shadow(hide?) her face, I will post it or send it to you. I think that parents that post their kid's videos are grossly disrespecting them, it does not matter if it's a child (actually it's more imperative if it is a child's rights that are being violated), they(the kids) should give permission to have their faces/bodies posted for the whole world to see. I am saying this because I saw a bunch of videos on youtube where parents post their autistic children's behaviour and all kinds of as*holes are posting nasty comments and probably a lot of those guys are jerking off looking at those children...I am sorry, I am not a very positive person when it comes to anything, because I was raped when I was 5 and I just don't think that people are all good...I think that this world is more and more like a big mental hospital than a normal place (at least USA is a big one...)...normal, yeah, what is normal. Anyway, it is a beautiful video I have of my daughter...sorry I can't share it with strangers...I just think that anybody can be a sicko...sorry...I got so scared this past year of things that happened that all I wanted for this past Christmas was a shotgun...I am starting to have a hillbillie mentality...I hope you understand my humor, you say you are in Sweden, so...maybe you don't...
Oh, yes I understand you. I also really HATE those who make fun of it. I'm sorry for what happened to you as a child.

mindysparrow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

i've hand flapped since i was a small child. but it has become less frequent over the years , i'm now 45 years old and i still do it. as a child it was a source of great shame for me. I was punished for it, and when that didn't work they tested me for epilepsy. this was in the 1970's. they told me it was just a bad habit and to try to control it by sitting on my hands. this was successful for stimming in public, but i still did it shamefully in private and didn't know why. when i was caught i was beyond embarrassed. it was not until about 2 months ago that i realized, from my 19 year old aspie son-diagnosed several years ago-that i too was an aspie. i've spent literally years teaching myself to be "normal". i have about 200 community college credits in an attempt to understand the world. most of my social relationships have been with people who were non-conformists-mostly druggies. they never work out-i still have no permanent friends-i always do something to screw it up and am not forgiven. anyway, that is beside the subject. hand-flapping. my parents continued to make fun of me saying i was trying to fly. so i developed a fascination with birds. my sister said this was proof of mental illness. iv'e been misdiagnosed with all kinds of things over the years. a therapist told me 6 months ago that my stimmimg was the result of being left alone uncared for and alone in a crib in foster care for the first 3 months of my life. but my son still insisted he could tell i was an aspie, and that my current nt traits were learned. (my current tests show i'm mostly nt-because i now posess nt social skills to some extent- enough to work as a cashier at a grocery store- i basically learned how to BS and be polite. but i realize all this was learned -not innate...i have trouble staying on the supject-another aspie trait. anyway, i took the aspie quiz a month ago pretending to be me in junior high school and the results were totally aspie! I used to be ashamed of my stimming, only doing it when i thought no one was watching, and feeling ashamed when "caught"- as if i was caught masterbating or something! I tend to do it when 1. deep in thought 2. very happy 3. i've come up with an exciting new revelation about something. so next time i get caught doing this i've decided not to feel ashamed, but to explain that i'm an aspie and that just a weird quirk we tend to have--why do people act so afraid?

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2008, 3:42 pm

mindysparrow wrote:
I tend to do it when 1. deep in thought 2. very happy 3. i've come up with an exciting new revelation about something. so next time i get caught doing this i've decided not to feel ashamed, but to explain that i'm an aspie and that just a weird quirk we tend to have--why do people act so afraid?

That's when I do it too - or if something disturbs me or grosses me out on an extreme level, and I do it when I'm happy about hearing/seeing something related to my obsession, not when I'm happy because I got a good grade or something. I also felt like I was being caught masturbating - my mom acknowledges that I am somewhat autistic, but she still doesn't cut me slack. Her feeling is that it's socially unacceptable, and that's that. It angers her and she makes me ashamed - she's caught mel like 3 times since I was old enough to stop doing it in public - what does it matter if I want to do it in private? Mine isn't exactly handflapping though, it's finger flapping - I can't describe it, but I move my fingers really rapidly and against each other, and if it's particularly intense I do it touching my nose for some reason - so it looks especially odd - but if no one really notices, I don't see the problem. I hide it by putting my hands under my arms. I hate that my mom is so intolerant about it - she doesn't get it and thinks I do it on purpose and should just stop. If I tell her I will never stop, just hide it better, she'd be very upset. But I know it will always be something I do.

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2008, 12:33 am

For the last two people that posted...I rock a lot and I am enjoying it so much, it is better than yoga, it might sound immature, but I love it. I just felt like doing it again at work...emergency room... and I don't give a rat'a ass what anybody thinks, anymore. I mean it. It just took away all the tension I got working for 12 hours like an animal (without beeing appreciated. :? )... :) That's all I have to say. Even getting caught masturbating, specially as a man, what's the big deal about it? Hand flap as much as you need, who cares what anybody thinks?

LevkaLevushka11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2015, 11:15 pm

I did it frequently in childhood... I stopped when I was in middle school, when I picked up the habit of sniffing things like small objects or my hands. I recently started frequently flapping again as an adult... I have been under a huge amount of stress causing a boatload of sensory and cognitive issues that just make the stress worse. I have been flapping, rocking, pacing, cursing, and head-banging like crazy in the last few weeks...
I have had a great number of meltdowns, sometimes more than one in a day....
I could say more, but it will end up being a rant.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm

I never really done that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 11:16 pm

I do other things. I have never done that.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2016, 10:27 am

While I haven't flapped since I was a teenager, there are certain stresses of adult life that make this stim very tempting.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm

I seldom hand flap, but I have other stims. They are rocking, picking at my cuticles, playing with buttons on my clothes, slight head jerking when I'm overstimulated and tired.

Illangelo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

I used to do it excessively though I've gained control. I only trip up and flap em under stressful/exciting situations. I can't seem to stop biting/chewing on my lower lip and rolling my shoulders however.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

I do it occasionally when I'm really happy/excited about something or when I'm talking to my pets :p

mishtheelf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm

I tap (pleasing feeling the pressure waves on cuticles), and use fans a lot for the wind on face feeling. Visual things are also good sometimes, like turning mu head at various angles to see things differently, or staring at a light and squinting at different intensities to see the effects of lens compression on my vision (little light beams shooting from the light source in all directions). I always have suppressed anything too unusual, for fear of shunning. Makes for some awfully twisted feeling intestines, suppressing everything, though.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2016, 6:56 am

I like hand flapping - it feels like a bodily pressure release valve to me. However, if I find myself doing it in public I do get embarrassed. The last time it happened I was very unwell (my gut stopped working) and waiting to be admitted to hospital. People kept staring at me which I hate. What I tend to do when I'm not too stressed is to turn it into tapping out a rhythm on my thighs. This is more socially acceptable I think, so long as it's not too loud and I'm not in church or in the cinema or in the library. (Plus it cant' go on too long or people get annoyed.) It really helps me to have a more acceptable outlet for the flapping feeling.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)