Page 7 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2017, 6:32 pm

I dont do it anymore, I havnt for years. It was something I always associated with child-like excitement.

However, my main stimmimg behaviour involves flapping-like stimulus, I twirl a kitchen utensil (a spatula, a ladel) rapidly around in my hands so the shaft twirls around. I remember doing this when I was no more than 4 years old, and I still do this decades later.

To me the two were different, but the utensil thing is pretty similar I guess. Does anybody else do weird s**t like this?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:00 am

I OCCASIONALLY flap my hands when I'm REALLY EXCITED and ALONE IN THE ROOM. LOL.

HyperX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm

i have to twittle my fingers in front of my face while closing my eyes when i have an abundance of extremely excited energy. It's something I've always done and even now i still do it when my excitement builds up. I need it to release the energy otherwise i start shaking and get overly anxious and overwhelmed. But i hide it, never do it in front of people. usually go into the bathroom. even the closest people in my life don't know i do it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:17 am

Victor1985 wrote:
However, my main stimmimg behaviour involves flapping-like stimulus, I twirl a kitchen utensil (a spatula, a ladel) rapidly around in my hands so the shaft twirls around. I remember doing this when I was no more than 4 years old, and I still do this decades later.

To me the two were different, but the utensil thing is pretty similar I guess. Does anybody else do weird s**t like this?

lol. yep. it's also imperative that i vibrate (?????) the end of a metal ruler on a table whenever i have access to those. i HAVE to do it.

always.

there's a method out there somewhere that allows clapping very quickly, and while it's hard (but rewarding) to get them all to connect so it sounds like applause, it looks really dumb and is hand flapping in the most literal sense.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:13 am

I will involuntarily start to flap my left hand when I'm very excited, but usually stop it right away. I used to do it more, especially as a teen, but now I prefer to flick my hands to get the wrist movement I crave.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2018, 5:22 am

I never do it because that would result in huge pain in my wrists. I occasionally do other stuff with my hands tough. For example I really love to link my little fingers into each other. I also tend to clap alot.

RAADS-R: 134

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 3:33 pm

I never hand flap. I wanted to the other day, though, because I was very excited. I found out I was getting my service dog much sooner than expected.

I wonder if nonautistic people get the urge when they receive great news - like winning the lottery.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 6:01 pm

I can't physically hand-flap. I have a rather bad left wrist; my right wrist would surely follow should I hand-flap.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 2:11 am

I don't think I flap my hands like a bird much, but I do a lot of hand and arm movements. I move my fingers around a lot.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

I did as a child, not so much now.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

When I'm really nervous or stressed I do it. I noticed I few years ago that I always did it after making "adult" phone calls, which is a thing I hate...

Fuzzyair
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2018, 8:45 am

I don't flap my hands like a birds wings but they do move around a lot lol :D . I kind of feel like the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) because when I talk my hands are moving all over the place. It bothered me at first but now I like it :) . It's an eccentric trait that adds to my unique personality :mrgreen: .

TheCheekyRambler
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2018, 6:56 pm

I flap when very agitated especially when trying to figure out what im doing in the kitchen whilst cooking tea ot anything that requires a few steps to follow.

I flap when trying to avoid hitting my head during meltdowns.

I stretch and roll my fingers when out in public, i also twirl my index finger in a figure 8 to sooth myself when relaxing or thinking.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 155 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2019, 1:56 pm

I flap my hands a lot.

I flap my hands when Im excited or really like something and sometimes I get excited by minor things such as petting my cats. I sometimes do riding lessons and I really like horses. I flap my hands because of that. I flap my hands when Im listening to music I like. I flap my hands when talking about my special interests. Sometimes I also just get into a mood where I feel goofy and I flap my hands for no reason other than it feels really good and makes me laugh.

MoonRiver
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2019, 11:19 am

Loads and even more now that I know I’m an autie. And I don’t care :)

ids
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2019, 10:19 pm

none. I have other stims. They havent gone away as I have aged. Saying my mantra works.

Here is the steeple

Soylent Green is made out of people.