Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 5:19 pm

Book Review: Animals in Translation : Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior.

Temple Grandin draws upon a long, distinguished career as an animal scientist and her own experiences with autism to deliver an extraordinary message about how animals act, think, and feel. She has a perspective like that of no other expert in the field, which allows her to offer unparalleled observations and groundbreaking ideas. People with autism can often think the way animals think, putting them in the perfect position to translate "animal talk." Grandin is a faithful guide into their world, exploring animal pain, fear, aggression, love, friendship, communication, learning, and, yes, even animal genius. view article

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 7:15 pm

I wouldn't doubt it. Just from my time working with horses they seem to share a simple, one track mindset similar to mine.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Sep 2007, 8:32 pm

Hmm... id like to hear how she thinks they are connected, and im sure they are. Its cool cause ive been very close to dosile deer on more then 1 occasion and have had a couple strange cat encounters (i dont own one!) in the past...

heh, just those 2-3 times, and ive even had witnesses, tell me the animals did not appear afriad but eather not bothered by my precence or even happy I was their?!

well never truly know

TruthfulTrout
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2007, 7:59 pm

I used to have cats, and whenever one would walk up to me, I always somehow knew whether it wanted to be petted or fed or given water or whatnot. It was a pretty weird feeling.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 8:05 pm

i dont know, but i always seem to get along great with animals, dogs, cats mainly, they seem to know its ok to come to me and they usually enjoy my company.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 9:56 pm

Animals think in pictures just like ppl with autism.

mysticaria
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2007, 12:24 pm

It's a very good book, I highly recommend it. Unlike many "animal behaviour" books for the general public,
she backs her points by referencing solid scientific research. She discusses how people with autism think similarly in terms of
more visual than verbal, and react predictably to disruptive changes in the environment. It covers a lot of interesting topics, with plenty of entertaining anecdotes as well.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 12:53 pm

thyme wrote:
Animals think in pictures just like ppl with autism.

Hi Thyme, can I ask what you meant by your comment please?
Whenever I think of anything I see it in a visual form, and I assumed everybody else did as well.

Are you saying only those on the Autistic spectrum think this way?
If so, how on earth do NTs think?