Families/ Autistic Children Get A Break At Israeli Vacation

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 4:07 pm

Families With Autistic Children Get A Break At Israeli Vacation Spot
Aluteva is the only vacation spot in Israel, and possibly in the world, designed to cater to families with autistic children. The clues quickly become obvious; the campus is enclosed by fences and a security gate, the pool is raised instead of at ground level, and a young boy paces in a repeated pattern along the cement paths, clapping his hands.

Aluteva doesn't have the funds or intention to offer five star amenities, but it provides one amenity that makes some families feel like it's a five star resort: sensitivity to the needs of children with autism. view article

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 4:59 pm

What about soundproofing for all the carnage going on outside?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 11:18 am

Thats the most refreshing thing I've seen here in ages. How ironic that with half the aspies on this forum bagging the hell out of Israel, the Israelis seem to be the only people doing something right for Autism.
The states are a mixed bag of mental health services at best, and the UK isn't much better, but little old war-starting world-peace threatening Zionist run-shouldnt-exist Israel have gone out of their way to give us a retreat, a holiday spot.

The article mentions 5 to 6000 Israelis have autism.. and theres a good chance some of them are aspergers, just like us. Are we supposed to hate them as well then?

I applaud the Israelis for this. Good Work chaps.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 3:49 pm

Tequila wrote:

Ever visited Israel? I have. The streets in most areas are safer than here in the US, at both day and night. Look up the stats. The media just love jazzing it up into a war zone, but it simply isn't. It's a beautiful country!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 7:04 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Ever visited Israel? I have. The streets in most areas are safer than here in the US, at both day and night. Look up the stats. The media just love jazzing it up into a war zone, but it simply isn't. It's a beautiful country!

I'm sure some thought Sun City was a great place to go on holiday during apartheid. Aimlessly unawares of the townships of Soweto and Alexandra only 2 hours away, and that they were in what was effectively a puppet 'state'. In a way "Grand Apartheid" and bantustans are not dissimilar to the situation in West Bank and Gaza.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 5:03 am

I'd heard that for a while Palestine was starting to gather quite a tourist trade.

Unless you're in a total war situation, most places can get away with being tourist spots and having a warzone. Look at africa. Half the countries there have got a tourist trade, and bands of "rebels" attacking Government troops somewhere in the bush. I'm making the probably safe assumption that Israel tends to situate its holiday resorts AWAY from the areas prone to rocket attack. That or Thomas Cook have got better funding than the IDF, and have very good anti-missile systems.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 6:57 am

jaydog wrote:
... and a young boy paces in a repeated pattern along the cement paths, clapping his hands.

Are we meant to understand that this kid's function is decorative? "Quick, Moishe, we have visitors... bring out the autistic boy!"