Page 5 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2016, 6:56 am

I like hand flapping - it feels like a bodily pressure release valve to me. However, if I find myself doing it in public I do get embarrassed. The last time it happened I was very unwell (my gut stopped working) and waiting to be admitted to hospital. People kept staring at me which I hate. What I tend to do when I'm not too stressed is to turn it into tapping out a rhythm on my thighs. This is more socially acceptable I think, so long as it's not too loud and I'm not in church or in the cinema or in the library. (Plus it cant' go on too long or people get annoyed.) It really helps me to have a more acceptable outlet for the flapping feeling.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2016, 6:40 am

None. Never. With all the interesting facial tics I have, I have no need of such practices.

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2016, 6:52 am

Still do when I'm too happily excited and sometimes when anxiously or impatiently anticipating something.

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

When I'm really happy and or really tired. Especially when I'm really happy it feels like I'm releasing a pressure valve. It feels good!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:47 am

I do a little bit of hand flapping when I'm very stressed. My usual form of stimming is to play with my hair (when in private). I've done it since early childhood. I know it's really weird but it seems to calm me down.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:32 am

It seems to naturally emanate from me and replace the skills others have where they know when to increase voice volume or changing rhythm and inflections etc, I find the physical OOMPH I feel from flapping like a breadless bird emphasizes my points I am either thinking through in my head or trying to push through my voice to others at times, I also do it when I am spinning around or hopping about and am agitated or excited by things, I never knew I did it until I began exploring autism more deeply, the doc who diagnosed me noted that I hand wrung and hand flapped an awful lot from observation. An old therapist also noticed I had issues with my hands, I'd never ever registered that I did it until then and even though I am aware of it these days I don't catch myself doing it constantly, it kinda comes into focus on occasion and I am surprised by that.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2017, 4:20 pm

I used to do it a bit as a child. I still remember a video of me on my Holy Communion opening presents from relatives and flapping my hands a lot, really fast. When something startles me I can flap one hand a little bit, just for a few seconds. When I'm thinking and trying to concentrate I do something that looks like one-hand-clapping :) (fingers bend and touch the bottom part of palms).
Most of my stims now are balancing on edges, heels, chairs, finger tapping on things but not hand flapping.
Not long ago, while alone, I just felt the urge to jump while spinning around, flap my hands and make a high-pitched Eeeeheeee sound :D That felt... really good, like I was exploding with happy, bouncy energy :) but I don't really do anything like that normally and never when people are around.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 5:20 pm

I do it when i'm happy, excited or when my mind is racing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:42 am

Not hand flapping but whipping back and forth things line pencils, combs, hangers plenty nearly all the time in private.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rtmpgt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2017, 7:29 am

None.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 4:07 pm

What about moving my feet a lot when I'm sitting?

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
What about moving my feet a lot when I'm sitting?

Oh man, I do it so often. When I was younger I used to kick a wall under and behind my desk pretty often (at work...) and ruining my shoes. I also bend my big toes and press them towards the ground until they "click", straighten them, then bend and click again. And again.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

I don't think this is a stim I have ever had, I tend to do more fidgety things with my hands like pick up random objects or if I am holding paper I tend to crumple it I guess when I am talking and such sometimes I touch my face and weird things like that...a lot of times I am not aware when I start stimming, but eventually notice it or if someone points it out I notice.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 2:20 am

I used to flutter my hands over my chest, kind of rubbing my nipples. I stopped, at least in public, because someone confronted me on it saying it looked sexually suggestive. In general I was very careful to keep my wrists straight while in school, though, because kids would taunt me and mock me with the exaggerated limp-wristed gesture that meant they thought I was gay. Once I was older I couldn't have cared less if they did, but the end result is that as an adult I do very little that resembles flapping. I do flick the back of my head when anxious, and I often pick up small objects and shak them in front of my face, among other things.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2017, 5:14 pm

Redxk wrote:
In general I was very careful to keep my wrists straight while in school, though, because kids would taunt me and mock me with the exaggerated limp-wristed gesture that meant they thought I was gay.

Yep I used to get that from people. When I talk I often make weird in involuntary movements with my hands and sometimes let my wrists bend down. Other kids would laugh and call me gay. No one laughs at me to my face anymore though, not that I care anyway.

I don't think I ever did too much hand flapping per se. Mostly I'm always tapping my feet and wiggling my legs.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 6:09 am

Private Idaho wrote:
Redxk wrote:
In general I was very careful to keep my wrists straight while in school, though, because kids would taunt me and mock me with the exaggerated limp-wristed gesture that meant they thought I was gay.
Yep I used to get that from people. When I talk I often make weird in involuntary movements with my hands and sometimes let my wrists bend down. Other kids would laugh and call me gay. No one laughs at me to my face anymore though, not that I care anyway.

I don't think I ever did too much hand flapping per se. Mostly I'm always tapping my feet and wiggling my legs.
Must be a generational thing because I never heard that at school.